• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Bayern Munich 4 Chelsea 1 (7 - 1 on aggregate)

17 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

I suppose it might be a disaster for you ...

Plus we gained a lot of neutral fans this season ...

I thought 'disastrous' was too much, too. Then I got to your line about non-Chelsea fans liking us a bit more and a shiver ran down my spine. The most damning of praise. Give me being despised through fear any day.

Suppose the season expectations thread needs bumping for this chat, but that there is a little truth in both the 'season has been cr*p' and 'season has been a success' perspectives. There is no arguing that the outcome in the league is better than even the most optimistic could have hoped for, and we've managed to do some of the foundational rebuilding work pretty quickly. The flipside is that foundational work is often about realising who isn't going to cut it, and that's been made clear by plenty of pathetic performances and results both on the pitch and the sidelines. Losing a quarter of your PL games and conceding more goals than you have since 1997 tells a story on its own, and it isn't a story of individual incompetence.

We could finish 4th again next year, ostensibly making no 'progress' and I'd be happy-ish; next year we need to be matching performances with the outcome.

JaneB   
10 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

7-1 against Bayern. 

Embarrassing to be honest. There’s so much work to be done defensively. First step must be to buy defenders that actually know about defending. Christensen sure as hell ain’t one of them. Absolute w***. 

Why do you do that?  Say what you like in conversation and I'm sure you do, but not on here.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, Bison said:

It's finally over. We limped over the line and somehow got a Champions League spot but what a disastrous campaign. We got worse as the season went on which says a lot about the players but more so the manager.

Yup.  And our best players from last year were considerably worse.  (So was Hazard who had just had his best season ever).
Says a lot about 2 managers I reckon.

22 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Yup.  And our best players from last year were considerably worse.  (So was Hazard who had just had his best season ever).
Says a lot about 2 managers I reckon.

We'll, seeing as Hazard was responsible for, what was it, 68% (?) of all our goals last season, maybe the fear of leaving Hazard unattended meant that everyone else was under less intense pressure. 

One thing I do know is Sarri is done. If he gets another job in football it'll be with a mid table side with absolutely no expectation of success. He's a system manager and his system bores the pants off successful players. 

kratos   

Sadly we are in no position to compete with Europe's best at this stage. We are a ways off to compete domestically.

I don't want to sound like a broken record but we really screwed ourselves back in 2017 with the 5 we brought in and none of them improved us at all. (4 are no longer here).

Fresh from winning the title and like before just couldn't build on it.

Like 2010 and 2015.

JaneB   
1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Really? So, what exactly were your expectations? Personally, before we kicked a ball this season and based on the squad Lampard inherited, the fact our new manager couldn't sign ANY players and we had sold our (by far) best player in the summer who contributed to at least 50% of our goals previously, the injuries we had for the start of the season and the realisation we would have to rely on some of our academy players who hadn't ever played PL football, I honestly went into the season with the expectations of:

- get top 6 and ensure some kind of European football next season (exceeded)
- have a decent cup run (check!)
- get out of the group stages of the CL (check!)
- blood some youngsters and begin building foundations for us to move forward into a new era (check)

Are these the expectations I have going into next season? Absolutely not and I'll judge next season against my expectations for that one, but to call this last campaign as disastrous is ridiculous. We had some disastrous moments, but the season overall, I would say we've done alright.

In terms of the assistant manager, completely agree, I said it months ago and I'd say it even louder now, but again to say that this doesn't bode well for Frank seems slightly unfair, do you think all the great managers do it alone or do you think all the great managers have exceptional support staff and assist managers? Go and ask Fergie if he'd have been as successful as he was without those assistant managers he had through his career. If it doesn't bode well for anyone, it's Jody Morris I would say.

In terms of where we go and find one, that is a very good question. I'd go all out for Steve Holland, I'm sure he could split his time between Chelsea and England if he really needed to.

I’ve said many times on here that Steve Holland was a huge loss ☹️

I just can’t see it happening though. Don’t think he’d be allowed to split his time and Frank’s pride might get in the way too. It shouldn’t of course, having a great No 2 is invaluable.

I don’t know enough to criticise Jody Morris in particular but maybe it’s the case that you shouldn’t mix business and friendships 🤔 

chelboy   
1 hour ago, Bison said:

It's finally over. We limped over the line and somehow got a Champions League spot but what a disastrous campaign. We got worse as the season went on which says a lot about the players but more so the manager.

Absolutely but where do you find one? And we need one badly and that itself doesn't bode well for Lampard. 

I find it funny that you say we limped over the line for a CL place considering we were in top 4 for a good amount of time. United are the ones that got lucky in the end and limped over. As for a “disastrous campaign” what a load of rubbish. I’m pretty sure you were one of those saying we would end up mid table after we lost 4-0 in the opening game. 

Anyway, people can complain about how we got there in the end if it pleases them but we are far from a finished article in both management and players but overall  this season was a positive one. I would judge more on tactics and organisation when the manager brings in his own defensive personnel. From what I have seen this season there are a few players that would struggle in an expansive style of football. Last season football was more based on 3 DM’s giving us a solid base while we had a world class forward carrying the attacking side. We didn’t put many players in the box and kept possession better.  That was a better balance mainly because it gave Hazard more freedom and responsibility. When he didn’t turn up we looked a bit clueless though. That wouldn’t have worked this season as Pulisic isn’t as creative and wouldn’t have been available all season. 

The attacking side was what I worried about the most at the start. I felt we would struggle but the expansive direct approach helped us out a lot especially Tammy and Giroud. They benefited the most from it. Pushing more numbers into the box with Mount and Pulisic helped the strikers too.  I know some would have preferred a more cagey style but for this season I think being more attacking was the right way to go. I don’t think we could win games 1-0 being tight and solid. Our best approach was to attack and create more than needed due to the lack of creativity and goal scoring ability. 

Next season we don’t have to be as expansive due to having better attackers. Lamps needs to find more balance in our play and bringing in a real DM is probably more important than the CB. Someone really needs to sit in front of the back 4. Rice is needed far more in the midfield than CB position. 

Overall I have enjoyed the season it’s just a sour ending which brings us back to reality which is needed sometimes. 

Holymoly   

I got the feeling that the club wanted the season done after the cup final and this was an inconvenience, especially after the first leg. Also bear in mind Bayern had weeks to rest up and prepare whereas we had been playing high stress games for a month. Hopefully injuries don't mean a slow start to next season but they certainly aren't going to help. Frank's comments about having identified the areas we need to strengthen were reassuring however I'm not sure where we're going to get those players in the next month now.