• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Leicester City 0 Chelsea 1

9 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Barkley plays in midfield. At present, we've got Kante, Jorginho, Kova, Mount, RLC and Gilmour. 7 options for 3 positions.

Ziyech MAY feature in midfield, but with Willian and Pedro leaving Ziyech is more likely to play in the front 3 IMO - along with Pulisic, CHO and possibly Werner out wide as well. (Thinking of it, the club should really renew Willian unless we have got someone like Havertz up our sleeves.)

Anyway, Barkley's clearly got a place in the squad next year. Especially when you consider either Jorgi or Kante may move on.

Maybe Frank, the guy who is seeing Barkley up close everyday in training is seeing something that you're unable to...?

Barkley plays in midfield:  Except he doesn't.  He plays a No 8 role that is really a 3rd AM rather than a 3rd CM.  As does RLC.  Mount is the only player we have that can mix 3rd AM and 3rd CM in the same game. 

Maybe Frank, the guy who is seeing Barkley up close everyday in training is seeing something that you're unable to...?:
Yet Mount got 2482 mins In the Prem so far this season (2nd after Azpi on 2600) and Barkley has got only 783 (17th).
My conclusion is that SFL sees much the same as I do.  

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

I have stated my opinoion on Barkley several times, and at risk of repeating myself, it is frustrating, ........

In regards to next season, with the arrival of Werner and Ziyech, you would think that is the end of Mount playing in the front 3, so the chances for Barkley reduce further....

Well worth repeating

22 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

However, if he is happy to be used as a squad player even I would keep him. If nothing else you can throw him on late in games and just tell him to try and grab a goal.

We are talking of adding 3 players.  If he is happy that is a problem at once.

19 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

I also think Jorgy or Kante will move on too. 

0 mins and 270 mins so far after the restart.  There are certainly question marks over one of them.  Pity - but then Juve must be a big draw for him.
Barkley adds absolutely nothing as a replacement for either.

Edited by Droy was my hero

Holymoly   
15 hours ago, Rob B said:

One week ago I would have bitten your hand off for 3 wins from 3, which included beating Man City and progressing past Leicester to the FA Cup semi finals. 

A lot of teams have been slow out of the blocks but generally we’ve been very good and I’ve been really impressed with Frank’s in-game management and substitutions. 

If we can win our next couple of games I think we’ll overtake Leicester and that’ll be some season all things considered.

Bugger third, I'm starting to look at overhauling City ;-)

• Like 3

paulw66   
1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

0 mins and 270 mins so far after the restart.  There are certainly question marks over one of them.  Pity - but then Juve must be a big draw for him.
Barkley adds absolutely nothing as a replacement for either.

Currently swapping Pjanic for Arthur......have no idea what role Arthur plays, but imagine it might kybosh any move for Jorgi. The fact he hasn't kicked a ball for us yet is a real surprise. If this continues, he must be out the door. 

14 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Currently swapping Pjanic for Arthur......have no idea what role Arthur plays, but imagine it might kybosh any move for Jorgi. The fact he hasn't kicked a ball for us yet is a real surprise. If this continues, he must be out the door. 

Maybe not Juve then.  But if he is out the door it will be the same way we booted Sarri.  Out to a club with a lot of money.

Ref Barkley, I just don't see it and I never have in a Chelsea shirt. Yes he has done alright recently, but as Paul points our, yesterday was the perfect microcosm of Ross Barkley. Great run and finish for the goal, yet was clearly clueless and it was a certainty he would mess up the 4 on 3 counter attack to bury the game. At no point during that break I thought he would pick and execute the right pass, nor score the goal to finish the game. It didn't even enter my head as a possibility. He did exactly as I knew he would and its because he has no brain.

The thing is he has set such a low marker for himself, if he produces the odd 7/10 performance then people seem to want to overplay that with praise. He is just by far the most frustrating and underwhelming player at the club. I will never get at him as its not my style and achieves nothing, but every time I seem him play, my body gives out a huge sigh as I know we have at least 3 better options who should be playing ahead of him.

Sold to the nearest bidder for around £25 million for me.

Blue Rod   
45 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

Ref Barkley, I just don't see it and I never have in a Chelsea shirt. Yes he has done alright recently, but as Paul points our, yesterday was the perfect microcosm of Ross Barkley. Great run and finish for the goal, yet was clearly clueless and it was a certainty he would mess up the 4 on 3 counter attack to bury the game. At no point during that break I thought he would pick and execute the right pass, nor score the goal to finish the game. It didn't even enter my head as a possibility. He did exactly as I knew he would and its because he has no brain.

The thing is he has set such a low marker for himself, if he produces the odd 7/10 performance then people seem to want to overplay that with praise. He is just by far the most frustrating and underwhelming player at the club. I will never get at him as its not my style and achieves nothing, but every time I seem him play, my body gives out a huge sigh as I know we have at least 3 better options who should be playing ahead of him.

I'm in agreement here.  I used to defend Barkley against all sorts of criticism. But I have seen enough to decide for myself.

There are no circumstances under which Chelsea should field a player who consistently cannot do such most basic thing as pick a correct pass under a simple attacking situation. I can think of so many better options for the so-called squad role.

What Barkley did yesterday with those passes are the things he's done every time he has played for us. He looks completely overwhelmed running with the ball, his body goes into contortion, his legs start to wobble, he seems to be freezing and running at the same time; ... all these over making a simple pass. And after the dithering, he always either picks the wrong pass or execute it poorly.

Deeper in midfield, he has even more problems.

Let's be honest here. It's not just about his decision making. Even when Barkley has finally decided whom to pass to, the simple pass is executed so poorly that it is simply useless.

Edited by Blue Rod

paulw66   
26 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

I'm in agreement here.  I used to defend Barkley against all sorts of criticism. But I have seen enough to decide for myself.

There are no circumstances under which Chelsea should field a player who consistently cannot do such most basic thing as pick a correct pass under a simple attacking situation. I can think of so many better options for the so-called squad role.

What Barkley did yesterday with those passes are the things he's done every time he has played for us. He looks completely overwhelmed running with the ball, his body goes into contortion, his legs start to wobble, he seems to be freezing and running at the same time; ... all these over making a simple pass. And after the dithering, he always either picks the wrong pass or execute it poorly.

Deeper in midfield, he has even more problems.

Let's be honest here. It's not just about his decision making. Even when Barkley has finally decided whom to pass to, the simple pass is executed so poorly that it is simply useless.

Yup.

1 hour ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

and yup.

The 4 on 2 counter yesterday should have lead to someone having a nice open goal to tap into. 

chelboy   

Lamps called him a big player for us yesterday. I don’t think he has ever called Barkley that before. Maybe there’s something in training we don’t see but on the pitch it’s clear to see his problems . Considering the change in playing two no.8’s rather than two DM’s, Barkley may actually play far more games than we expect during the end of the season.

By bringing in Barkley for Jorginho  we have basically given up ball possession for a more mobile midfielder who may score sometimes but in the build up is a liability. It’s interesting to see how we balance the midfield in this part of the campaign and what happens when Kante doesn’t play. Seems during the break Lamps must have watched our games  and  felt controlling the game didn’t give us an advantage overall. Barkley Kante Mount is our most energetic and mobile midfield when you think about it. Maybe this is the new look we are going to be seeing next season with an upgrade on Barkley I am guessing. 

6 hours ago, paulw66 said:

and the nagging possibility that Willian does stay.

William is now my Marmite

I was in favour for him to go last summer, however with the ongoing squad rebuild, his natural class and commitment "being very evident since the restart" giving him another years contract is probably sound business.

3 hours ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

You can get a top European for that price this summer.

1 hour ago, chelboy said:

Lamps called him a big player for us yesterday. I don’t think he has ever called Barkley that before.

Dunno.  It seems to me that Barkley has been given effusive praise by 3 of our managers now.  I suspect that is more to do with Barkley banging on doors literally rather than metaphorically.