• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Coronavirus COVID-19

What I'd like to know is why everybody that came into contact with the players and coaches and anybody else that tested positive yesterday are not having fi self isolate?

I get that they would have tested negative yesterday but does anyone know for certain that they haven't caught it from the infected people but it wont show up on the test straight away.

For example a squad of 25 players trained yesterday. One tested positive. Do we know for 100% certainly that the other 24 haven't caught it off that player but its too early to show up? How long did it take for the tests results to come through? Is it possible that whilst waiting for the results the infected person could have infected others? What happens if the next round of testing shows more positive tests from the same club?

12 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

For example a squad of 25 players trained yesterday. One tested positive. Do we know for 100% certainly that the other 24 haven't caught it off that player but its too early to show up? 

The players trained in groups of 5, I'm pretty sure. And from training I believe that they went their separate ways home. Can't see that there's a likelihood of widespread infection among the total playing group, tbh. 

18 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

The players trained in groups of 5, I'm pretty sure. And from training I believe that they went their separate ways home. Can't see that there's a likelihood of widespread infection among the total playing group, tbh. 

Maybe not, but it only takes one other player to have caught it, even though the first set of results came back negative for it to then spread, not just through the football club but at their homes and local community's.

My point is, do we know for certain that just because they tested negative yesterday that they have not caught it from the people that were positive? 

3 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

What I'd like to know is why everybody that came into contact with the players and coaches and anybody else that tested positive yesterday are not having fi self isolate?

I get that they would have tested negative yesterday but does anyone know for certain that they haven't caught it from the infected people but it wont show up on the test straight away.

For example a squad of 25 players trained yesterday. One tested positive. Do we know for 100% certainly that the other 24 haven't caught it off that player but its too early to show up? How long did it take for the tests results to come through? Is it possible that whilst waiting for the results the infected person could have infected others? What happens if the next round of testing shows more positive tests from the same club?

I think you are still living in the imaginary world where there are only a hundred or so virus spreaders in the country (all who jumped off planes from China or "abroad") and if we can use contact tracing to track them down we can open up again.
Contract tracing is a blatant tool to re-assure people that the government is doing the best it can, not an effective measure to prevent the virus.
Truth is there will be an unlockdown and there will be a second wave.  The only thing in doubt is the level of risk that involves.

IMO it is an acceptable risk compared to the additional economic chaos.  And it seems most governments have reached that conclusion, they are just waiting for the right timing.

3 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

Tbh understanding what the Government's official line is on this these days is beyond me (I expect by design) and I have no idea what directives football has internally settled on, but I had thought the last set of guidelines I was able to comprehend focussed on symptoms rather than diagnosis. So you self-isolate for a period of time if living with or knowingly exposed to someone currently displaying symptoms. I suppose it's possible (even likely given those tested presumably has to go to work to be tested) those who tested positive aren't ill; they aren't coughing, don't have temperature etc. What tests are even being used? Do they indicate current or historical infection?

Bison   

Few reports of Kante being worried about the virus and being given time off by the club as 'compassionate leave'.

As a Muslim who is currently fasting perhaps he is taking time off training? Ramadan is due to end on Saturday so perhaps he returns to training thereafter. That makes more sense to me than what they're currently reporting. I seriously doubt the club would tell journalist that one of our players is especially worried about the virus.

4 hours ago, Bison said:

Few reports of Kante being worried about the virus and being given time off by the club as 'compassionate leave'.

As a Muslim who is currently fasting perhaps he is taking time off training? Ramadan is due to end on Saturday so perhaps he returns to training thereafter. That makes more sense to me than what they're currently reporting. I seriously doubt the club would tell journalist that one of our players is especially worried about the virus.

Why not?

Kante has previously collapsed in training with no clear medical explanation, and has lost a brother and his father to heart attacks at young ages. He apparently lives with another brother.

There's loads of reasons to tell journalists about this. One would be that it may well just be the truth and not everything has to be spun. Others would be that we don't, as a club, really back Project Restart, or that we want players we're wooing to know how we treat people at the club. Seems more odd to me to invent a lie.

• Like 1

Bison   
42 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Why not?

Kante has previously collapsed in training with no clear medical explanation, and has lost a brother and his father to heart attacks at young ages. He apparently lives with another brother.

There's loads of reasons to tell journalists about this. One would be that it may well just be the truth and not everything has to be spun. Others would be that we don't, as a club, really back Project Restart, or that we want players we're wooing to know how we treat people at the club. Seems more odd to me to invent a lie.

Oh OK, that I was totally unaware of. Makes total sense. Thanks.

That is terrible - sincerely hope he doesn't come back until it's absolutely safe for him (and everybod) to do so.

JaneB   

Just a couple of days now until the rugby league (NRL) season restarts here. The AFL (Aussie Rules) will restart a couple of weeks after that. Both codes (particularly NRL) have a lot more physical contact that football, so it'll be interesting to see what happens.