• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Chelsea 2 Manchester City 1

paulw66   
24 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Restarts after a wrongly given penalty aren't really an issue as you just give the ball to the keeper.  

But that potentially punishes a team depending on where the ball went to. It could still be pinballing around the area and the attacking team might have subsequently scored. Or think Torres in Barca, the Barcelona players appealing for handball on Cole, he then whacks it clear for Torres to go clean through. What would happen if the penalty was given, then overturned? Sorry Chelsea, Torres goal doesn't happen.... Basically this is why I dislike Var in football

2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

I think all Red card decisions get VARed at once.  So the ref stops play, tells VAR he intends to give a Red, and VAR do an immediate check before the ref puts his card up.  
Point being that the Red card decision is made after the game has been stopped.

Restarts after a wrongly given penalty aren't really an issue as you just give the ball to the keeper.  Restarts after a  penalty given only by VAR are an issue because by the time they make their recommendation the ball might have gone up the other end and a goal scored (didn't that happen somewhere?)

If my memory is correct there was an incident in the Liverpool vs City game where City should have been given a clear penalty, play went on and Liverpool scored. On that occasion VAR didn't have the balls to make the correct call which would be to disallow the goal and award a penalty up the other end. 

39 minutes ago, Willian Dollar Baby said:

If my memory is correct there was an incident in the Liverpool vs City game where City should have been given a clear penalty, play went on and Liverpool scored. On that occasion VAR didn't have the balls to make the correct call which would be to disallow the goal and award a penalty up the other end. 

A potentially season-altering, corrupt decision.

40 minutes ago, Willian Dollar Baby said:

Correct. Over turning a Liverpool goal was never going to happen though!

4 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Trying to remember ... Have any players in any PL game been shown a red for deliberate handball (or professional fouls) before VAR reviewed? Obviously play is being stopped and penalties tentatively awarded, but given all penalties are checked by VAR I feel like I haven't seen any reds given until after that check ...

From another era so pretty irrelevant to the point here, but I remember Ashley Cole being red-carded for a supposed handball on the line in injury time v Villa at the Bridge. They scored the pen and gained a dodgy draw. Replays showed the ball hit his torso not his arm, and Cole appealed to get the red card overturned. Astonishingly (or maybe not), the FA panel refused to rescind the card.

Fast forward a few years, and the ref sends off Kieran Gibbs after AOxC deliberately handballs to prevent a goal. Gibbs appeals, and the card is rescinded. But they do not apply the card to AOxC and ban him, because the video suggested the ball was not going in.

Back on topic, it is pretty scandalous that VAR has had to intervene to award blatant pens that refs have failed to award us. First, the assault on Alonso at Spurs, and now the handball on the line v City. 

In the Norwich v Man U FA Cup game, ref gave a red card which was then checked (and confirmed) on VAR... so I think it may be entirely down to whether that ref has a spine or not.

4 hours ago, Backbiter said:

A potentially season-altering, corrupt decision.

One among many. 

I reckon they’ve been given at least 10 points they had no business being awarded due to very dodgy VAR-calls.