• Current Donation Goals

King Kante

Favourite Chelsea Matches

7 hours ago, Box of Tricks said:

Glad the 1-3 at Anfield in 2009 was mentioned, it felt like the night we burst the Another Special European Night at AnfieldTM bubble. They couldn't hold a candle to us after that tie for a good few seasons.

7 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Last time I saw a pair of legs that exciting, the owner said hello to me and I still didn't recognise them.

Strangely I didn't recognise these 2 legs either - what was I doing.  Yet it includes an horrendous error by each keeper, certainly more embarrassing for Cech than anything I recall.  12 goals in 180 mins.  A staggering goal from Alex.  Ivanovic's first and 2nd goals for the club both from corners.  A beautiful cross from Malouda and a wonderful game closer by Lampard.  

The game that established or lead to establishing Ivanovic as a starter wasn't it? He was a bit part player up until this game. 

On 4/8/2020 at 7:12 PM, King Kante said:

Going for the 3-0 home win against Utd today. I think this game is probably peak Chelsea as I do not think we have ever reached such domination since. 

Instead of watching the full 90 at 360 quality, I've just started watching a 25 min version at HD quality on Chelsea TV.
https://www.chelseafc.com/en/videos/v/2019/12/01/classic-matches--chelsea-v-manchester-united---2006-N4ajZ3aTE6Fl1qC0-319Hm6qK32XXZcV

About 7 highlighted RA era games there of various lengths including 

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/videos/v/2019/12/01/arsenal-v-chelsea---uefa-champions-league--2004-v3-hmYml3aTE6pubJKnQ7Q2mULbr_4CrY8E    (5m)
and

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/videos/v/2019/12/01/classic-matches--barcelona-v-chelsea---ucl-2012-53OWV2aTE6QW72udQyMaJEC72UgFW9um  (26m)

and some full retro:
for example 
https://www.chelseafc.com/en/videos/v/2019/11/19/fa-cup-classics--chelsea-v-watford---fa-cup-semi-final--1970-JlZXZ0aTE6YmW9EJgtqDKSm7T_RtQDe5  (26m in deep mud)

and the recent wins against Liverpool and Arsenal too,

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Thanks for the links Droy. Much better quality. 

I didn't want to make a whole new thread for this discussion point, but since this thread is nostalgia based. 

I'm about to watch through all our Season Reviews and the thought occurred to me. Is the 1996-2003 era and 2003-present really 2 different eras? Or do you think it can be considered as a single consolidated 1996-present era? (Or perhaps a 1 or 2 years earlier starting point). 

Since it was the buying of foreign talent in 1996 that kick started off what would end up being the same kind of thing under Roman, just with bigger spending power. And there was only a 5 year gap between our last trophy in pre-Roman era and first in Roman era, so it was kind success within recent memory of each other. 

What do you think? 

Edited by CarefreeMuratcan

My version of history:

1995-2000  (Last year of Hoddle + Gullitt + Vialli)
2000-2004  Ranieri, and more of a long term approach, younger imports like Gallas, Lampard, Guddy.
2004-2012  That team and its final belated CL win.  JM, his imitators, and the placeholders managed by the core players
2012-2017  Insanely good scouting and wonderful rebuild leading to 2 PL titles
2018 onwards   Recognition of need to rebuild, and commencement

note:  95/6 Gullitt, Petrescu and Hughes (ageing star if not foreign) all joined.
2003/4 was more an end to the Ranieri era rather than the start of the new era.  Only Zola and Le Saux left in 2003 (and Morris and Ferrer who had pretty much stopped gettng picked already) The following 18 months saw a massive number of playing leaving.

Edited by Droy was my hero

2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

My version of history:

1995-2000  (Last year of Hoddle + Gullitt + Vialli)
2000-2004  Ranieri, and more of a long term approach, younger imports like Gallas, Lampard, Guddy.
2004-2012  That team and its final belated CL win.  JM, his imitators, and the placeholders managed by the core players
2012-2017  Insanely good scouting and wonderful rebuild leading to 2 PL titles
2018 onwards   Recognition of need to rebuild, and commencement

note:  95/6 Gullitt, Petrescu and Hughes (ageing star if not foreign) all joined.
2003/4 was more an end to the Ranieri era rather than the start of the new era.  Only Zola and Le Saux left in 2003 (and Morris and Ferrer who had pretty much stopped gettng picked already) The following 18 months saw a massive number of playing leaving.

Very much how I see it.

Going for the away game against Bolton in 2005 today. Although it was obvious we were going to win the title even if we lost this one, it was still an amazing moment to have it confirmed after 50 years. 

Edited by King Kante

21 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Going for the away game against Bolton in 2005 today. Although it was obvious we were going to win the title even if we lost this one, it was still an amazing moment to have it confirmed after 50 years. 

Breaks my heart that I was in Amsterdam on a football tour with my Sunday League team when this game happened.

I still distinctly remember when I learned the news we had confirmed the title though. We were sitting down at an al fresco cafe/restaurant, it was a tepid Spring day, sun shining, blue sky and I got goosebumps just from hearing the news we were Champions.

I used to think winning the title was for United and Arsenal, it was only something I'd do on FIFA, not in real life. I'll never forget that feeling and that's why I'll never ever take for granted every single trophy we win, even to this day.  

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/videos/v/2020/03/22/full-match--leeds-v-chelsea---fa-cup-final-1970-tncTZkajE67xt8MJt2NbEjNitXmu3rbw

Full 120 of Wembley game in good quality and well worth watching before they put up the replay too.

I know I put this up in the Bonetti thread as I am sure Chelsea TV put it up in his memory, but I thought I would leave that for reminiscing about the Cat, and talk about the game here.

Not nearly as dirty as everyone says.  In fact I'd say the two Tottenham horrors were far worse (matches known by their refs, Poll and Clattenberg).  The pitch was horrible (Horse of the year show a week earlier if I recall) and the players a lot slower than they are now.  So a lot of tackles were not so much late on a fast moving player but just sliding tackles on a static player who wasn't in control of the ball.

Still lots of tension, even after you know the last goal has gone in.  Bonetti is terrific.  Osgood for once isn't.  Webb makes  a fantastic block but otherwise is appalling - the Eddie Gray made mincemeat of Webb myth turns out to be actually very very true.

• Thanks 1

chara   
11 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/videos/v/2020/03/22/full-match--leeds-v-chelsea---fa-cup-final-1970-tncTZkajE67xt8MJt2NbEjNitXmu3rbw

Full 120 of Wembley game in good quality and well worth watching before they put up the replay too.

I know I put this up in the Bonetti thread as I am sure Chelsea TV put it up in his memory, but I thought I would leave that for reminiscing about the Cat, and talk about the game here.

Not nearly as dirty as everyone says.  In fact I'd say the two Tottenham horrors were far worse (matches known by their refs, Poll and Clattenberg).  The pitch was horrible (Horse of the year show a week earlier if I recall) and the players a lot slower than they are now.  So a lot of tackles were not so much late on a fast moving player but just sliding tackles on a static player who wasn't in control of the ball.

Still lots of tension, even after you know the last goal has gone in.  Bonetti is terrific.  Osgood for once isn't.  Webb makes  a fantastic block but otherwise is appalling - the Eddie Gray made mincemeat of Webb myth turns out to be actually very very true.

Pretty much on the ball Droy but comparing the two Tottenham horrors misses one thing..in those games it was open assault on the Chelsea players with very little retaliation...probably waiting for the ref to wake up!..(yeah right!)..at Wembley and especially at OT the Chelsea boys gave as good or better than they got..both sides retaliating first!...