• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Coronavirus COVID-19

chara   
2 hours ago, blue moon said:

Having supported Cambridge United since the 70s as my second club (they reached the 2nd Divn play-offs in 1992, after finishing 5th but failed in their bid to become founder members of the Prem), I feel for them. There is a matchday experience quite unlike that at SB - the hot chocolate has to be drunk to be believed (but is better used for warming your hands in the bitter cold of a Fenland winter) and the pies (oh the odes I could write about the pies ... "with a taste like the seat on a cross-town bus") - and the standard of play is kick-and-run, and the reffing is coin-toss dreadful .... but the fans are another dimension: would ours stick by the club and travel to Carlisle or Newport along with two carloads of fellow supporters for a ground out 4:0 loss and a long drive home? Real, real fans.

Aha..quoting Mr Paxton..interesting!...but absolutely spot on...our fans?....some of us shall I say slightly older guys remember some of the less luxurious grounds during leaner times than of late...Chelsea at yep.. Cambridge...Wrexham...and many others!.....remembering a game at Northampton over the Christmas period...fans roped off from the pitch..and that was old 1st Division!......

• Like 1

asvaberg   
On 15.5.2020 at 5:24 PM, blue moon said:

Having supported Cambridge United since the 70s as my second club (they reached the 2nd Divn play-offs in 1992, after finishing 5th but failed in their bid to become founder members of the Prem), I feel for them. There is a matchday experience quite unlike that at SB - the hot chocolate has to be drunk to be believed (but is better used for warming your hands in the bitter cold of a Fenland winter) and the pies (oh the odes I could write about the pies ... "with a taste like the seat on a cross-town bus") - and the standard of play is kick-and-run, and the reffing is coin-toss dreadful .... but the fans are another dimension: would ours stick by the club and travel to Carlisle or Newport along with two carloads of fellow supporters for a ground out 4:0 loss and a long drive home? Real, real fans.

Remember this game? :) :) 

https://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/news-photo/chelseas-colin-lee-receives-treatment-from-physio-norman-news-photo/611458912

https://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/news-photo/chelseas-michael-fillery-news-photo/611459000

https://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/news-photo/cambridge-united-players-look-anxiously-towards-the-crowd-news-photo/611458850

https://www.gettyimages.no/detail/news-photo/chelseas-petar-borota-clears-the-ball-news-photo/611458864

Edited by asvaberg

JaneB   

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52699654

What is the point? (Apart from a desperation for Liverpool to claim the title) And when will next season start?  And the season after that?...……..

1 hour ago, JaneB said:

What is the point? (Apart from a desperation for Liverpool to claim the title) And when will next season start?  And the season after that?...……..

It is an absolute farcical position , players training in groups of five ? Games behind closed doors at neutral venues ? Just void the season and start again in September if safe to do so . 

• Like 1

chara   
6 hours ago, asvaberg said:

Fun

3 hours ago, JaneB said:

Funny thing..I do remember it...not the game as such but I was in Cambridge that day and passed the Chelsea team bus.... long story but that was the trigger for me responding to the BM post.

And...Jane....there is no point except MONEY....to repeat..give Liverpool the title...no one really remembers after a season or two except the "winners"...and runners up even less remembered.....but then again I sometimes read the DM posted comments....always leaves me bemused...after the sensible and "interesting" if occasionaly heated "debates" on here I truly wonder if there is a subset of humanity inhabiting a football world I never see?...and I used to stand in The Shed when it was The Shed!!

8 hours ago, asvaberg said:

Yup. Note the barbed wire along the top of the anti-surge fencing. I was down the other end, on the concrete steps with no protection from the wind - blowing all the way from the Urals. 

Mind you, the score in the other leg was a bit different ....... image.png.61408583d18f04201846f72b808981c2.png 

On 15/05/2020 at 7:17 PM, chara said:

Aha..quoting Mr Paxton..interesting!...but absolutely spot on...our fans?....some of us shall I say slightly older guys remember some of the less luxurious grounds during leaner times than of late...Chelsea at yep.. Cambridge...Wrexham...and many others!.....remembering a game at Northampton over the Christmas period...fans roped off from the pitch..and that was old 1st Division!......

The Us had a plunge bath the size of a garden pond, but with hot water - unlike the visitors, who had a couple of cold water showers as I recall. 

• Like 1

JaneB   
17 hours ago, blue moon said:

Yup. Note the barbed wire along the top of the anti-surge fencing. I was down the other end, on the concrete steps with no protection from the wind - blowing all the way from the Urals. 

Mind you, the score in the other leg was a bit different ....... image.png.61408583d18f04201846f72b808981c2.png 

The Us had a plunge bath the size of a garden pond, but with hot water - unlike the visitors, who had a couple of cold water showers as I recall. 

Blimey that was a hoary old chestnut .

And look who gets the first goal ! 

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Blimey that was a hoary old chestnut .

And look who gets the first goal ! 

Never mind the standard goal by the big CF, look who got the other two.  Seems to have had a great game.  I definitely missed that one.  Alan Mayes.

Some of my (very many) favourite players there.  Droy,  Borota,  Bumstead, Walker

30 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Never mind the standard goal by the big CF, look who got the other two.  Seems to have had a great game.  I definitely missed that one.  Alan Mayes.

Some of my (very many) favourite players there.  Droy,  Borota,  Bumstead, Walker

I did love Borota , a great keeper , mad but great .