• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Coronavirus COVID-19

My partner was born and grew up under the old USSR regime, I said weeks ago the Chinese seemed to be lying about this stuff. Her response "of course, all communist governments lie, it's in their DNA. Russia lies constantly as it cannot be seen to be weak or inferior to the west" 

(she does have a lot of positives about the old regime so it's not an anti communist rant)

9 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Just like there are people on here who want to deny anything critical of Russia or China. 

I just wish I got paid like the people that write that stuff got paid.

But seriously MT, do you actually have a view on whether any of these preposterous and unbiased claims could be true, or are you just posting about me?

1 hour ago, r.bartlett said:

My partner was born and grew up under the old USSR regime, I said weeks ago the Chinese seemed to be lying about this stuff. Her response "of course, all communist governments lie, it's in their DNA. Russia lies constantly as it cannot be seen to be weak or inferior to the west" 

(she does have a lot of positives about the old regime so it's not an anti communist rant)

There is a Russian joke from the 1990s.  
You know what, all those things they said about Russia and the Soviet Union in the past, they were all lies.
And all those things they said about the USA, they were all true.

I think Soviets knew very well when they were lied to.  It seems Brits aren't so sure.

JaneB   
16 hours ago, chara said:

OK...first pic is "main road" coming home about 11-30 am.from store..us 285...usually very busy.

Second is driving out from picking up eggs.

Third is in the valley just below us about a mile from our turn off.

And filled  truck up at gas station..$1.79 gall....

Keep safe

IMG_1932road 2.jpeg

IMG_1934egg 1.jpeg

IMG_1937road 1.jpeg

Never mind about football, can you just keep giving us your daily updates and posting these gorgeous pics?  

11 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Just like there are people on here who want to deny anything critical of Russia or China. 

I don't know if it's necessarily about denying those two countries are generous with the truth so much as it is about being critical of them being positioned as exceptions. Can't say I know what the government where you are are doing in response, but here we have eyebrows being raised by changing methods in how deaths are recorded and how the advice on the gov.uk website often changes without any sort of version control that acknowledges different (sometimes directly contrary) advice was there just a few days or hours earlier.

In terms of the UK, I'm inclined to think issues like those are less about cover-ups and more about a fractured, localised silo way of working across local authorities and health trusts with a healthy dollop of cabinet incompetence thrown in for good measure. I think the same will be true for lots of countries, but in some cases the story of deliberate and nefarious cover-ups is a more attractive way to interpret actions. The government here wasn't at all critical of China's handling or sharing of information until it started getting so much heat from WHO and mainland Europe about how inadequate its ' herd immunity' response had been, and then suddenly Michael Gove is ringing up journalists to criticise China.

I fully expect China has, one way or another, mislead its people and the world on coronavirus. But they won't be alone in that, and other culprits will very happily deflect valid criticism aimed at them by pointing at China. 

chara   
1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

I don't know if it's necessarily about denying those two countries are generous with the truth so much as it is about being critical of them being positioned as exceptions. Can't say I know what the government where you are are doing in response, but here we have eyebrows being raised by changing methods in how deaths are recorded and how the advice on the gov.uk website often changes without any sort of version control that acknowledges different (sometimes directly contrary) advice was there just a few days or hours earlier.

In terms of the UK, I'm inclined to think issues like those are less about cover-ups and more about a fractured, localised silo way of working across local authorities and health trusts with a healthy dollop of cabinet incompetence thrown in for good measure. I think the same will be true for lots of countries, but in some cases the story of deliberate and nefarious cover-ups is a more attractive way to interpret actions. The government here wasn't at all critical of China's handling or sharing of information until it started getting so much heat from WHO and mainland Europe about how inadequate its ' herd immunity' response had been, and then suddenly Michael Gove is ringing up journalists to criticise China.

I fully expect China has, one way or another, mislead its people and the world on coronavirus. But they won't be alone in that, and other culprits will very happily deflect valid criticism aimed at them by pointing at China. 

Good analysis tvf......a couple of nights ago I watched one of the most disturbing documentaries I have ever seen...."One Child Nation"...it was on PBS..(Public tv)...  only watch it if you have a chance if you have a brave heart and a strong soul...maybe you have had it there....again...I say this with a strong warning.

Coronavirus: Champions League and Europa League suspended by Uefa. 

All Champions League and Europa League matches have been suspended "until further notice" by Uefa because of the global coronavirus pandemic. All national team games scheduled for June have also been postponed, including play-off matches for Euro 2020, which has been moved to 2021, and qualifying matches for the Women's Euro 2021. The decision follows Wednesday's meeting of Uefa's 55 member associations.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52121463

4 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

I just wish I got paid like the people that write that stuff got paid.

But seriously MT, do you actually have a view on whether any of these preposterous and unbiased claims could be true, or are you just posting about me?

There is a Russian joke from the 1990s.  
You know what, all those things they said about Russia and the Soviet Union in the past, they were all lies.
And all those things they said about the USA, they were all true.

I think Soviets knew very well when they were lied to.  It seems Brits aren't so sure.

I went to Russia in 1976 and having been to over 15 european countries by then they were by far the nicest people I'd ever met. Genuinely lovely people. It was there I learnt to distinguish between state and people. 

My partner  holiday rents out her property here for the last few years via FB & AirBnB the customers are from all over Europe (Uk too) 

She said only 5 minutes ago after getting off the phone from one of them,  "not one tenant  from another country messaged  if I was alright, not one Russian tenant hasn't messaged if I am alright."

2 minutes ago, r.bartlett said:

She said only 5 minutes ago after getting off the phone from one of them,  "not one tenant  from another country messaged  if I was alright, not one Russian tenant hasn't messaged if I am alright."

My experience in Poland suggests a slightly cynical reason for that - the news programs love grabbing any newsfilm of tragedies which are cheap to buy, a little sensational and are in English so easy to translate and re-package.  Minor UK flooding gets shown more often than serious Polish flooding which would require a Polish cameraman to be sent to the spot over long distances.
E Europeans are nice people, and generally very knowledgeable about the world with a natural scepticism which helps.  But also with all the reports of Russian planes flying roundabout routes to Italy (because of Nato blocking) full of equipment and doctors, and now even to USA, I guess Russians are feeling pretty smug, as are the Chinese.
It must be very much like being a Chelsea supporter - you know all the hate media is about jealousy.

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

In terms of the UK, I'm inclined to think issues like those are less about cover-ups and more about a fractured, localised silo way of working across local authorities...........

Quite, whereas if you wanted to write a hit piece it would be very very easy.

chara   
6 minutes ago, r.bartlett said:

I went to Russia in 1976 and having been to over 15 european countries by then they were by far the nicest people I'd ever met. Genuinely lovely people. It was there I learnt to distinguish between state and people. 

My partner  holiday rents out her property here for the last few years via FB & AirBnB the customers are from all over Europe (Uk too) 

Distinguish between state and people......  my sister spent time in Russia on Education exchange projects.... always speaks highly of friends she made there and is still in touch with..although she is circumspect in her correspondence .....she had to learn Russian before the program..... I struggle with correct English!..(Not that it notices over here..one eyed horse etc)

Heartening to read the posts here......

chara   

I have travelled modestly and lived in different communities as opposed to vacationing in spots.

It always comes down to the same thing..it's the people I remember even in some wonderful locations..always the memory of the real people ..that's what I treasure.