• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Bayern Munich 4 Chelsea 1 (7 - 1 on aggregate)

JaneB   

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/53357383

Academic but there it is...…………….Napoli or Barca!!

Not much of a reward for a 4 - 0 win! 

This should be even more fun given the issues with our squad:

Alonso & Jorginho suspended
Azpilicueta, Gilmour, Pulisic & Pedro injured
Willian, RLC & Kante not fully fit (at best)

Presume we'll see a bench with some extra youth on and no idea what team we'll see, maybe now is the time to try Tammy and Giroud together, unless Willian is fully fit to start? I personally wouldn't risk Kante in this, leave him on the bench again and let him recover properly for a change.

Caballero

James Zouma Rudiger Emerson

Mount - Kovacic - Barkley

CHO

Giroud Tammy

Subs: Kepa, Tomori, Christensen, Kante, RLC, Anjorin, Willian, Batshuayi, Broja

I can't remember the CL registration rules ... Can we just send kids?

I would seriously consider it. Perhaps Azpi and Pulisic pulled up from explosive bursts that could have happened at any time, but I doubt it; I think that was likely the cumulative lack of recovery. If they've torn their hamstrings, we're looking at them missing pre-seaon entirely and then playing catch up from October/November. Losing anyone else in a similar fashion could be, and I choose this word deliberately, a disaster for our prospects in all competitions next season. I would not risk anyone throwing good after bad. 

• Like 1

On 11/07/2020 at 10:09 AM, Willian Dollar Baby said:

Well their last game was on 4th July so will have been over a month without competitive action for them..... 

They're used to that, they've only got two difficult games per season. 

16 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Are Arsenal's players better than ours? The league table suggests otherwise. Yet they got the result today. If the manager doesn't make a difference to the players you have ... Then why have a manager?

The response I'd be more interested in reading would be do you disagree that our tactics were completely wrong today. I love Lampard but struggle with the idea that anyone could watch that game and not think he got it completely wrong.

The top part is just a circular argument.  You could equally say the table shows we have the better manager and therefore our players were to blame today.

I still think people are asking the wrong question about Frank.
Has he done Okay this year? (yes, if not outstandingly) - is an irrelevant question.
We can compare him with previous re-build managers - Ranieri,  RDM, Hiddink first time, AVB, none of which were expected to win stuff, rather hold the reins while some serious talent was brought in.  In comparison he has done well.
Next season, given the relative change in budgets post Covid, will be a go out and win something big year.

Next year the aim is to have a Lester Piggott coach to win trophies if it kills the horse.
next year the standard is JM mk1, Scolari (big failure), CA (1year good, one year poor), JM mk2*  and Conte.  All of these were expected to win the PL title in their first season.*

That is the standard that Frank needs to be judged by, and I am not sure he is there (and I am damned sure he doesn't have a team ready for that).

* Jm mk2 was given 1 year to prepare.   'Two horses and a little horse that still needs milk and to learn how to jump' was how he described his team that year (still got 82 points).  But expectations were raised after 12 months,