• Current Donation Goals

King Kante

Favourite Chelsea Matches

Actually came round to respecting him at the end - I don't think I could have taken the level of abuse he was getting and still achieved what he did. Loathsome character, though. 

3 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Just the worst person, not a bad manager.  

He was terrible. I started watching football in 2000 and Benitez is the worst manager I've ever known at the club. Should never have been allowed. 

Couldn't stand him. Was speechless when we appointed him and the fact he made zero effort to get the fans behind him told me everything about his motivation for taking the job. It was never about what he could do for us, but all about using the club to further his career.

Ham   
16 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

Couldn't stand him. Was speechless when we appointed him and the fact he made zero effort to get the fans behind him told me everything about his motivation for taking the job. It was never about what he could do for us, but all about using the club to further his career.

We football fans are funny.

Gave him dog's abuse from day one and he made no effort to get us onside.  

😆

bert19   
37 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

I always thought if he'd actually been as good as he seemed to think he was, then he'd have achieved enough by Feb/Mar to have got himself the job permanently.  The team were an absolute shambles in the Club World Cup final and the two League Cup semi-final games against Swansea.  Given the opposition in both tournaments, he really had no excuse for a) not winning both and b) the team playing SO badly in those games.  

If by the end of Feb he had two trophies in the bag and we were on track for top 4 and the EL final, he'd really have put himself in a great position to either have the job permanently or get a really big job after he left.  

I also never got why he didn't try to smooth the waters with the fans when he arrived.  All he had to say was something like "we were in a fierce rivalry and I maybe said some things that I shouldn't have" or "It was a rivalry and I said some stuff to try to take pressure off my players" and most could have at least seen his reasoning, even if they didn't like him.  But he just seemed to expect us all to be pleased he was here or something like that.  Odd. 

Wonder if he'll go back to Newcastle if this rumoured takeover goes ahead?  

8 minutes ago, bert19 said:

I also never got why he didn't try to smooth the waters with the fans when he arrived. 

With hindsight or even some foresight, I reckon JM was always on his way to us that summer.
Indeed there was a lot of talk about him coming to Chelsea or Man U that Spring, and 3 years at RM is a pretty full term.

Plus if JM to us was lined up so early that explains both why RDM was allowed to continue for so long despite being well short of what we usually have as manager, and why whatsisname (struggling to remember a polite version) was always called the Interim manager by the club (which he complained about, probably fairly, in February).  He was off to Napoli 8 days after out last game.

43 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

With hindsight or even some foresight, I reckon JM was always on his way to us that summer.
Indeed there was a lot of talk about him coming to Chelsea or Man U that Spring, and 3 years at RM is a pretty full term.

Plus if JM to us was lined up so early that explains both why RDM was allowed to continue for so long despite being well short of what we usually have as manager, and why whatsisname (struggling to remember a polite version) was always called the Interim manager by the club (which he complained about, probably fairly, in February).  He was off to Napoli 8 days after our last game.

I have often wondered whether Roman recruited an unpopular manager, as he always intended to bring back Jose when the timing was right. This would make it easy to sack the fall guy, while endearing himself to the faithful.

It reminded me of Machiavelli’s lieutenant, who proved himself efficient but cruel. To endear himself to his people, while distancing himself from such an unpopular strongman, Machiavalli had him beheaded and left in the public square, carved like an ox.

Not saying that Abramovich is Machiavellian, but ... well, he didn't get where he is by being a nice guy all the time.

2 minutes ago, blue moon said:

I have often wondered whether Roman recruited an unpopular manager, as he always intended to bring back Jose when the timing was right. This would make it easy to sack the fall guy, while endearing himself to the faithful.

Well he was called the Interim manager by the club, so there was clearly a plan to look elsewhere.
And Benitez had been unemployed since the start of the season, and then moved straight on to Napoli where Mazzari resigned and a week later arrived at Inter.  So presumably Benitez was happy to accept a temporary job.
I wouldn't have said that Benitez was ever sacked, he was just the temp, like Grant and Hiddink.

Leo91   
6 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Just the worst person, not a bad manager.  

Lost to QPR at home and lost to Corinthians. It was pretty bad.

17 minutes ago, Leo91 said:

Lost to QPR at home and lost to Corinthians. It was pretty bad.

I'd forgotten that. Obviously blanked it out of my memory.