• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Coronavirus COVID-19

38 minutes ago, Ham said:

We need to be keeping a social distance from the elderly whilst checking up on them in other ways. 

Just had the same conversation with my Mum , she's ill as it is and I always spend one night a week with her to make sure she's ok .

The company I work for made a delivery to Maclaren racing on Thursday and their storesman told our driver that they had a case (since publicised) and he'd only been talking to him the day before .

Our driver may now be infected and he's then brought that back to base !

Hence I'm worried about passing it to my mum .

Edited by Mark Kelly

Sciatika   

I have stopped worrying about it too much for myself. I am still only in my early sixties and am always horribly healthy (as Wisey would say). I worry for those who might lose their elderly loved ones. In my experience, the elderly are mostly phlegmatic about such things. It's those who care for them that are most affected. I have to make sure that my partner is as safe as I can make her, to care for her if she gets ill. So I am already distancing myself from everyone else.

I am not an epidemiological expert. There are a lot of people on twitter commenting who are also not experts. According to what I read (CMO and CSO), up to four-fifths of us will get COVID-19 because we have no immunity. COVID-19 appears to be fairly stable as far as flu mutations are concerned, this means that when we may be able to create a vaccine. However, that is months away from deployment. We could choose to lock down society, but the problem with that is that you tend to get the infections in waves over a long period because, inevitably, an infected person will escape the regime or enter the population. But because the virus is quite stable also means that herd immunity might work assuming you can get sufficient numbers immune. This is the strategy devised by the CMO/CSO and followed by the government. It is all about managing the rate of infection so that we can protect the most vulnerable while allowing immunity to be created in the population. Specific measures such as closing stadiums are simply controls on the strategy not a change in strategy. In my simple (not very scientific way) I visualise it as being like having a box full of white balls (uninfected). Introduce a grey ball (diseased) and it will infect some white balls. The grey balls may infect other white balls but most greys will become green (recovered and immune). If you have enough green balls in society, the number of greys is low and so the green protect the remaining white balls from becoming infected. However, apparently, the percentage required can be quite large. Some will, unfortunately, pass away mostly because the infection complicates an established condition just as they do with other diseases. This new disease will become a feature of the winter months when natural resistance is at its weakest. Both my parents died at this time of the year. There is little we can do about that. Will it work? I don't know.

I went to Tesco's this morning and was talking to the sales assistant who was coming to the end of her overnight shift. She told me that they closed the store in the night because people were fighting over stuff. More...once they had closed some people came in via the goods entrance! I thought to myself how do we get to be like this. Then a little later, my partner was telling me that she had heard people fighting over access to formula milk and I wondered why I would do if I could not get feed for my baby.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jasonb   
1 hour ago, Sciatika said:

I went to Tesco's this morning and was talking to the sales assistant who was coming to the end of her overnight shift. She told me that they closed the store in the night because people were fighting over stuff. More...once they had closed some people came in via the goods entrance! I thought to myself how do we get to be like this. Then a little later, my partner was telling me that she had heard people fighting over access to formula milk and I wondered why I would do if I could not get feed for my baby.

I was in Tescos at 9pm last night and was pretty empty though with shelves 60% full, close to normal.

I was in Waitrose earlier the week and everything was normal calm and well stocked.

I wonder if this scare thing is about post codes.

Jasonb   
4 hours ago, JaneB said:

Well everyone has free will and should use their common sense.  No one has to go to big public events.  But I think it's best they're all cancelled tbh.

I worry for the people that are self employed as opposed to employees.

Also those working in Cafes, restaurants, tourism, theaters, cinemas and planning events and expositions ect.

20 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

I was in Tescos at 9pm last night and was pretty empty though with shelves 60% full, close to normal.

I was in Waitrose earlier the week and everything was normal calm and well stocked.

Well some of us bought our toilet paper, chicken soup, beanz and pasta more than a month ago.  There was no shortage then.  Friends ordered everything through supermarket online delivery and got all they needed.

Draw your own conclusion, though a lot of it is about the ability to spend the next 3 months grocery bill in advance.

Sciatika   
52 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

Could be. My postcode is not enviable. :-)

• Like 1

JaneB   
54 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

I worry for the people that are self employed as opposed to employees.

Also those working in Cafes, restaurants, tourism, theaters, cinemas and planning events and expositions ect.

Of course.  

Just been out shopping. 

People are definitely not staying in. 

I'm vegan so nobody wants to eat "my" food so other than Pasta which has disappeared from the shelves everywhere I was OK. 

Ham   
8 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Just been out shopping. 

People are definitely not staying in. 

I'm vegan so nobody wants to eat "my" food so other than Pasta which has disappeared from the shelves everywhere I was OK. 

Are you really vegan? I only ask because you didn't mention that in your first ever post on here or allude to it in every other post since....

😉

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ham said:

Are you really vegan? I only ask because you didn't mention that in your first ever post on here or allude to it in every other post since....

😉

😂