• Current Donation Goals

King Kante

Favourite Chelsea Matches

As we are all in lockdown with no football, I thought I would start a thread were we can all post some of our favourite games down the years to rewatch. 

Here is one of my favourites from the KK vault: 

The only rules to this thread are that you are only able to list one game per day. 

Edited by King Kante
  • Like 1

Ham   

1 hour ago, King Kante said:

As we are all in lockdown with no football, I thought I would start a thread were we can all post some of our favourite games down the years to rewatch. 

Here is one of my favourites from the KK vault: 

Excellent idea.  
Great result - we didn't dominate many teams that CL season, but plenty of grit.  1 goal and 1 penalty award from corners - we used to be able to do that regularly.

I loved Ramires.   And Ivanovic playing like a right footed Alonso as he did for most of his career.

Ham - that game was just so Chelsea for that time.  Loved Speedie, the Scottish Dennis the Menace.

My contribution is 1 cup final in full (but I only have the replay).  I was quite surprised to find this a while ago, I always presumed there was no recording.

It may not be the most exciting game we have ever played, but how many times does a team beat Real Madrid in the final of a major European trophy?
They say Revie changed the Leeds strip to all white to make them look like Real Madrid.  I suspect RM regretted that in 1971.

image.png.a7d231c960c5d4cb61158f632cf387a0.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4-2 victory over Barcelona in 2005. That opening 20 minutes with us going 3-0 up and absolutely decimating them was like a dream come true. Especially after all the fallout from the 1st leg.

Then the tension after they got 2 goals back (one being a famous toe poke goal by Ronaldinho that still gets talked about to this day out of context of the match itself) and were going through on Away Goals. 

And Terry, of course John Terry, seeing us home with the trademark headed winner. 

And Mourinho pitch invasion to rub it in to Barcelona faces. 

Definitely best game I've ever attended and favourite match overall.

While the individual results and twists and turns in the 2012 CL Winning run were good, I think it was more a case of the end result being the headline, the games themselves were painful affairs. This game against Barcelona was incredible fast flowing football and is a example to show people to quash any "boring boring Chelsea" or "Park the Bus" slanders and falsehoods that are oft-repeated of that Chelsea team. 

Just read the thread rules and got rid of my other runners up mentions. Will post those in the days ahead. 

Edited by CarefreeMuratcan

Sciatika   

I have a soft spot for the 2006 Chelsea-West Ham game that ended up 4-1. We started badly conceding a near-post header by James Collins and Maniche was (rightly) sent off for going over the top on Scaloni. Goals from Drogba and Crespo in the first half and Terry and Gallas in the second. The following week (I think) was the game we beat Man United at home 3-0 with goals from Gallas, Cole and Carvalho to clinch the title.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sciatika said:

I have a soft spot for the 2006 Chelsea-West Ham game that ended up 4-1. We started badly conceding a near-post header by James Collins and Maniche was (rightly) sent off for going over the top on Scaloni. Goals from Drogba and Crespo in the first half and Terry and Gallas in the second. The following week (I think) was the game we beat Man United at home 3-0 with goals from Gallas, Cole and Carvalho to clinch the title.

That was the game that confirmed just how good we were.  What were WHU trying to do going a goal and a man up so early?  Asking for a hiding.
Didn't recall that Maniche also hit the bar from 2 yards. 2 more goals from defenders - as was normal back then.  Gallas hitting the shot that set up JT as well as finishing the 4th.

Ham   
46 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

That was the game that confirmed just how good we were.  What were WHU trying to do going a goal and a man up so early?  Asking for a hiding.
Didn't recall that Maniche also hit the bar from 2 yards. 2 more goals from defenders - as was normal back then.  Gallas hitting the shot that set up JT as well as finishing the 4th.

And virtually 45 minutes of "We've only got ten men" from the MHL.  

• Like 1

chara   

That was one of those "Now I know we will be Champions" games for me.

BUT..being (very) old school it has to be the OT replay with Ossie bowing in to equalise from Cookie's cross and fairy tale David Webb getting the winner and the toughest (dirtiest) game I have ever seen....Leeds trying to kick everything in Blue expecting a cave in but Chelsea giving as good if not better back...with characters like Ossie Webb and well..ALL the Chelsea boys..Bonetti on one leg after being crocked and as good an atmosphere as I have ever experienced with Chelsea....after Ossie equalised WE ALL knew in the ground that we would win..never been so sure before or since...for the very few who haven't seen the game....go there asap..and the Wembley Final wasn't bad either!!!

chara   

PS...GIANTS WALKED THE PITCH THAT DAY..a foretaste of years in the future!!

Here is my effort for today. I was around 11 when this game happened and it is always special to me as it was the first time I felt we could win something and how much I enjoyed us beating the Dippers.

Edited by King Kante
  • Like 1