• Current Donation Goals

Sign in to follow this  
RDC Williams

R.I.P. Peter Bonetti 1941-2020

2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

First leg of 1970 final up on Chelsea TV now in good quality.  A must watch.

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/videos/v/2020/03/22/full-match--leeds-v-chelsea---fa-cup-final-1970-tncTZkajE67xt8MJt2NbEjNitXmu3rbw

I imagine the 2nd leg will be up soon.

Brilliant, I was meaning to watch this for the first time during this lockdown. Perfect timing. Was lucky enough to have a selfie with Chopper Harris before our recent win against Spurs. I only learned afterwards (after the game I was reading player bios on the Shed Wall) that he is our record appearance holder!

And as I've learned today, Bonetti is our 2nd record appearance holder. 

RIP. Way before my time, but everything I've ever heard and read suggests he is the greatest keeper in our history. And all the tributes today suggest he was an exemplary gentleman. 

chara   
1 hour ago, blue moon said:

That was what I was watching -  can’t wait for the second leg.

And I can't wait to read your reaction!.......Please post it!!!

1 hour ago, blue moon said:

That was what I was watching -  can’t wait for the second leg.

Bonetti is excellent in this game.  I'll leave the  rest of the game to the Favourite Chelsea matches thread.

chara   

Been struck by how many fans from other clubs on various sites have posted tributes to "The Cat".

Brought to mind a game at Highbury...from the terraces by an Arsenal voice..."You haven't got Bonetti here to save you"..say's it all...

asvaberg   

My childhood hero. Sad to read. RIP, Peter.

I only saw him from 75 onwards but he was still very reliable even in his thirties and it's no coincidence that most of the heavier defeats came during his injury absences. But he was part of '' that '' team which gives him forever iconic status, they went beyond facts and figures. You dont play over 700 games at the top level without being a top quality player. RIP the Cat

Just found this sad news out from this forum. Shows how much the media is chocablock with Covid 19 almost 24/7.

I met PB  a couple of times , once when I was a young lad  as he opened a sports shop in Weybridge and then once more 35 years later in a Chelsea hospitality box. I had a lovely few minutes chatting with him on that second occasion and incredibly he remembered opening that shop in Weybridge. 

He was a real gent, a real Chelsea legend and a really superb keeper. RIP The Cat. You will be remembered fondly by us all.

• Like 3