• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Coronavirus COVID-19

chara   
3 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

This topic has now been moved to the main forum, in the hope that this will focus people's attention, I.e., this is the place (and only place) to discuss Coronavirus. Thank you.

Thank you MT...I was thinking of suggesting moving it here for the reasons you state....but thought that might be a bit pushy from me...really good decision...thanks again.

On 17/03/2020 at 0:56 AM, Droy was my hero said:

The one certainty is that is has been around more than 3 months, probably much much longer, and so could have started anywhere in the world.

I have a strong suspicion I had it in late January/early February. I had the worst 'cold' I'd ever had; couldn't move for three days between shortness of breath and an almost fiery ache in my bones. At least three people who sat in the same room as me around that time also had very heavy cold in the next few days. I'm 34 and in (if I humble brag!) good health; I've no chronic conditions, have averaged 2 days absent from work due to illness each year across my adulthood and regularly clock up 400 minutes of intense cardio exercise a week. That 'cold' knocked me out like nothing I have ever had before. 

Even my experience aside, it seems to me unlikely we noticed this virus as it emerged. We're playing catch up and putting together a story that makes sense.

I work in a west London local authority providing services to families who are very vulnerable at the best of times. It is going to be a very, very challenging few months for me (and more importantly, those families). Good thing I've nothing to distract me from work!

• Like 2

Jasonb   

I live reasonably close to a busy road that is a thoroughfare for ambulances and although 60m away you can clearly hear them. There were a lot at the weekend and then nothing since Monday morning.

Beginning to think scare stories have circulated about forced confinement in hospitals so people have largely decided to stay at home and wait it out with self OTC medication. 

41 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

Beginning to think scare stories have circulated about forced confinement in hospitals so people have largely decided to stay at home and wait it out with self OTC medication. 

Very likely now.  But pretty soon we will find that the triage will accept only cases where hospitalization makes a real difference to outcomes, and self-isolation becomes the rule.

2 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Even my experience aside, it seems to me unlikely we noticed this virus as it emerged. We're playing catch up and putting together a story that makes sense.

No one seems to be doing back testing on flu victims - or if they are no one is releasing the evidence.  Plus of course there is an army of anti-China propagandists out there trying to take advantage.

Ham   

Very nice gesture by Roman to house NHS staff free of charge for an initial 2 months at the Millennium Hotel at the Bridge. He is paying personally. 

Hopefully his dirty stinking russian money will be accepted. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ham said:

Very nice gesture by Roman to house NHS staff free of charge for an initial 2 months at the Millennium Hotel at the Bridge. He is paying personally. 

Hopefully his dirty stinking russian money will be accepted. 

Will probably go uncommented on. 

Am working from home, temperature of 102 degrees last night. Weak and aching legs, joints, sweats etc. Feels a little like ‘TVFs’ description without the cold. 

You don’t know, so best to stay clear of everyone, unless the runny nose develops - I’m told that it doesn’t include that as a symptom. Anyone know differently?

2 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

I have a strong suspicion I had it in late January/early February. I had the worst 'cold' I'd ever had; couldn't move for three days between shortness of breath and an almost fiery ache in my bones. At least three people who sat in the same room as me around that time also had very heavy cold in the next few days. I'm 34 and in (if I humble brag!) good health; I've no chronic conditions, have averaged 2 days absent from work due to illness each year across my adulthood and regularly clock up 400 minutes of intense cardio exercise a week. That 'cold' knocked me out like nothing I have ever had before. 

I work in a west London local authority providing services to families who are very vulnerable at the best of times. It is going to be a very, very challenging few months for me (and more importantly, those families). Good thing I've nothing to distract me from work!

Coincidentally, I had the same thing 10-22 January, then three weeks of depression and far more than my usual lassitude. Had wondered whether it was something other than 'flu. Might be in my mid-sixties, but do regular gym (couple hours a week) and golf when it's not peeing down, so in good shape and rarely ill. Fortunately, I work from home + frequent flights to much of Europe - except that has stopped, so getting sore ears from headphones for eternal video conferences. Getting a bit sick of watching the world through MS Windows, though. 

Ham   
52 minutes ago, East Lower said:

Will probably go uncommented on. 

Am working from home, temperature of 102 degrees last night. Weak and aching legs, joints, sweats etc. Feels a little like ‘TVFs’ description without the cold. 

You don’t know, so best to stay clear of everyone, unless the runny nose develops - I’m told that it doesn’t include that as a symptom. Anyone know differently?

1) Reported on Sky Sports News.

2) https://www.healthline.com/health-news/flu-allergies-coronavirus-different-symptoms

Stay well

JaneB   
2 minutes ago, Ham said:

Thank you so much Ham for putting that up.  I was trying to find something similar to post and you've beaten me to it.

Take care everyone.

Strange and difficult times we are living in. I spent much of last week at the Cheltenham festival and there was a strange atmosphere throughout the week. Clearly, everyone there was delighted that the festival went ahead, but at the same time, it felt like their was a degree of burying head in the sand and deep down, I sense many felt the festival should not have gone ahead.

Back at work now and restricted to meetings via conference call and phone calls. Trying to carry on as normal, but at the same time, concerned that many people have more important priorities on their mind, ahead of me trying to contact them to discuss business in any level of detail.

Stay safe all and lets hope we can come through the other side of this as soon as possible.