• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Crystal Palace 2 Chelsea 3

Well, that was fun... NOT!

That was one of the least enjoyable victories I've ever seen, no idea how we won... but we did and that is all that matters.

Some good points though...

Pulisic, just Pulisic.

Zouma last-ditch tackle, love to see it!

Kepa vital save.

Tammy goal.

3 points.

Arsenal do us a favour here and we're in a very strong position.

Only the result was really good.
Fortunately Palace were worse on the day than we were, and their piece of magic was balanced out by Pulisic's.

Kepa pulled off a fine save to push that late header onto the post - though only those watching on TV would have seen that replay.  

Gilmour started poor, got a lot better, but not really good enough (yet).
James is 20,  bit late to be carrying that much puppy fat.
RLC has pushed his way ahead in my pecking order into first choice "hang around No 10 role with out doing much else" role.  Sorry Bats.

The only upside I found from this was that we have at least rehearsed corners for the first time this season.

I'd like to praise us for winning without playing well.  But that'd mean praising Palace even more for getting 2 goals, nearly 3, while looking absolute rubbish.

1 hour ago, Never happy said:

80 mins late Lampard

440 mins late -4 games + 80 mins

58 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Rolf Harris has been brilliant since he came on. 

I don't know what the coach thinks, but the players clearly feel much much much happier playing with Jorginho in that role.

58 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

MOTM Jorginho 

Indeed.  If he goes it had better be for a lot of money.  Mount 2nd.

23 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Jesus, is there anyone else we've got to play who hasn't scored for the last 5 years? Got to the point that I'd rather be up against in-form attackers.

Tammy scored too.  We could try Bats next.

1 minute ago, Ham said:

I was missing the relative zen of lockdown in that second half. Stress isn't the word. 

It was back to those "the worst is going to happen, the absolute worst" thoughts that are meant to stop it actually happening.

Holymoly   

Can someone please explain something to me? Our goal difference is just +17. The Scum and City both have a goal difference of +47 and Leicester's is +32 before tonights game. How the hell are we still in touch with second? I'll tell you what though, so many games won by just the odd goal has done nothing for my blood pressure this season, but it could have been so much worse. Tonight is a case in point, I came away from this thinking we could have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. We need to be more ruthless next season, and that only comes with a bit experience and moral presence.

Edited by Holymoly

On 7/7/2020 at 8:56 PM, Holymoly said:

Can someone please explain something to me? Our goal difference is just +17. The Scum and City both have a gaol difference of +47 and Leicester's is +32 before tonights game. How the hell are we still in touch with second? I'll tell you what though, so many games won by just the odd goal has done nothing for my blood pressure this season, but it could have been so much worse. Tonight is a case in point, I came away from this thinking we could have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. We need to be more ruthless next season, and that only comes with a bit experience and moral presence.

But here's the difference. We are scoring that second goal that everyone used to say we never got.  So while our blood pressure goes up (when then enevetibly score) we still scrape it. 

Edited by NoblyBobly

I did think that that was the most Chelsea performance of the season. Till my son reminded me that we chucked away a 2-0 lead. At home. In injury time. Against Arsenal. Who had 10 men.

Just now, NoblyBobly said:

But here's the difference. We are scoring that second goal that everyone used to say we never got.  So while our blood pressure goes up (when then enevetibly) score we still scrape it. 

You missed the West Ham game, obviously.

23 hours ago, Backbiter said:

You missed the West Ham game, obviously.

I'm not claiming we win every game that's put in front of us but we are currently third. Something must be happening. 

We are - and so too much negativity is silly, especially when many had us finishing between 6th and 10th before the season began - but the fact that we are third despite having conceded more goals than the likes of Newcastle, Palace and Brighton (and a LOT more than the teams around us) is worth noting. 

18 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

I'm not claiming we win every game that's put in front of us but we are currently third. Something must be happening. 

If we somehow hang on to third place we'll be the worst team to finish third in the Premier league since Hazard + 10 others last season.

Wow, just wow. Kepa Arrizabalaga is possible the worst first choice keeper I've ever seen at Chelsea. He just doesn't have anything going for him. Zaha's goal simply can't be allowed to sneak in. It wasn't even in the top corner! He's just too short, not able to come off the ground and is slow to react. Palace tried to get the ball in the box and everytime they did it was a half chance at least. 

I tell you what, there is absolutely no way this team will ever fulfill it's potential while he's still our GK1. Getting Kepa out and an able keeper in this summer must be our number one priority now. 

CB isn't a well stocked position in terms of quality Christensens reaction after their second was just hilarious. He's all over the shop and then looking for someone else to blame. Sure tell of a loser. I firmly put him in the Kepa camp - too weak, not good enough in the sir and lack concentration over 90 mins. Something he's stuggled with his whole career and it's not getting any better. CB3 at absolute best at a  club like us and where we want to be. 

Finally end on a positive note - Abraham scored again but was silly losing the ball before Palace hit the post. Loftus-Cheek getting an assists, he has so much potemtial driving the ball forward in transition. I really hope he gets to stay injury free for a while now. Pulisic... What to say, easily our player of the season imo. What a buy he's been and I wouldn't swap him to get Hazard back in a million years. He's so direct and it'll be absolutel ylethal having him, Ziyech and Werner playing together.