• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

West Ham United 3 Chelsea 2

2 minutes ago, JaneB said:

No.

But thanks for a more balanced view Droy.  Awful awful result but these matchday threads are lethal for concluding the end of the world is nigh.

More balanced but still wrong. 😂 

chelboy   
4 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

We do need to attack defences instead of passing in front of them then crossing. But running at defences is a collecrive thing. If you do it on your own, all you do is lose the ball. 

It’s become very cross and hope football. That’s what it is when we play against parked buses. Good flowing football died off from new years. I thought we played very lazy today. No one wanted to try anything different with the ball. All played within themselves. Pulisic needed another person to try and be on his level. 

Holymoly   

If anyone's interested, I know why we're shite at defending.

Pretty obvious really. I think Frank (and previous managers too, since Jose really) pays too much regard to defensive ability. Think back to 2012. Who were our central defenders? Cahill and DL, neither of whom were the fastest or the greatest defenders. What they were however was a presence in the box, both attacking and defending for corners and free kicks. They were towering figures who stood out purely through force of character.

Today we had Rudiger and Christensen. The former has all the characteristics to be that presence in the box but somehow the pieces just don't seem to come together, and the latter just comes across as a bit of a soft defender that can be easily bullied. You could argue that today's players are better defenders than Cahill and DL in open play but in the modern game that seems to be less important. How many times do we hide behind the sofa when we have to defend a corner or a freekick? It comes down not to defensive ability but to physical presence. If you have that it seems to feed through into other aspects of defensive football. At present we are a team devoid of any ability to operate in set plays and that means we are scared stiff of conceding these scenarios when in open play.

We need to find some hard as nails defenders, defensive ability not neccessarily a requirement.

Oh, and get a dependable GK while you're at it.

bONes   
6 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Apparently I wasn't watching the same game as a lot of people, certainly not Gary Neville.
All in all we were pretty much the better side - more so than against Villa or Leicester.  4 games, 3 wins is about right for our last 4 performances.  No complaints that this one didn't go our way when 2 close games did.  
And last time WHU beat us twice in a season they got relegated - a good omen.  And we nicked Joe Cole and GJ cheap afterwards.

Willian was good - and there was a brilliant cross that RLC should have tapped in.
For 85 mins (all but start of H2) we were the stronger side.

The offside VAR was blatant - the striker kicked the ball into the guy on the floor and then put in the rebound.  VAR never showed the shot or Kepa because they had already decided that, they were only considering how far offside he was (plenty).

Their 2nd should also have not been given - Antonio blatantly dives when challenged by Rudiger and the ref just plays on - he should stop play and book him.  VAR should also call the dive and rule the goal our.

Pulisic was astar - I guess we all agree on that.

Quick question - say RM come back to us and say how about a straight swap:  Pulisic for Hazard?
What do you say?

Agreed. Just feels like a HUGE missed opportunity.

Remembe the RCL and Giroud chances btw. Tammy also had a few half chances, but looked awful - can’t believe he didn't clear the first goal of the line too!

Eden is on a decline unfortunately, and Pulisic is still just 21! Good question though :)

I'll make 50-55 in pages for this thread

7 minutes ago, Dingus said:

If I see Azpi and William continually pass the ball to one another yet don’t even make an attacking run it’ll be too soon.

I seem to recall them doing exactly that against Leicester this week.  Suddenly both defenders went with Azpi, he passed back to Willian who could take a step forward, look up, and whip a beautiful ball in for Barkley to shin in.

7 minutes ago, GURJ SS said:

As much as we can blame Rudiger and he was hugely at fault we must also look everywhere else. It's just basic knowledge that when the fullbacks are pushed that far up the pitch then it's the job of the midfield to cover for them,

Kante got sucked in trying to win a header on the edge of the area against some giant and fell over - otherwise he'd have only been giving 20m on the goalscorer and would have caught him  :)
He has only played 4 games at DM in his life.

Rob B   
1 minute ago, Lump Of Celery said:

I seem to remember that was a good partnership at the start of the season when rudiger was injured. Tomori sees to be bottom of the pile now, or at least he did 2 hours ago

He’s still injured in fairness.  I’d like to see Zouma given a run instead of Rudiger personally.  I feel like Kurt gets a raw deal because he doesn’t look so graceful and eloquent on the ball.  But he’s a monster physically and rapid. 

Blue Rod   
1 minute ago, Bridge Soldier said:

That was shocking. From basically everyone apart from Pulisic and Willian. 

We have to sign a Centre Back AND a Left Back before we even think about bidding for Kai Havertz or whoever else higher up the pitch. 

Four games against Bournemouth and West Ham. 1 point. That's dreadful.

it's not just about signing players. They need to be properly coached, organised and given a game plan. We can't just let Frank Lampard off. He is the manager of this team 

1 minute ago, chelboy said:

It’s become very cross and hope football. That’s what it is when we play against parked buses. Good flowing football died off from new years. I thought we played very lazy today. No one wanted to try anything different with the ball. All played within themselves. Pulisic needed another person to try and be on his level. 

The two new signings will give us this next year. Just hope it is in the Champions league but no so sure now.

bONes   
2 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

If anyone's interested, I know why we're shite at defending.

Pretty obvious really. I think Frank (and previous managers too, since Jose really) pays too much regard to defensive ability. Think back to 2012. Who were our central defenders? Cahill and DL, neither of whom were the fastest or the greatest defenders. What they were however was a presence in the box, both attacking and defending for corners and free kicks. They were towering figures who stood out purely through force of character.

Today we had Rudiger and Christensen. The former has all the characteristics to be that presence in the box but somehow the pieces just don't seem to come together, and the latter just comes across as a bit of a soft defender that can be easily bullied. You could argue that today's players are better defenders than Cahill and DL in open play but in the modern game that seems to be less important. How many times do we hide behind the sofa when we have to defend a corner or a freekick? It comes down not to defensive ability but to physical presence. If you have that it seems to feed through into other aspects of defensive football. At present we are a team devoid of any ability to operate in set plays and that means we are scared stiff of conceding these scenarios when in open play.

We need to find some hard as nails defenders, defensive ability not neccessarily a requirement.

Oh, and get a dependable GK while you're at it.

I remeber the days when we were constantly seeing JT or Cahill on the scoresheet.

Rüdiger did get 2 against Leicester, but too inconsistent..