• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Coronavirus COVID-19

1 hour ago, bert19 said:

Good point.  Remarkably little coverage when it comes to the recovered patients.  I guess that could be because Government is really trying to make the point of how quickly it spreads and how severe the effects can be?  

But the Government doesn't control the media....or does it?

It is almost like they are encouraging the panic and fear without balancing out a few important facts. You don't catch this and die, you mostly catch this and recover. I heard an interesting stat today. Malaysia has had about 550 cases and not a single death. Normal flu would claim more than that. I have elderly parents and I think I can keep them safe with help from other family members. I don't need to close down all pubs, clubs and theatres etc  and wreck the economy for years in the process to do it.  

1 hour ago, bert19 said:

Good point.  Remarkably little coverage when it comes to the recovered patients.  I guess that could be because Government is really trying to make the point of how quickly it spreads and how severe the effects can be?  

"Mr X would you care to tell us about your Corona Virus experience on live TV or would you prefer to remain anonymous"

I think there is plenty of info on the experience of patients available, but without live interviews it won't get much publicity.

10 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

.... I heard an interesting stat today. Malaysia has had about 550 cases and not a single death. Normal flu would claim more than that. ...

correction  550 cases have been tested as positive, and no deaths tested as positive.
It seems pretty clear that a lot of the winter's deaths probably were related to Covid-19.  And a lot of cases are not being tested.
My uncle died last year in July, pulmonary infection, not post mortem (he'd been on his very last legs for months).  Point being that elderly cases just don't get tested.

London has a 0.01% infection rate.  Top staff and players at PL London football clubs have a 1% infection rate.  The difference is the testing rate.

17 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

But the Government doesn't control the media....or does it?

The common theme is that it has arrived recently from elsewhere, close the barriers, it wasn't our fault, and a refusal to do research to find out how long it has been here.
That is not just true amongst Trump and Brexiteers, it is equally true in Euroland.  Schengen is effectively over for the Summer.
And government and media are of one on this.

Sciatika   
2 hours ago, bert19 said:

There are a number of threads on Twitter where people have posted their experiences of the disease. The experience is varied. Some report a light flu and others much more affected. I'd post links but I am taking a holiday from Twitter for a while. Some people on there are vile.

Edited by Sciatika

JaneB   
11 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

There are a number of threads on Twitter where people have posted their experiences of the disease. The experience is varied. Some report a light flu and others much more affected. I'd post links but I am taking a holiday from Twitter for a while. Some people on there are vile.

You're not wrong there.  I can't believe the venom sometimes, it's really upsetting.

chara   

Over the pond comment.....yesterday had to go down to town for a routine blood test...35 mile one way..very light traffic and in/out test....Mrs C bravely went into Costco for some necessities .... lunacy by all accounts...now..Mrs C is a good "strong" English Lady....she deals with all "tradesmen" and business types who are intimidated by her accent and no nonsense approach..yep I'm a woose....I digress.... MrsC took to task a women taking four big cases of milk under a sign clearly stating one per etc and by all accounts staff were returning a lot of stock to shelves due to over stocking etc.

Colorado is slightly larger than mainland UK..N Ireland added .tips the balance. As of yesterday there were 600 + confirmed cases and one attributed death..an 80 year old woman with underlaying health issues....all ski resorts have been shut and all restaurants/bars etc ordered to close in house service...essential travel only whatever that is..we have an apt with tax accountant tomorrow to complete tax returns..essential?...and any trip for us is a minimum 25 mile round trip...

Last Winter here in Colorado was very bad for cold type illness..even my Doctor caught it.....makes you wonder....

Keep safe everyone....

Last bit...Mrs C was booked to go to UK in May..School Reunion combined with new Granddaughters Christening....cake made during her last visit awaiting icing.....now cancelled..and the other inlaw side have had to cancel trip from New Zealand....not a poor us observation but just a small sample of what must be a huge disruption of the basic fabric of society.

• Sad 1

chara   

PS.....schools closed but kids dragged around Costco etc......last year I believe 20,000 died from the effects of flu in USA....no panic or outrage...

2 hours ago, chara said:

Colorado is slightly larger than mainland UK..N Ireland added .tips the balance. As of yesterday there were 600 + confirmed cases and one attributed death

Again - 600 have been tested positive, and one death has been attributed to Covid 19.
As you suggest yourself, no one has a clue how many people really have it now, or had it in the last 6 months, or indeed have already died from it.
But everyone wants to pretend that it arrived last week from abroad.

JaneB   
9 minutes ago, CostaTheBlue said:

Does anyone know when this going to clear up and we can get back to normal?

Jeez, you are unbelievable.  If that's all you can come up with then stay away.

This topic has now been moved to the main forum, in the hope that this will focus people's attention, i.e., this is the place (and only place) to discuss Coronavirus. Thank you.