• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Crystal Palace 2 Chelsea 3

9 hours ago, paulw66 said:

The two squads are very similar.

Hazard out was obviously a big loss, but Pulisic is now contributing every game. 

Defence is the same except swap Luiz for Zouma, and yet we are conceding far more, which is a worry 

Also concerned about why Jorginho isn't playing. This is no time to be stubborn. From the moment Zaha scored until the moment he came on, Palace dominated possession, which should never happen.

Perhaps despite his occasional high profile howlers Luiz was actually a good player

Ham   
5 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

That's not true. Mount rightfully got MOTM against Watford and was very good again today. Certainly he is still improving.

I'd have to disagree there. Even Mount himself was shocked to get MOTM. Pulisic was far better. 

bert19   
2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Is he? 

4 League goals all season

One wonder strike isn't enough. Hugely hit and miss.

I went to the Chelsea vs Palace game earlier in the season and if he’d spent as much time trying to run at us as he did just being a tit, he’d have been far more effective. My main memory of him from that game Is that he should have been sent off for a combination of petulant fouling a even more Petulant dissent. I think Palace priced him out of a big move when he re-signed there and he’s been annoyed about it since.

Cracking goal last night, but I thought Van Aanholt and their no. 8 in their midfield were more consistent threats for them overall.

paulw66   
On 06/07/2020 at 9:20 AM, paulw66 said:

Let's be honest, we all know exactly what is going to happen here.

- We will have 65%+ possession

- We will have 15+ shots, a lot of which willl be blocked by their line of 4 and 5.

- We will have 10+ corners, and won't look dangerous from any

Conversely, Palace:

- will sit with 9 mine in two lines and cede possession happily and will counter attack

- they will have 5 or 6 shots

- they will have 3 or 4 corners and we will sh*t oursleves with every one.

The game will be decided by how much we make of our chances, and how well we defend those set pieces. 

Palace had more possession and shots than I predicted, but not too far off! We actually defended set pieces much better, although our attacking ones remain a waste of time.

1 minute ago, bert19 said:

I went to the Chelsea vs Palace game earlier in the season and if he’d spent as much time trying to run at us as he did just being a tit, he’d have been far more effective. My main memory of him from that game Is that he should have been sent off for a combination of petulant fouling a even more Petulant dissent. I think Palace priced him out of a big move when he re-signed there and he’s been annoyed about it since.

Cracking goal last night, but I thought Van Aanholt and their no. 8 in their midfield were more consistent threats for them overall.

Quite. I always think if a player wants to go, you are better off doing a deal. Zaha needs a new club. 

paulw66   
9 minutes ago, Ham said:

I'd have to disagree there. Even Mount himself was shocked to get MOTM. Pulisic was far better. 

I think the point was that he is playing well generally.

Think he'll be even better next season for this year's experience. I also think he wont be as relied upon, which can only help 

paulw66   

Didn't see it mentioned much, but have to say, I really didn't "enjoy" our first goal. Of all the people for that to happen to, it is such a shame it was Cahill. What a player he was for us, and for just £7m. Glad he did the decent thing and did that against us, and not Man Utd. 

6 hours ago, Original 21 said:

I don’t know what’s happened to Christiansen. I remember a game a few years back against Man City when he was outstanding and Guardiola actually went up to him on the pitch afterwards to congratulate him on how good he was. He had all the attributes. Now he just looks a bit lightweight. Physically and mentally. 

Did he ? Excellent , maybe we can swap him for Laporte ?

Holymoly   
11 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Also.... Do we have an issue with fitness ? How many late goals against?

Nearly today, and against Watford. Late concession at West ham.... Arsenal at home, Newcastle away.... Spurs at home....

I don't think it's a question of fitness. I think we're just a small team and can get hustled off the ball if teams decide to throw everything at us towards the end of games. Even the GK is small and doesn't give the reassurance to the defenders in front of him, none of which are particularly blessed with determination and concentration.

Edited by Holymoly

paulw66   
8 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

I don't think it's a question of fitness. I think we're just a small team and can get hustled off the ball if teams decide to throw everything at us towards the end of games. Even the GK is small and doesn't give the reassurance to the defenders in front of him, none of which are particularly blessed with determination and concentration.

Maybe, but in those games listed, bar Newcastle, none of the goals were due to long or high balls in the area........ A lot of panicking seems to go on. 

Holymoly   
2 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Maybe, but in those games listed, bar Newcastle, none of the goals were due to long or high balls in the area........ A lot of panicking seems to go on. 

It's not so much high balls, it's bullying us in the way Essien, Ballack, Drogba et al used to do it to the opposition. We used to steamroller sides physically. That happens to us although in our case all too often the bullying is mental rather than physical.