• Current Donation Goals

King Kante

Favourite Chelsea Matches

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, chara said:

Pretty much on the ball Droy but comparing the two Tottenham horrors misses one thing..in those games it was open assault on the Chelsea players with very little retaliation...probably waiting for the ref to wake up!..(yeah right!)..at Wembley and especially at OT the Chelsea boys gave as good or better than they got..both sides retaliating first!...

 

I'm looking forward to the OT game very much.  I'm sure I have pirated a copy at some point over the years, and bought the video tapes as Christmas presents, but I'll wait for CTV to do the honours.
I was pretty young, but my Dad and his friend had a chance of tickets for the replay.  They were very much home only fans, his friend lived on the Fulham Road.  They decided that the return journey would be far too miserable if (probably) we lost, and regretted that choice for years (still).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chara   
14 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

I'm looking forward to the OT game very much.  I'm sure I have pirated a copy at some point over the years, and bought the video tapes as Christmas presents, but I'll wait for CTV to do the honours.
I was pretty young, but my Dad and his friend had a chance of tickets for the replay.  They were very much home only fans, his friend lived on the Fulham Road.  They decided that the return journey would be far too miserable if (probably) we lost, and regretted that choice for years (still).

I should have mentioned that Leeds were a real hard (dirty) really good footballing side..unlike the Spuds who were neither...that Chelsea side would have had the Spuds lot crying home to their mums!!

And...your Dad/mate..mentioned probably too many times but have the same regrets about the 66 WCF..went to all the Wembley games ..block tickets but Final wasn't included...I wanted to go up to Wembley and try to get a ticket..lot available as it happened...I lived in Kingsbury so it was no big journey..often walked home from games at Wembley...but my mate thought we might not get a ticket and then miss most of the Final.....quote..."and regretted that choice for years (still)"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, chara said:

I should have mentioned that Leeds were a real hard (dirty) really good footballing side..unlike the Spuds who were neither...that Chelsea side would have had the Spuds lot crying home to their mums!!

I also thought that the players looked quite friendly with each other, none of the hatred I expected - especially Eddie Mac and Bremner (2 kindred Scottish spirits).  And I learnt that Eddie Mac was not left footed - which was quite a surprise.

It was a very tense game watching it last night, as a kind of tribute to Bonetti.  Glued to the box all game despite knowing when the goals were going to go in and that the result would be in the replay.  Not an entertaining game, but a very emotional one, even 50 years on.  I turned to the back pages of the paper this morning looking for the match report.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chara   
1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

I also thought that the players looked quite friendly with each other, none of the hatred I expected - especially Eddie Mac and Bremner (2 kindred Scottish spirits).  And I learnt that Eddie Mac was not left footed - which was quite a surprise.

It was a very tense game watching it last night, as a kind of tribute to Bonetti.  Glued to the box all game despite knowing when the goals were going to go in and that the result would be in the replay.  Not an entertaining game, but a very emotional one, even 50 years on.  I turned to the back pages of the paper this morning looking for the match report.

Ah Droy...got me going....and what about the appalling state of the Wembley pitch?....the CF back then was still a very big deal and was the "Showpiece" of the season but "Horse of the Year Show" destroyed the playing surface...now..on to Old Trafford......!!!!

Can you imagine the media today faced with the likes of Charton J, Chopper, Bremner, Ossie , Bite yer legs,Webby et al....all on the same pitch?

Think the media across the board would implode!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another question that arises from my rewatching of Season Reviews.

Do you reckon the late 90s era team deserved to win at least 1 PL?

The attacking quality was ridiculously good, such sexy football. Arsenal get so much praise in football pop culture for the way they played football in that time (and early 00s) but our guys were playing just as aesthetically pleasing stuff. Perhaps defence let us down from winning a league in that time? And Casiraghi injury in 1999. 

Also 1996-1997 had an incredible number of outside of the box goals. 1997-1998 had a decent amount too. Astonishing how routine it was for them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Another question that arises from my rewatching of Season Reviews.

Do you reckon the late 90s era team deserved to win at least 1 PL?

The attacking quality was ridiculously good, such sexy football. Arsenal get so much praise in football pop culture for the way they played football in that time (and early 00s) but our guys were playing just as aesthetically pleasing stuff. Perhaps defence let us down from winning a league in that time? And Casiraghi injury in 1999. 

Also 1996-1997 had an incredible number of outside of the box goals. 1997-1998 had a decent amount too. Astonishing how routine it was for them. 

1999 should've been won. I think when looking at the other seasons we were not good enough. However, for me the reason we did not win in 1999 was due to: 

1) Goals. Casiraghi being lost so early was a massive blow and there were games where we dropped points because we did not get the goals our play deserved.

2) Laudrup didn't work out and left early in the season. He would've been important in the run in. 

3) Our mentality. Chelsea's mentality prior to Jose arriving was one of a cup team/happy with top four. Best way I can describe it was a bit like Spuds but able to win cups. I think games like West Ham at home really showed how we couldn't deal with pressure very well. Another example of this was the Mallorca game in the Semi's of the CWC were we couldn't push ourselves on in the second leg. I know Jose isn't that popular anymore but for me he always has to be respected for instilling our winning mentality of the past 15 years as prior to him we didn't really have it. 

Edited by King Kante

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, King Kante said:

1999 should've been won. I think when looking at the other seasons we were not good enough. However, for me the reason we did not win in 1999 was due to: 

1) Goals. Casiraghi being lost so early was a massive blow and there were games where we dropped points because we did not get the goals our play deserved.

2) Laudrup didn't work out and left early in the season. He would've been important in the run in. 

3) Our mentality. Chelsea's mentality prior to Jose arriving was one of a cup team/happy with top four. Best way I can describe it was a bit like Spuds but able to win cups. I think games like West Ham at home really showed how we couldn't deal with pressure very well. Another example of this was the Mallorca game in the Semi's of the CWC were we couldn't push ourselves on in the second leg. I know Jose isn't that popular anymore but for me he always has to be respected for instilling our winning mentality of the past 15 years as prior to him we didn't really have it. 

Thanks for your in-depth reply.

And re: your point about Jose, I entirely agree. His work in his initial 2004-2007 spell made us the trophy winning we continued to be from 2007-present day. Jose is our greatest ever manager and he's the only manager departure we've had that I have felt sad about. 

While we're on the subject of 1999 team deserving to win the PL, Jose deserved to win at least 1 CL with us in his first spell (I think we already talked about that earlier in this thread). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Do you reckon the late 90s era team deserved to win at least 1 PL?

Hell no.  We had one season where we peaked at 75 points and 2 better clubs were 3 & 4 points ahead of us.
At no other time were we ever even close.

We were a highly entertaining but up and down team in those days.  Season reviews will show the entertaining and the up only.

3 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

While we're on the subject of 1999 team deserving to win the PL, Jose deserved to win at least 1 CL with us in his first spell (I think we already talked about that earlier in this thread). 

Generally leagues are won by the best teams and there are plenty of opportunities to make up for any mistake or piece of bad luck.
Cups are always random.  The best the strongest team in Europe can do is to have a 25% chance (which a top club can up to 40% if it puts little effort into its domestic league)

2012 averaged out a lot of luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Another question that arises from my rewatching of Season Reviews.

Do you reckon the late 90s era team deserved to win at least 1 PL?

The attacking quality was ridiculously good, such sexy football. Arsenal get so much praise in football pop culture for the way they played football in that time (and early 00s) but our guys were playing just as aesthetically pleasing stuff. Perhaps defence let us down from winning a league in that time? And Casiraghi injury in 1999. 

Also 1996-1997 had an incredible number of outside of the box goals. 1997-1998 had a decent amount too. Astonishing how routine it was for them. 

We were by far the best team in England in 1998-99 but United fluked their way to another title.

As for CL, yes, Chelsea should have at least 5 by now, the luck seemed to always go against us in the mid 2000's. Should have won in 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009 to add the one we did win in 2012.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now