• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Chelsea 2 Manchester City 1

Unsure how to feel about this game.

I'm very happy with the win because before the game I would have been happy with 1 point, so 2 extra points against a team others have/will drop points to is priceless in the race for 3rd/4th.

But I don't think it's possible to make a sweeping conclusion about where we are in comparison to City is there? City today wasn't "THE CITY". Unless you argue that we played so well we didn't give them a chance to be "THE CITY". But it didn't feel that way to me.

It reminds me of the feeling I got from our FA Cup win against Liverpool. If feels great sure and was enjoyable. But like today's game, it doesn't feel like we can take any evidence from it that we are any closer to challenging for the title. 

1 hour ago, Stim said:

Was absolutely disgusting. When Chelsea scores and they cut to webcams of liverpool fans celebrating. What in the world.

Yes that was very disrespectful to us and City, the commentators constantly going on about it as well and then a live interview with Daglish and Klopp after the game. It was like a satire of the whole "Liverpool have extra sympathy in the Football Media" thing, but it actually happened and was real. They sure love the sycophancy towards Liverpool. 

2 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Tbf, they did the same for Leicester in the Spurs game a few years back. Liverpool winning their first title in 30 years genuinely is a bigger story than 4th place beats 2nd place. 

Very good result, much the same performance as usual.

That's fair enough. I suppose it would have felt less egregious if it wasn't for the pandemic innovations such as video calls being a part of the show. 

Your comment about our result is spot on and echoes my feelings. 

paulw66   
9 hours ago, Blue Rod said:

What a joke? Superb in what? 

Can't pass, can't shoot, can't defend  can't run. He doesn't stand out in any part of his game. At best he is Championship. Gilmour came on, and straightaway hit an exquisite pinpoint pass to Pedro. That is what you call superb. Mount hasn't done anything worth remembering. He is another Ruben Loftus-Cheek in the making.  

I could respond to this, but you'd just dismiss anything I put forward, so I wont. 

Suffice to say, as someone else has pointed out, your argument loses any credibility when you say he is championship player. How can we be 4th, closing in on 3rd, if we have been carrying "a championship" level player all season ? He has started 27 league games, and come on in the other 4, so not like he hasn't been involved.

20 years old at the start of the season, and has got 6 goals, 5 assists (with 7 games to go). To benchmark that, Lampard joined Chelsea a year older and managed 5 goals in his first season.  

Anyway, am happy to say that I know first hand how highly Jody Morris rates him, so Mount won't be going anywhere soon, least of all to play in the Championship.

• Thanks 1

paulw66   
31 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Tbf, they did the same for Leicester in the Spurs game a few years back. Liverpool winning their first title in 30 years genuinely is a bigger story than 4th place beats 2nd place. 

difference being, in the Spurs game in 2016, we were in the middle of the table and noothing was riding on it for us (apart from stopping Spurs)

Last night was a huge result for Chelsea, for various reasons, and it was glossed over (being kind) 

paulw66   
51 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

If City are that bit more clinical, we're a few goals down by half an hour and we're all moaning here

I must have missed those chances. Apart from a free header that Kepa tipped over, what clear cut chances did they have? Yes, they dominated the ball, but we defended well, generally I thought. 

Edit - Not that this tells the whole story, but City's "expected goals" was less than 1, and ours over 4 at FT. Having watched the highlights again, Kepa made one save of note all game, and they hit the post.  

Edited by paulw66

2 hours ago, Stim said:

Was absolutely disgusting. When Chelsea scores and they cut to webcams of liverpool fans celebrating. What in the world.

Watch the match on Bein Sport with 5 minutes to go Tweedle dee and Tweedle dum (keys and Gray) split the screen and decided to have a conversation with Jason McAqueer until the final whistle.

Umm I never realised one of my neighbours was a closet dipper. A scarf appeared in his window this morning. Lets hope he does not come in the near future around asking to borrow my ladder to clean his gutters.

IMO -  chity of liverpool being locked down due to a spike in covid would be my icing on the cake

oh yes and the most importuning thing - we are still 4th, 5 points ahead of manure and wolves and 1 point behind Leicester 

Blue Rod   
1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

Ouch ... Oh wait, this isn't meant to be a dig?

If Amapdu was good enough to play each week, he'd ... Y'know, play each week.

It's the millions of other examples of Liverpool obsession in the last three decades that are ridiculous. 

I think more or less the same thing I've thought about every other performance this season. Periods and moments of class, as many periods ans moments of calamity. If City are that bit more clinical, we're a few goals down by half an hour and we're all moaning here (so I suppose perverse credit to the likes of Blue Rod, who is anyway). If we have that bit more quality, we're potentially 2 or 3 ahead even before Willian's penalty.

Very good result, much the same performance as usual.

Actually I don't moan, I just put my tribalism in the corner for a minute and look at things a bit objectively and critically. And by the way, despite their possession, the stats in the first 30 min showed that City had one shot on target while we had 3. They would have had to find the target first before they could run away with the match.

We did stand off a little bit when we could have got tighter even in our defensive set up. We allowed them to pass like they were training. But I think we corrected that in the final 25 min, however we did it. We even threatened to keep the ball in the final minutes. It showed we can possess the ball if we step up our intensity.

40 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I must have missed those chances. Apart from a free header that Kepa tipped over, what clear cut chances did they have? 

You missed nothing in the game but did imagine me suggesting they had loads of chances. It was pretty plain to see they had complete control of the first 30 minutes or so and that we could not get a foothold. Perhaps "clinical" isn't the best word, but just a little more incisiveness or even just a bobble and that time camped on the edge of our penalty box looks very different. God knows those periods have gone very differently for us in other games this season.

The point wasn't that we were especially poor, nor that City were especially good. It was simply that we've played and performed the exact same way plenty of times this season, sometimes only for shorter bursts, and been punished. That our performances have actually been very consistent, even in their inconsistencies. What has differed from time to time is the result, and that can hinge on very minimal details that don't more generally alter the character of the performance. We've lost games against poor sides that we weren't that bad in, and won games against decent sides with just okay, comparable performances. I don't think it's a controversial take; Lampard has been bemoaning the same thing all season.

Edited by thevelourfog

paulw66   
1 minute ago, thevelourfog said:

You missed nothing in the game but did imagine me suggesting they had loads of chances. It was pretty plain to see they had complete control of the first 30 minutes or so and that we could not get a foothold. Perhaps "clinical" isn't the best word, but just a little more incisiveness or even just a bobble and that time camped on the edge of our penalty box looks very different. 

The point wasn't that we were especially poor, nor that City were especially good. It was simply that we've played and performed the exact same way plenty of times this season, sometimes only for shorter bursts, and been punished. That our performances have actually been very consistent, even in their inconsistencies. What has differed from time to time is the result, and that can hinge on very minimal details that don't more generally alter the character of the performance. We've lost games against poor sides that we weren't that bad in, and won games against decent sides with just okay, comparable performances. I don't think it's a controversial take; Lampard has been bemoaning the same thing all season.

For all of their superiority though, they didn't really threaten. In other games, we have generally conceded chances. 

Blue Rod   
46 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I could respond to this, but you'd just dismiss anything I put forward, so I wont. 

Suffice to say, as someone else has pointed out, your argument loses any credibility when you say he is championship player. How can we be 4th, closing in on 3rd, if we have been carrying "a championship" level player all season ? He has started 27 league games, and come on in the other 4, so not like he hasn't been involved.

20 years old at the start of the season, and has got 6 goals, 5 assists (with 7 games to go). To benchmark that, Lampard joined Chelsea a year older and managed 5 goals in his first season.  

Anyway, am happy to say that I know first hand how highly Jody Morris rates him, so Mount won't be going anywhere soon, least of all to play in the Championship.

Okay, I may have got over the top describing him as Championship. Mount played a couple of remarkable games at start of season, and that was it. Starting stats means absolute f**kall to me so long as I can watch the player and make my own judgement. His attempt at volleying in the early minutes of last night, and his shot placed a few yards off target while under little pressure, summarise his quality. 

Edited by Blue Rod