• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Chelsea 2 Manchester City 1

I thought last night was a very good, disciplined performance. There was of course the same old problem of finishing our chances however defensively we looked much better. 

Kante was solid but looks very restricted in the new role. Kante at his best is winning the ball high up the pitch and turning defence into attack very quickly. Once the squad is back to match fitness would expect him to shift higher up the pitch again.

I was very surprised to see Barkley in the team. He has in the past often looked the fittest player on the pitch in pre-season so perhaps he's just come back in shape whilst Kova and Jorginho are not quite there. 

The whole back four were excellent, a significant improvement from the Villa game. Christensen in particular was great. Playing against Bernardo and then Jesus probably suits him as it's the more physical forward where he has struggled in the past. 

Was strange to see Tammy benched again, especially in a game set up to play on the counter against a high line. He was a nuisance when he came on. 

I can't really understand the criticism of Mount who alongside Azpi was our best player against Villa. Yes he can improve some decision making but he gives so much to this team pressing from the front, beating players and getting in the box. He's 21 and only getting better. Another constant lightning rod for abuse is of course Willian. 2 more great performances and a strong contender for player of the year. It's between him and Kovacic I reckon. 

Finally, a fantastic game from Pulisic who has been sorely missed since he last played in January. Many fast wingers in that scenario last night would have gone for a straight sprint to goal. He had the intelligence to slow down after his initial burst, draw Mendy in and then blitz him in a race to the goal followed by a composed finish. I love how direct he is and if he continues to get himself in the 6-yard box he is going to get a lot of goals as our team improves. 

Edited by Willian Dollar Baby

Blue Rod   
8 hours ago, Jasonb said:

.Kante needs to watch where he gives away free kicks.

Those professional fouls so close to the box do worry me. It seems clear that in both matches; Villa and City, Lampard instructed that those runs through the middle must be stopped at all costs. And Kante did execute the plan at a cost.

Professional fouling is a percentage game. We got away against Villa, got punished with KDB goal last night, but still won the match. So in all we have fouled successfully. Still I do worry.

When it comes to stopping a run, I prefer the Conte style; two or three players sandwiching and quietly smothering the opponent off the ball without committing a foul. But those players have to get there quick. It means serious hard running, all across the field, for which Conte was known in his first season with us.

If Kante has to stop those late runs on his own, he's going to give away many fouls, I'm afraid. That's just the risk from chasing down an opponent from behind.

Edited by Blue Rod
  • Like 1

chara   
18 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

.Ham don't start me on this. I just spent my whole day batting away marxist on another local forum. They are the first to kick Cummings in the nuts, first to call 3 people sitting in a park sick scum and yet 10,000 people on what was essentially a marxist rally (although tbf many didn't know it at the time) was absolutely fine and dandy ...and thats putting aside the riots, attacks on police, looting and desecration of our capitals monuments. 

Well..sorry NB (and Ham).....you have got me going..didn't. watch either Chelsea game or any game for that matter..do read the comments here but I cannot watch games that pander to "fad politics"..my position?..Black lives matter...all lives matter.." Black Lives Matter" as a distasteful political entity does not matter..Quotes.."Pigs in a blanket..fry them like bacon".."What Do We Want?","Dead Cops".."When Do We want It?".."Now"...take a knee for these sort  of community pledges?...Take the knee here is an insult to the National Anthem..in itself no big deal but it dishonours thousands who died for their country..wherever that may be..when I finish here I will be filling in my postal vote for various Federal State and County positions..something that seems to be missing from much of the events of late..... 

Sorry..Promise Jane and MT..... no more politics but want to make it clear what it all means to me and my life long support of MY Club.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

paulw66   
18 hours ago, fillerywhereru said:

Is VAR making refs into bigger cowards?

Good question, I think it is and also exposing club bias at the same time

Saw the highlights again yesterday.

Watch the referee when there is the goal mouth scramble.... When fernandinho handles it, and the ball rolls away from goal, he puts the whistle to his lips, is about to blow, then stops.... He then puts his arms out to signal play on. 

1. What was he about to blow for if not the handball?

2. What possible advantage was being played and to whom?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Saw the highlights again yesterday.

Watch the referee when there is the goal mouth scramble.... When fernandinho handles it, and the ball rolls away from goal, he puts the whistle to his lips, is about to blow, then stops.... He then puts his arms out to signal play on. 

1. What was he about to blow for if not the handball?

2. What possible advantage was being played and to whom?

It was terrible, cowardly, refereeing and he's got away with it with no mention in the media of what an abomination his decision was. 

paulw66   
28 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

It was terrible, cowardly, refereeing and he's got away with it with no mention in the media of what an abomination his decision was. 

It will get to the point where they make no big decisions at all. Safer and easier 

Can anyone tell me what would have happened had he given a handball, penalty and red card, and he was incorrect? How would the game restart?

17 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

It will get to the point where they make no big decisions at all. Safer and easier 

Can anyone tell me what would have happened had he given a handball, penalty and red card, and he was incorrect? How would the game restart?

Trying to remember ... Have any players in any PL game been shown a red for deliberate handball (or professional fouls) before VAR reviewed? Obviously play is being stopped and penalties tentatively awarded, but given all penalties are checked by VAR I feel like I haven't seen any reds given until after that check ...

paulw66   
15 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Trying to remember ... Have any players in any PL game been shown a red for deliberate handball (or professional fouls) before VAR reviewed? Obviously play is being stopped and penalties tentatively awarded, but given all penalties are checked by VAR I feel like I haven't seen any reds given until after that check ...

I can't remember any..... Which kind of validates the point .

Var did overturn United second penalty at Spurs but I can't remember what happened next in terms of a restart 

45 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

27 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I think all Red card decisions get VARed at once.  So the ref stops play, tells VAR he intends to give a Red, and VAR do an immediate check before the ref puts his card up.  
Point being that the Red card decision is made after the game has been stopped.

Restarts after a wrongly given penalty aren't really an issue as you just give the ball to the keeper.  Restarts after a  penalty given only by VAR are an issue because by the time they make their recommendation the ball might have gone up the other end and a goal scored (didn't that happen somewhere?)