• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

West Ham United 3 Chelsea 2

chelboy   
7 hours ago, Leo91 said:

Where is the Rudiger who put in that performance in the 2018 FA Cup final gone ?

Playing in a back 4 now. His weaknesses get exposed more and there is no 3rd CB to cover for him. Same with Christensen. I think any average defender could have looked comfortable defending  in Conte system when you have Kante/Matic protecting plus a 3rd CB. Not to mention a GK who the defenders trust. 

7 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

I'd doubt that, we are talking about professional footballers. Of course they can defend it's just that they are doing silly mistakes technically and positionally. 

I'd have thought being able to defend expressly involves not making numerous silly technical and positional mistakes.

Each of our defenders has, imo, pretty good individual characteristics and abilities. Put together, they very often seem unable to make proper or full use of them. Won't claim I know why exactly or what would fix it.

53 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I'd have thought being able to defend expressly involves not making numerous silly technical and positional mistakes.

Each of our defenders has, imo, pretty good individual characteristics and abilities. Put together, they very often seem unable to make proper or full use of them. Won't claim I know why exactly or what would fix it.

I think it’s a combination of many things. I’m certain our defenders look more shaky because they don’t have a keeper behind them that commands his area or the air. Likewise I think that all four CBs suffer from not having a leader next to them to structure the defense (think JT). 

Finally I think a big and strong DM is lacking to provide protection to the back four, covering positionally but also as extra support in the air. 

Kante is amazing, but not a classical DM for me. He’s a box-to-box midfielder that should roam around and break up play. 

Ideally, if we are buying Havertz, I’m thinking a midfield combo of a big and strong DM together with Kante (for pressing and ball-winning abilities) coupled with the attacking abilities of Havertz would be a well-balanced midfield.  Add a leader at CB and a better keeper and the side looks completely different and more balanced. 

Jasonb   
31 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

I think it’s a combination of many things. I’m certain our defenders look more shaky because they don’t have a keeper behind them that commands his area or the air. Likewise I think that all four CBs suffer from not having a leader next to them to structure the defense (think JT). 

Finally I think a big and strong DM is lacking to provide protection to the back four, covering positionally but also as extra support in the air. 

Kante is amazing, but not a classical DM for me. He’s a box-to-box midfielder that should roam around and break up play. 

Ideally, if we are buying Havertz, I’m thinking a midfield combo of a big and strong DM together with Kante (for pressing and ball-winning abilities) coupled with the attacking abilities of Havertz would be a well-balanced midfield.  Add a leader at CB and a better keeper and the side looks completely different and more balanced. 

I think the same with the Keeper, I think we need to strengthen to get a keeper capable of punching away corners and crosses, a new better quality CB and one that probably plays left sided. 

I agree about a bigger DM and notice we tend to buy short attacking players.

I also notice we need new full backs, Alonso good in attack is vulnerable in defense though is good in the air defensively. Not sure James will make it as a right back more of a midfielder for me and read today we are looking at Digne of Everton.

It seems to me we really need to rebuild the whole side and don't think Frank will get the necessary funds so expect maybe 1 or 2 more additions before the new season window closes. 

GURJ SS   
On 02/07/2020 at 7:11 PM, chelboy said:

When we were playing our best football we were under no pressure and still being class as underdogs over achieving. All that is gone and we are in the pressure times of the season. Some players will crumble while others may stand up. Don’t forget injuries is what gave Tomori a chance. If Rudiger and Christensen been fit from the start Tomori wouldn’t play. Same with Jorg Kova and Kante. 

It’s interesting to see people questioning the style of play but I am wondering do we have the players to play through the middle against a tight defence? Other than Pulisic no one can play in between the lines. In central  zones on the pitch we are missing players such as Cesc and Hazard that can give us that creativity to pick out passes. Pulisic tries to make things happen but he isn’t on that world class level yet where he can decide games. I’m not enjoying the style of play when teams sit back against us. It’s very “cross ball” football without many good crossers. Once we get players like Ziyech  possibly Havertz then I expect the play in between the lines to be much better. 

As for Lamps my main criticism so far would be set piece organisation and gung-ho football. I thought we stopped the gung ho stuff from December but yesterday we did that last 5 mins. Maybe it was poor discipline or tactical who knows. 

I tend to notice the players claimed Sarri and Conte were very tactical sometimes and didn’t enjoy it. I am wondering if Lamps is too easy on some tactical stuff and giving them too much freedom. Problem is many of this team don’t have the in-game intelligence to understand what to do in certain moments and need that tactical learning to help them and guide. I can understand younger players lacking in-game intelligence but when I see the Rudigers and Alonso doing it then I really question their reading of the game. I reckon Lamps has a few favourites in the team that he picks no matter what. Its been clear that Christensen struggles against lower half strikers who tend to be physical and mobile. I have a feeling Zouma and Rudiger have the best least conceded goals combination for us. Their strengths and weaknesses complement each other but Christensen must always play when fit and especially at RCB. Could also be that Christensen played under Jody that gives him the edge because I don’t really know what does. 

If anything I think they had the most pressure on them, people were rubbing their hands at the prospect of Chelsea being dead and buried early on in the season, yet they surprised many by playing confidently and better than most other centre backs in the league. The fact is they performed when they were called upon and by that merit they should have had Rudiger and Christensen force their way back into the team and not simply walk back in; I could understand if they were players of great quality but our centre backs are so close in terms of overall quality that it can't be justified dropping those doing well for players who have performed worse. Does it point to Lampard not being strong enough or good enough to make the right choices? Halfway through a season he tore out the spine of the team and it's lead to inconsistent performances and many of those who he brought in have been far more inconsistent than the players they replaced; is it simply that Lampard got lucky that the right players were injured at the same time.

Jorge, Kovacic, Pulisic, Willian and Pedro can play in-between the lines, and I'd say Mount and RLC aren't too bad at it to say we should avoid playing that way. I'd say it's better than constantly crossing the ball to just one target in the box. We're doing it right now against Watford, our goal came from playing in-between the lines yet we keep crossing, Pulisic won the penalty by keeping the ball on the ground yet we keep trying to get a perfect crossing right.

For a player who played in a team that was known for organisation, the way he sets up set-pieces is nothing short of abysmal, I'm surprised JT hasn't made a call and asked him what's going on..

I'd agree and I think it's because we are just genuinely leaderless on the pitch, Dave is more of a captain that you'd have stand in, great worker but not the largest of personalities to boss things. Personally I think Zouma and Tomori are great together, I want to see Ruidger sold as I think at his age he should be the finish product but still looks like it's only his 2nd season as a first team player.