• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Coronavirus COVID-19

JaneB   
50 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

This would have been a great April Fools story, but of course it isn't and anyway don't feel we should be laughing too much at the moment.

chara   
Just now, JaneB said:

This would have been a great April Fools story, but of course it isn't and anyway don't feel we should be laughing too much at the moment.

Of course at one level you are absolutely right but humour has ever been a defence against the bad stuff.... it is a positive and that is always good.

KEEP SAFE...

• Like 1

Ham   
16 minutes ago, chara said:

Colorado update..

Still only 3 cases in Park County..at least reported...instructions now are to wear face masks if "mixing" at store etc.

Mrs C is making masks this am....I would insist on a Chelsea one but do not want to cut up only Chelsea shirt I have....

Screenshot_20200404-154004_Gallery.jpg

• Haha 1

chara   
1 minute ago, Ham said:

Screenshot_20200404-154004_Gallery.jpg

Thanks Ham...I'll watch out for that stuff..Mrs C has a strange sense of humour sometimes!

8 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

But ... It clearly is? Because you (and others), take exception to some ways of doing it but not others? I don't think I've missed any point, that is literally what has been happening in this thread; China's way of killing animals bad, 'our' way of killing animals not bad.

I mean, I agree the dog markets are absolutely horrific. I'm also enraged and saddened by, for example, Japanese whale and shark fishing. I'm not advocating some form of moral relativism whereby 'culture' explains away these practices. I do think though we need to be critical about how and why narratives about certain countries spread, and especially when those narratives are ones that could easily be applied to 'us' from a different perspective. I'm not sure a featherless chicken that has never seen sunlight and lives in another chicken's excrement would agree that free range or not free range isn't a big deal. 

The point I was trying to make was to distinguish the difference between killing an animal and deliberately torturing it.

You raise an interesting case with the factory farmed poultry and the conditions they are kept. I’m not sure it could be described as torture but it’s certainly a very unpleasant brief life that they have with what you can only imagine involves a high level of suffering. I would object to that in the same way as I would the dog skinning. So it’s not as simple as China bad, UK good. I’ve also read some horrific stories about ‘super farms’ in the US.

I would like to think free range gives people the option to choose a more conscientious way of farming, however I am dubious of some of the free range claims on packaging and what that exactly means.

The reality is large amounts of food need to be constantly produced so these practices will continue whether we like it or not. More people do seem to be trying alternatives to a meat heavy diet so maybe things will change.

China do tend to make it easy for them to be a target though, fuelling the demand of the ivory trade and the demand of endangered animal parts in Chinese medicine both come to mind,

chara   

First pic....The penchant the Yanks have for stating the obvious....sigh..

Second....My late cat would frighten even Chopper

Third..for JaneB and "Brownie Points!"..same window shot..

Keep Safe,,and smile as best we can....

IMG_0056 sign.jpeg

IMG_0407 gracie.jpeg

IMG_3221 fawn.jpeg

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Jonny_CFC said:

China do tend to make it easy for them to be a target though, fuelling the demand of the ivory trade and the demand of endangered animal parts in Chinese medicine both come to mind,

Only if you are solely an animal lover.  People lovers will ask why China not EU is handing out equipment around the world, and ask just who is sanctioning suppliers of medicine to Iran and Venezuela.
And lets be honest here, it is not China making itself a target, but people with an agenda exaggerating events with animals and making them up for humans.
The interesting question is why.

chara   

Bigfoot visiting during recent "cold snap",,from bedroom window...

IMG_1810 iceicles.jpeg

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

Only if you are solely an animal lover.  People lovers will ask why China not EU is handing out equipment around the world, and ask just who is sanctioning suppliers of medicine to Iran and Venezuela.
And lets be honest here, it is not China making itself a target, but people with an agenda exaggerating events with animals and making them up for humans.
The interesting question is why.

Only if you are an animal lover!!

What a ridiculous statement.

So you are quite happy for pangolins, rhinos, elephants and tigers to become extinct due to demand in China?

You don’t think there is any need for China to make an effort to stop the demand?

Your other statement is also bizarre, why would I create an agenda to hate China? I've no such desire. 

My only concern here is that I hate the thought that these species and many others could soon be extinct. Is that so difficult for you to understand?