• Current Donation Goals

King Kante

Favourite Chelsea Matches

Leo91   
On 4/18/2020 at 8:59 PM, King Kante said:

Has anyone got a link for the Chelsea v Leeds home game in 2003 (the one with Eider's overhead kick). I ask as it is one of my favourite games but I cannot seem to find it anywhere. 

OMG Wow That is a goal I totally forgot existed. What a goal it was.

So I pose another hypothetical question sparked by my rewatching of Season Reviews.

If the 1999-2000 team had won the CL would it have been a huge upset or would it have been seen as reasonable considering our quality at the time? Lazio were apparently favourites that season and we handled them ok in the groups. 

What do you think? 

Sciatika   

I think it would have been as surprising as us winning it in 2012 (I.e. seen as unlikely but not impossible). We would have had to beat Barce, Valencia and Madrid - all very good teams at the time.

3 hours ago, Sciatika said:

I think it would have been as surprising as us winning it in 2012 (I.e. seen as unlikely but not impossible). We would have had to beat Barce, Valencia and Madrid - all very good teams at the time.

My thoughts too - wining the CL can be done with a lot of luck by moderate teams.  2003 was a surprise.  2005 was an outright joke.  

11 hours ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

So I pose another hypothetical question sparked by my rewatching of Season Reviews.

If the 1999-2000 team had won the CL would it have been a huge upset or would it have been seen as reasonable considering our quality at the time? Lazio were apparently favourites that season and we handled them ok in the groups. 

What do you think? 

Huge upset; we'd not won a league title for 50-odd years and were newcomers to that level of football. Anyone putting money on us at the start of the season would have been laughed out of the bookies. We were never even close to winning it. Memory obviously fades but I'm surprised Lazio were considered favourites by many, I recall that as an era of Spanish dominance and always think of Lazio as being a bit flash-in-the-pan, excellent for a year or two but that's it.

4 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

My thoughts too - wining the CL can be done with a lot of luck by moderate teams.  2003 was a surprise.  2005 was an outright joke.  

And don't forget the joke that was 2019. How can a team get so lucky that they get to play Tottenham Hotspur in a CL Final? What next? Cyrstal Palace in the CL Final? Middlesbrough?

Edited by CostaTheBlue

8 hours ago, Sciatika said:

I think we'd have won it if we'd beaten BArcelona. RM were poor that season, they'd finished 5th in La Liga, 3 positions behind Barcelona and were very lucky to end up as CL winner. Valencia were major CL chokers and only went far due to a lucky draw.

4 minutes ago, CostaTheBlue said:

And don't forget the joke that was 2019. How can a team get so lucky that they get to play Tottenham Hotspur in a CL Final? What next Cyrstal Palace in the CL Final? Middlesbrough?

Careful - Who doesn't recall Bobby Di smashing the back of the net in 1997.

You should be thinking of 1988 and Wimbledon!

5 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Careful - Who doesn't recall Bobby Di smashing the back of the net in 1997.

You should be thinking of 1988 and Wimbledon!

I was too young to follow football then as I was only 5 in 1997. But I remember 2000, that was the first cup final I watched.

Sciatika   

Mark Hughes should have been given an assist for Di Matteo's goal. His brilliant run takes the defender away leaving a huge gap.