• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Coronavirus COVID-19

JaneB   
1 hour ago, Michael Tucker said:

Just a couple of days now until the rugby league (NRL) season restarts here. The AFL (Aussie Rules) will restart a couple of weeks after that. Both codes (particularly NRL) have a lot more physical contact that football, so it'll be interesting to see what happens.

What's the situation in Australia now Michael with Coronavirus?

1 hour ago, JaneB said:

What's the situation in Australia now Michael with Coronavirus?

Pretty much everything has opened up, or is about to. The governments (both state and federal) acted swiftly and decisively, and movements into the country, and between states were slowed to a trickle, if not ended completely. I think that the total number if deaths was restricted to around 100, and most of those came off cruise ships, I believe. Now of course,  that doesn't mean that businesses didn't suffer, or that retail stores didn't close. They did - many permanently (I guess we'll see later how many the numbers actually are). There is significant unemployment of course, and I guess we'll see over the coming months how that is absorbed.

The government has provided much needed financial support to businesses, families and individuals to get them through. Of course, that financial support means that government debt has gone through the roof. Where that leads us to down the line, is anybody's guess. 

None of which says that there won't/can't be a second wave, of course.

Women's league ended immediately. Inevitable, I guess; like lower league teams most of them cannot financially sustain continuing a season with much reduced revenue. I doubt there was much appetite from their male counterparts to subsidise when they themselves are looking at huge losses.

Interesting to see how they resolve it. Chelsea Women were 2nd, a single point behind but with a game in hand and their form made them as close as you can be to dead-certs to win it. Publicly at least though, the team's management and players have been more prosaic about it being the case no one wins. 

Liverpool were rock-bottom and going down, too ...

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

Women's league ended immediately. Inevitable, I guess;

I misread this as being permanent when I saw it on the unread list of posts.
Can women's football survive if the sponsors back out next season?

JaneB   

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52833725

And there you go.

Got to make sure Liverpool win the title somehow.

41 minutes ago, JaneB said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52833725

And there you go.

Got to make sure Liverpool win the title somehow.

SKY reporting this as "Finally Liverpool to be crowned as Champions" absolutely amazing , I hope they lose the rest of their games , go into the last game needing City to lose and City get a winner 6 minutes into 5 minutes added on time .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mark Kelly said:

SKY reporting this as "Finally Liverpool to be crowned as Champions" absolutely amazing , I hope they lose the rest of their games , go into the last game needing City to lose and City get a winner 6 minutes into 5 minutes added on time .

That film script has already been made.

I read that to get games going again " some" games will be played at neutral venues and others won't 

London derby's for instance are to be played at neutral venues , I know there's no crowds but there must surely still be an advantage on being in your home ?

We could end up losing our place in the Champions League to United who have been allowed to play all their home games at home whilst we have to play our games away .

The whole thing is a farce .

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I read that to get games going again " some" games will be played at neutral venues and others won't 

London derby's for instance are to be played at neutral venues , I know there's no crowds but there must surely still be an advantage on being in your home ?

We could end up losing our place in the Champions League to United who have been allowed to play all their home games at home whilst we have to play our games away .

The whole thing is a farce .

Is that more to do with the risk of crowds gathering? that some stadiums take more police to block off than others? I do agree it's a farce though, the whole integrity of the competitions went as soon as the equivalent of a pre season was spent without playing. 

And so they force a finish to this season..How does next season work then? what if a second wave of Corona stops the season in say November? will they be so anxious to complete that season? if so when with a Euro to fit in? Makes you wonder if there is big money riding on Liverpool being champions, VAR certainly did its bit by nobbling City and giving Liverpool some favourable decisions...

Stim   

I read that that was 'being discussed' along with liverpool and everton playing at neutral venues. Don't think it's a definite yet though

For example there is stuff going around like:

So don't think a decision has been made yet.

Edited by Stim