• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Coronavirus COVID-19

10 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Doesn't this line just demonstrate how pointless an argument this is?

I'm not going to get on anyone's case for eating meat. I did for years, and even now I'm just veggie rather than vegan and can't come even close to claiming I universally make 'ethical' consumer choices, if they are even a thing (they aren't imo, but that doesn't make anyone a bad person).

Seems absolutely daft to me though to have an argument about the moral rights and wrongs of how to kill animals on a mass scale to eat, from a starting point of it being morally fine to kill animals on a mass scale to eat. Just shows we're arguing the toss over opinions and nothing even close to practical or objective realities, no matter how much anyone asserts otherwise. 

I'm sure there are Chinese PETA members aghast at British battery farms, where chickens live in darkness and basically on top of each other. It would suit them to focus on that over their dog markets.

On a different topic, changed up my running route this morning to make sure with my own eyes that Stamford Bridge is still standing. It is, as is the Finbourough Arms! 

Screenshot_20200403-072739_Connect.jpg

I think you’ve missed the point a little.

Its not an argument about the most moral way to kill an animal.

Its the fact they will skin a dog alive as they believe the stress it causes the animal releases chemicals that makes the meat taste better.

Or how about drowning a big net full of dogs so their lungs fill with water and weigh a little more, so they get a few extra quid.

That’s slightly different to the option of buying free range or not.

If I’m daft for thinking that then so be it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

There does seem to have been a big Chinese reaction to the publicity and it seems to have come to an end from the wikipedia article on Yulin.  So that is yet another victory for Chinese openness and democracy.  
Not quite sure how it compares with Yemen.  Or veal.  Or monkeys being tested with Novichok.  Or even lobster eating or that matter.
I think some propagandist saw you lot coming and said "I know exactly what'll get them going about China".

Funny you say that as I bumped into a propagandist whilst queuing at the butchers a couple of weeks back. Do you think he played a Jedi mind trick on me?

By the way try eBay for your cheap second hand books, you’ll get the quality of thriller you’re seeking easily.

1 hour ago, Jonny_CFC said:

I thought it was an argument that says a country that allows mistreatment of dogs can be described as evil.  That is how the animal talk started.

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

I thought it was an argument that says a country that allows mistreatment of dogs can be described as evil.  That is how the animal talk started.

Not from me it wasn’t.

I didn’t say the country was evil.

I said I don’t agree with how the dog markets operate. If you want to call the individuals who torture the animals evil, then yes we could agree on that point.

Can you imagine if Dr Dolittle went on holiday in Yulin and stopped to chat with the dogs whilst they were being skinned alive. Oh the stories he could tell.

12 hours ago, Jonny_CFC said:

I think you’ve missed the point a little.

But ... It clearly is? Because you (and others), take exception to some ways of doing it but not others? I don't think I've missed any point, that is literally what has been happening in this thread; China's way of killing animals bad, 'our' way of killing animals not bad.

I mean, I agree the dog markets are absolutely horrific. I'm also enraged and saddened by, for example, Japanese whale and shark fishing. I'm not advocating some form of moral relativism whereby 'culture' explains away these practices. I do think though we need to be critical about how and why narratives about certain countries spread, and especially when those narratives are ones that could easily be applied to 'us' from a different perspective. I'm not sure a featherless chicken that has never seen sunlight and lives in another chicken's excrement would agree that free range or not free range isn't a big deal. 

Edited by thevelourfog

JaneB   
On 01/04/2020 at 8:44 PM, chara said:

On a lighter note...... for JaneB..with thanks for her work on the forum...From our living room window...

C6CFD805-44EB-483D-8939-F2FF6BA09943window deer.jpeg

PS.  Meant to say I love that blanket too!!!

chara   

Ah,,,,traded 1/2 bar of (valuable)Old Jamaica) for the blanket with local tribal people...barter is here and ready to go.......

JaneB   

Well worth it @chara

chara   

Colorado update..

Still only 3 cases in Park County..at least reported...instructions now are to wear face masks if "mixing" at store etc.

Mrs C is making masks this am....I would insist on a Chelsea one but do not want to cut up only Chelsea shirt I have....

-10C this am but sun up and not a cloud..yesterday snow and miserable grey skies..frost this am but 70's F forecast for later in week..Colorado!...

Think it is Saturday but usual pointers missing..by I get to B/fast it's usually "Do you want/I suppose you want breakfast on a tray?"....my response depends on game available without streaming....

Will catch up later and now the ante is up with deer etc have to delve into records!!

• Like 1