• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

West Ham United 3 Chelsea 2

GURJ SS   

I think this defeat is particularly bad because we've sent a very clear message out to the rest of the league, much the same as a team like Arsenal does or Spurs, they make their weaknesses very very clear; every team has them but it's how well you hide them that matters.

Ours is that if you put 2 banks of 4 behind the ball, a physical striker on the pitch and some height on the ball, then we'll fold like a cheap hooker getting punched in the stomach by a guy with boils on his face. We're lucky the league has changed in style and teams keep the ball on the ground more with short passing, 10-15 years ago we'd be getting beat week in week out.

This team needs a shake up and fast, we need to go back to a triangle of Tomori, Zouma and Jorge in front of the keeper. Not only did Tomori and Zouma develop an understanding but Kovacic and Jorge had a very good understanding between each other earlier in the season and we need to find these pockets of understanding again, Kante is a great player but he's wasted sitting back in front of the backline, he needs to be winning the ball higher up the pitch but only in games we won't see more of the ball in. Giroud and Pulisic must start as many games as possible. Reese needs to be playing, even if that means Dave switching to left back (it's not like the left backs are doing well).

For the next game I'd pick:

Kepa;

Reese, Zouma, Tomori, Dave;

Jorge;

Odoi, Kovacic, Mount, Pulisic;

Giroud;

Reasons - Kovacic can link up with Jorge to control the midifeld and also give cover to Reese and Odoi down the right. Dave on the left would provide cover for Mount and Pulisic to get forward. Odi and Pulisic are two wide men that will run at an opposition and are quick enough to get past their marker and put the ball into Giroud, and Mount would be able to join the attack as a late runner while being covered by Jorge and Kova.

chelboy   
7 minutes ago, bONes said:

A472AE73-F12C-4E60-9396-4ACDACE30863.jpeg

CBA04938-86D7-48EB-9309-52223F56BF3A.jpeg

Don’t have the characteristics or physical presence to hold onto leads when pressure starts to apply, We tend to crumble. 

GURJ SS   
25 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Kante got sucked in trying to win a header on the edge of the area against some giant and fell over - otherwise he'd have only been giving 20m on the goalscorer and would have caught him  :)

He has only played 4 games at DM in his life.

I think it's a mental decision to play him at DM. Just because a player is quick and can win the ball doesn't mean he's a DM, that position is all about...well...positioning, and when your team has most of the possession then it's a vital position, one I don't think Kante has the right attributes to play; players like Jorge are built for that moment, they're able to decide in a split second which side the opposition is weaker down and release the ball down that wing. Pirlo was a master at it, and also because of Makelele having such ball winning ability this part of his game was hugely overlooked; as was Carvalho's when he'd step into midfield.

GURJ SS   
17 minutes ago, bONes said:

That's shocking. It also shows how weak teams have got in league, that we've lost more games than the current team in 10th place, and we're 4th.

2 minutes ago, GURJ SS said:

That's shocking. It also shows how weak teams have got in league, that we've lost more games than the current team in 10th place, and we're 4th.

How strong*

GURJ SS   
Just now, Whataloadofballacks said:

How strong*

Every year teams are supposed to get stronger, that has stopped happening for a few years now. If you ask fans who they'd replace in their teams they'll give you a list longer than those they'd keep, there was a time when they'd only pick 3-4 players to replace because they acknowledged their club couldn't realistically get better players in at certain positions; now they'd gut their teams out because the quality just isn't there.

2 hours ago, bONes said:

I remeber the days when we were constantly seeing JT or Cahill on the scoresheet.

Rüdiger did get 2 against Leicester, but too inconsistent..

My God we still miss JT.  Even now, if Cahill and JT had been thrown into that game we would have fared better.  

3 hours ago, bONes said:

I dont like looking at these stats. Not because they would be frustrating to any chelsea fan reading them, but because regardless of what they mean we are still 4th and 1 point away from 3rd and 2 points ahead of 5th with about 6 games to go.

Its not just about positivity because going into the season everyone knew that this group had issues and expected us to be lower - myself included. Frank has overachieved. 

That was arguably the worst display I saw from 2 Chelsea central defenders off the top of my head.

chelboy   

I wonder how Christensen would do in the championship against even more physical and direct strikers. I don’t think he would last in that league. Staff have to take a look and really think if he can adapt physically to this league. His physique isn’t  the worst problem its his lack of aggression. I have seen guys that are half of Christensen size get more stuck in than he does. Aggression is a mentality rather than physical appearance. 

This is the first time under the RA era where we are seeing our CB’s get bullied and pushed around as if they weren’t there. Compare it to other CB’s such as Terry , Carv, Cahill, Luiz, Alex and Ivanovic. Never mind the ability of those 5/6 you simply couldn’t push them around and the opposition knew this. Put Rudiger and Christensen in that list and they drop straight to the bottom in terms of ability and strength. On top of that we have a GK that has far less physical presence in the box compared to our previous two GK. Also lacks commanding his box while being a pretty average shot stopper. Just to sweeten the deal we have DM’s who are light and physically weak for that position. You couldn’t try to set up a team that is less suited to the PL if you tried. The DNA of this team has to change completely in midfield and defence. We need to get a completely new spine if we want to challenge for the PL. 

This is up there with most painful defeat in quite a while. To concede 3 (4 really) and your keeper generally has a quiet evening is just shambolic. You could see Lamps was raging and rightly so. At the same time, he really has to do away with project Barkley and project Christensen. It’s just not gonna happen with either of them. Sell up and take the money. Combined £40 odd million there.

Rudiger has massively gone down in my estimations tonight. He was poor, but I can’t accept his defending for that third goal. I get players are not necessarily football fans and they have a life out of football, but seriously you have to know Yarmelenko is very left sided. If you stand him up on his right in that scenario, then you are hugely increasing the percentages in your favour of that attack breaking down. I just can’t accept what Rudiger done there and I feel let down by lack of professionalism by him for that goal.

Alonso casual jog back looks and is awful too. He is so one paced, I doubt he would of got back anyway to be honest. Though that’s not really the point.

Horrible night. Horrible defensive performance and one of the most avoidable defeats possible. I think some players finished their careers at the club tonight.