• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Coronavirus COVID-19

26 minutes ago, Ham said:

The eating of the animals isn't the issue. What is it with you and Comrade Droy?

It's the boiling dogs alive in oil and skinning dogs alive that's the effing issue.

Pure unnecessary evil for the sake of it.

Well said. 

1 hour ago, Ham said:

The eating of the animals isn't the issue. What is it with you and Comrade Droy?

It's the boiling dogs alive in oil and skinning dogs alive that's the effing issue.

Pure unnecessary evil for the sake of it.

55 minutes ago, Jonny_CFC said:

Look up the Yulin dog market.

There does seem to have been a big Chinese reaction to the publicity and it seems to have come to an end from the wikipedia article on Yulin.  So that is yet another victory for Chinese openness and democracy.  
Not quite sure how it compares with Yemen.  Or veal.  Or monkeys being tested with Novichok.  Or even lobster eating or that matter.
I think some propagandist saw you lot coming and said "I know exactly what'll get them going about China".

Ham   
15 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

There does seem to have been a big Chinese reaction to the publicity and it seems to have come to an end from the wikipedia article on Yulin.  So that is yet another victory for Chinese openness and democracy.  
Not quite sure how it compares with Yemen.  Or veal.  Or monkeys being tested with Novichok.  Or even lobster eating or that matter.
I think some propagandist saw you lot coming and said "I know exactly what'll get them going about China".

I'm done with this discussion. 

38 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I think some propagandist saw you lot coming 

As far as I can tell, there's only one 'propagandist' on here regarding China or Russia, and that's you. Had enough, and I advise you to stop it  now, while you still can.

8 hours ago, Ham said:

The eating of the animals isn't the issue. 

Doesn't this line just demonstrate how pointless an argument this is?

I'm not going to get on anyone's case for eating meat. I did for years, and even now I'm just veggie rather than vegan and can't come even close to claiming I universally make 'ethical' consumer choices, if they are even a thing (they aren't imo, but that doesn't make anyone a bad person).

Seems absolutely daft to me though to have an argument about the moral rights and wrongs of how to kill animals on a mass scale to eat, from a starting point of it being morally fine to kill animals on a mass scale to eat. Just shows we're arguing the toss over opinions and nothing even close to practical or objective realities, no matter how much anyone asserts otherwise. 

I'm sure there are Chinese PETA members aghast at British battery farms, where chickens live in darkness and basically on top of each other. It would suit them to focus on that over their dog markets.

On a different topic, changed up my running route this morning to make sure with my own eyes that Stamford Bridge is still standing. It is, as is the Finbourough Arms! 

Screenshot_20200403-072739_Connect.jpg

Sciatika   

I am beginning to get used to the social distancing thing now. It just takes a little thinking ahead. Being retired helps because I am used to organising my own time. Alongside normal activities (playing the guitar, doing housework, food preparation), I have a set of projects for the summer. This includes revision for summer exams and the reading for next year's dissertation. I also want to finish a music album that's been on the go for a couple of years. My book pile is huge, mostly history, economics and politics. I am not reading so many novels at the moment. Since playing football has been cancelled, I need exercise so I am gradually cleaning all kitchen cupboards. I might do the windows or even do a bit of decorating. So I split the day up and do small pieces at a time so I don't get fed up with any individual task. I do it slowly because I am in no rush. My days are long. I have never needed much sleep and as I get older I seem to need less and less. In the evenings I spend a bit of time picking up the news, listening to podcasts or even some youtube. Some things need thinking about. I am putting off trimming the hedge because I have to stand outside on the pavement and in my neighbour's gardens. I am not sure how I will do that yet. I need to drop them a mail.

Mostly, social distancing is pretty straight forward if you are used to not going out much. Before I was spending three days a week in the library. Now, on most days, I stay in. However, yesterday was shopping day and I shop locally rather than go to out of town shops. I shop in the afternoon on a weekday to avoid people and after the special times allocated for the vulnerable and 'key' workers. As I said before, my partner is vulnerable and so it is all about getting me and the shopping home uninfected. So, I wrap up in my coat, hat, scarf and gloves so only my eyes are visible. I look a right sight. I place a damp soapy cloth in a plastic bag in my pocket. I walk to town (about 20 minutes). I select shops as much on numbers of customers as anything else. I am much less fussy than I was. I used to avoid particular countries of origin, buy organic and so on. It seems less of a concern. Lidl had a queue but not Sainsbury's so I went there. I use my soapy cloth to wipe the trolley. The shop was well stocked. I only touch things I am buying and when I do I am wearing gloves. I place the goods in my trolley and then use the self checkout facility placing the goods in my bags. I pay with a card so no money changes hands. Then I struggle home regretting that I had got so much - I do it every time proving that I am an idiot. I end up sweating so much carrying the goods that people cross the road to avoid me. Once home, I divide the kitchen surfaces into a 'dirty' counter and a clean counter. I place the shopping bags in dirty. I place my outdoor clothes on a radiator (or in the wash). I thoroughly wash my hands and face. I then work through each item removing or cleaning the packaging and placing them in the clean area. I discard as much packaging as possible mostly to the recycling bin. I clean the shopping bags and put them away and then I repeat the washing ritual (hands and face). Then I put all the shopping away. It sounds like a faff but does not take very long.

In the end, it is whatever it takes.

Jasonb   

I had an issue with my car the day before the lockdown started, which was a real pain.

The option is a 25 minute walk or 12 minute walk and a train, I don't do buses.

I have used Tesco more than other shop not because I like them yet because currently it is more practical being open later.

Managed to get substitutes less healthy than my normal fare and you taste it at first though you can get most things barring eggs down my way. 

I don't think the 2m zone is practical in the aisles either and noticed at both Tescos and a recent trip to Waitrose most people do not seem concerned they just follow the restrictions when asked yet when no-one is there behavior changes.

10 hours ago, Tammy's right foot said:

Funny isn't it? Brits are happy to forgive Blair for a million dead Iraqis, but a very tiny small segment of the Chinese population feeding on non-farm raised animals? HERESY

I'm against the concept of eating animals altogether but the entire "wet markets" issue has just become an excuse to bash the Chinese with.

Yes I very much agree capitalism and its mutant offspring neoliberalism need to be called out.

Capitalism has saved half the planet from absolute poverty. Not to mention it has helped drive the healthcare industry so we now can save the other half from dying from illness. 

Its far from perfect but a damn sight better than anything we’ve ever had. That’s a fact. 

2 hours ago, Sciatika said:

My book pile is huge, mostly history, economics and politics.

Ouch - expensive.  I find my buy to read ratio on those subjects is about 3:1.  Best just to buy thrillers, I can get down to 1.5:1 on those.  Better still library and charity shop 2nd hand thrillers.  (But you can't get the class of books in charity shops in London that I could in Brighton)

3 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

On a different topic, changed up my running route this morning to make sure with my own eyes that Stamford Bridge is still standing. It is, as is the Finbourough Arms! 

You are making me very envious with 10k runs.  It is the perfect way to deal with too much time.

Sciatika   

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

Ouch - expensive.  I find my buy to read ratio on those subjects is about 3:1.  Best just to buy thrillers, I can get down to 1.5:1 on those.  Better still library and charity shop 2nd hand thrillers.  (But you can't get the class of books in charity shops in London that I could in Brighton).

I haven't bought a new book for years. I buy second hand and usually on the basis of recommendations by my lecturers or because I like the style fo the author. I picked up a couple of John Prebbles recently for a couple of quid and a copy of Polis for £3. I probably won't be buying more this summer because I have about 60-70 journal articles to read from JSTOR for my dissertation.