• Current Donation Goals

King Kante

Favourite Chelsea Matches

12 hours ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Another question that arises from my rewatching of Season Reviews.

Do you reckon the late 90s era team deserved to win at least 1 PL?

Wouldn't say deserved, but the 98/99 season kind of conspired against us.

Alongside the Laudrup and Casiraghi situations (and the Poyet injury), the real hammer blow was playing Thursday/Sunday football in April - we simply couldn't cope, drew a shed load of games against teams we should have beaten and ended up throwing away our chance of League. And then we still went out of the Cup Winners Cup.

Chelsea 2 Leicester 2 is a definite contender for least favourite Chelsea match.

On 12/04/2020 at 11:38 PM, Droy was my hero said:

The pitch was horrible (Horse of the year show a week earlier if I recall)

Incredible, actually burst out laughing at this. Truly a different era.

19 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

I also thought that the players looked quite friendly with each other, none of the hatred I expected.

This month's official club magazine has photographs of the Chelsea and Leeds players doing a lap of honour together after the Wembley game. Not even my dad is old enough to have been watching the game or aware of the teams at the time, but the pictures were a real surprise to me given the way the game has been mythologised. 

14 hours ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Another question that arises from my rewatching of Season Reviews.

Do you reckon the late 90s era team deserved to win at least 1 PL?

I don't think so. My teenage impression was that we simply lacked the spine and leadership of the United and Arsenal sides of that time, and that it wasn't a particularly close run thing. Very often we'd play beautiful football, and all too often we'd get bullied or out-run. I suppose we had an older team than I really appreciated at the time.

We could have won the '99 title with just one or two more fortunate bounces of a ball, and it wouldn't have been a miscarriage of justice. But deserved is too strong a word.

Mourinho's Chelsea are by some distance the best side to not win a CL. Can't see that changing for a while.

Perhaps an odd pick because it's not a victory, bit this 3-3 against Arsenal at Highbury in 1996.

I grew up in Hackney and went to school in Islington, so most of my friends were Arsenal supporters. They took me to this game as a birthday present, and I was sat in the family-friendly bit with the home fans. I was still young and sweet enough looking to get away with obviously being an away fan. Years of losing to Arsenal meant that even at 11 I didn't celebrate at 2-0 up, but did go mental at Wise's last minute equaliser. 

My memory of the home game that season is less fond ... My dad took me and I have a vague recollection that it started at a crazy time, like 11am. May be misremembering but think we had the Wimbledon cup semi-final the weekend after, so we rested everyone and got smashed without much resistance!

poor picture quality here - but very short.
This is how I remember Clive Walker.

The telly people seem to have made the odd change in a few details since I last recalled this game.  And someone has changed the division we were playing in, never mind.  But we still have Walker coming on with about 20 mins to go despite him clearly being our best attacking outlet and us being 3 down since h/t.  Shellito went on to take credit for the match winning substitution of course.

We finished bottom with 20 points that year.  A horrendous 92 goals conceded.  If they did a season's highlights for 78/79 it would just be the last 40 seconds of that clip.

But I promise you, I was there.

• Thanks 1

chara   
3 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Incredible, actually burst out laughing at this. Truly a different era.

This month's official club magazine has photographs of the Chelsea and Leeds players doing a lap of honour together after the Wembley game. Not even my dad is old enough to have been watching the game or aware of the teams at the time, but the pictures were a real surprise to me given the way the game has been mythologised. 

Well..that  was the Wembley game...by they got to OT it was ...well..a "different game".....Wembley was a hard fought battle but with all the "trappings" of a Cup Final after game niceties etc....OT was war with no quarter.....and truly an epic ....

3 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

poor picture quality here - but very short.
This is how I remember Clive Walker.

The telly people seem to have made the odd change in a few details since I last recalled this game.  And someone has changed the division we were playing in, never mind.  But we still have Walker coming on with about 20 mins to go despite him clearly being our best attacking outlet and us being 3 down since h/t.  Shellito went on to take credit for the match winning substitution of course.

We finished bottom with 20 points that year.  A horrendous 92 goals conceded.  If they did a season's highlights for 78/79 it would just be the last 40 seconds of that clip.

But I promise you, I was there.

?? Can't see any reference to the division on that clip. The footage would most probably have come from BBC 2's Saturday evening news, which regularly used to feature similar grainy film of games from the Bridge, presumably because of its proximity to Shepherd's Bush. These would occasionally be shown on Football Preview or Focus as it became known, but the quality was so poor they didn't get much airtime.

In my head I can see a goal from Osgood against WBA in the early 70s, a beautiful swerving finish at the Shed End that bent as much as any shot I'd ever seen. I saw it on BBC2 evening news back then but have never seen it since. Research tells me I was 10, it was in the 26th minute of this match, and was assisted by Gary Locke, who must have been about 15:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/spielbericht/index/spielbericht/3152321

Edited by Backbiter

1 minute ago, Backbiter said:

Can't see any reference to the division on that clip.

No,  I had to look it up to find out.  But in my memory it was definitely Division 2, and the last goal, (now apparently a sloppy og by Big Sam Allardyce) was an exquisite curled shot from the touch line that curled prodigiously around the keeper.
That is certainly how I described it that evening, and I can see why it felt like a Division 2 season.  For some reason my memory improves upon the facts.

Just now, Droy was my hero said:

No,  I had to look it up to find out.  But in my memory it was definitely Division 2, and the last goal, (now apparently a sloppy og by Big Sam Allardyce) was an exquisite curled shot from the touch line that curled prodigiously around the keeper.
That is certainly how I described it that evening, and I can see why it felt like a Division 2 season.  For some reason my memory improves upon the facts.

As you say, it was under Shellito, who only managed us in Div 1 and was sacked later that season in order to give the clueless Danny Blanchflower the privilege of taking us down.