• Current Donation Goals

King Kante

Favourite Chelsea Matches

chara   
4 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

If I had absolutely no awareness of football outside of the games I have physically been at, I'd consider Carroll one of the best English footballers of the last decade. Honestly, I've never seen him in the flesh without thinking he'd caused us problems and had been unlucky to have crap team mates around him. 

Luckily, I've watched football on TV just a few times ...

Interesting pov.....back in the day..and before!....the only way you could really judge a player was on his performance at a game. you actually attended...quoted before but remember an "older" grizzled fan commenting before a game.."That Banks always plays well here"...but of course he did at most grounds!

Now we can pass comment on players all over the world....and still disagree!

Yeah just watched the 2012 FA final.  Nice game and chock-a-block with my favourites.  The hard core of Cech, JT, Ashley C, Lampard and Drogba.  And a few of my personal biggest favourites - Ramires, Mikel and Ivanovic.  Happy times even if that was our lucky season, not our best.  Payback for previous ones.

More games up on Chelsea TV

Bayern Chelsea CL final 2012
https://www.chelseafc.com/en/videos/v/2020/02/22/full-match--chelsea-v-bayern-munich---champions-league-final-201-Rxd283ajE6Rrpkgz_agtLhsBYYRYQGob

8 years on a day or so ago.  over 3 hours long including final celebrations.

Also the 2010 Double winning FAC final against Portsmouth
https://www.chelseafc.com/en/videos/v/2020/03/22/fa-cup---chelsea-v-portsmouth-2010-dkbTJjajE62fZdxT7DZV2kwnMiQWeEEy

The totally bizarre Ajax comeback
https://www.chelseafc.com/en/videos/v/2020/05/12/full-match-v-ajax-EhgYiOdR
Since when did ref decisions ever go our way?  Even correct ones?

And a 30 look at the 2018 FA final against Man U.

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/videos/v/2020/05/12/full-match-v-ajax-EhgYiOdR

I'll let you know the results after I watch them  :)

On 17/05/2020 at 10:34 PM, Droy was my hero said:

Yeah just watched the 2012 FA final.  Nice game and chock-a-block with my favourites.  The hard core of Cech, JT, Ashley C, Lampard and Drogba.  And a few of my personal biggest favourites - Ramires, Mikel and Ivanovic.  Happy times even if that was our lucky season, not our best.  Payback for previous ones.

Watched the 30-min BT Sport version last night. The highlights did not do justice to our defensive efforts, and Mikel and Bosingwa, who were instrumental in the win, barely featured at all, and Bertrand was barely ever in shot. 

For me the defensive highlight was Cahill throwing himself at a cross that was on a plate for Gomez to convert. He barely got there but did just enough to prevent what would have been the winning goal for Bayern. 

And Cech was utterly fantastic.

The BBC website columnist Phil McNulty reckons Drogba's Munich performance was one of the best individual displays he's ever witnessed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52689386

On 5/20/2020 at 4:08 PM, Backbiter said:

Watched the 30-min BT Sport version last night. The highlights did not do justice to our defensive efforts, and Mikel and Bosingwa, who were instrumental in the win, barely featured at all, and Bertrand was barely ever in shot. 

I'm catching up with you after the 2012 FA final I watched before.  Suspensions and injuries so a very different team.  

But I watched the full 3h17 mins from Chelsea Tv available here. not some 30 min version  :)  And sang one Step Beyond at the end.
For anyone who was there (or just at home or in the pub) there is about 50 mins after the penalties showing all the team celebrations.

Mikel, Bosingwa, Lampard and the two CBs, Luiz and Cahill, were terriffic.  But Cech and Ashley Cole were the standout performers.  To be fair to BT, Bertrand did not do a great deal in his 65 mins.  Mata was quiet and Kalou was precisely as I remember him, Torres looked great when he came on to replace him, and promptly won us our only corner (taken very well by Mata and.....!!)

Have to admit I watched the celebrations more closely than the match.  All the suspended players there from JT to Ivanovic, all in their kit.  You hardly see JT.  When Lampard is called as match day captain to lift the trophy he gets JT alongside him to lift it together, but within seconds Bosingwa has grabbed it off JT.  JT lies low until 50 mins after the match has finished and someone finally hands him the trophy on his own in front of the Blue crowd.  Instead of 10 respectful paps following players and cup around suddenly there are 40 of them crowding right around JT.  20 secs later he passes it on to Cech and 30 paps disappear having got the shot they came for.

On 5/20/2020 at 4:08 PM, Backbiter said:

The BBC website columnist Phil McNulty reckons Drogba's Munich performance was one of the best individual displays he's ever witnessed.

idiot (McNulty).  It was a brilliant goal, he scored his penalty but he had previously given an extra-time penalty away which Cech saved.  He was very good in defence for their 20 corners but his attacking contribution was almost entirely the goal from our single corner.  
A classic moment in football, and a classic sign off by Drogba on a superb Chelsea career  (never expected to return).
Not a great game though by Drogba's standards.   IMO not one of Drogba's best 10 performances for Chelsea, and McNulty counts it as one of the top 10 by any player at any club in 20 odd years.

Sciatika   

McNulty is always more interested in the "iconic moments" that appeal to his emotional side rather than being weighed down by what actually happened.

Jasonb   
On 20/05/2020 at 1:16 PM, Droy was my hero said:

Watched this one, and had forgotten how it worked out except we won. Very tricky match we hit the woodwork four times, then Ballack gets badly fouled and Belletti comes on and concedes a penalty. Cech saves it.

We continue to push forward and threaten against a physically strong Avram Grant Portsmouth. 

No-one seemed to be able to hit the target and that strangely includes Lampard. 

Drogba scores via a great free-kick yet despite bringing on Cole and Sturridge we cannot get a second and also Lampard is fouled in the box yet his late penalty goes wide.

A hard fought win. 

Brown from Portsmouth was lucky not to get his marching orders seemed to be doing his best to get our players to react.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2020 at 8:19 AM, Sciatika said:

McNulty is always more interested in the "iconic moments" that appeal to his emotional side rather than being weighed down by what actually happened.

It's the scouse coming out in him.

On 5/24/2020 at 7:53 PM, Jasonb said:

Watched this one, and had forgotten how it worked out except we won. Very tricky match we hit the woodwork four times, then Ballack gets badly fouled and Belletti comes on and concedes a penalty. Cech saves it.

We continue to push forward and threaten against a physically strong Avram Grant Portsmouth. 

No-one seemed to be able to hit the target and that strangely includes Lampard. 

Drogba scores via a great free-kick yet despite bringing on Cole and Sturridge we cannot get a second and also Lampard is fouled in the box yet his late penalty goes wide.

A hard fought win. 

Brown from Portsmouth was lucky not to get his marching orders seemed to be doing his best to get our players to react.

Yes had forgotten what an annoying wotsit Brown was. The foul on Ballack was a pretty bad one actually could easily have been a red.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fillerywhereru said:

Yes had forgotten what an annoying wotsit Brown was. The foul on Ballack was a pretty bad one actually could easily have been a red.

Brown was one of the dirtiest players in Premier league history.