• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Sheffield United 3 Chelsea 0

JaneB   

Please use this thread for all posts relating to our Premier League match against Sheffield United at Bramall Lane, before, during and after the game.

The Moderators will be keeping an eye on things, so let's try to keep it intelligent.

Please note that this un-moderated forum is a privilege and its abuse will result in the suspension of your account.

The match is scheduled to kick off at 17:30 hrs. Saturday, 11th July 2020 (Local time/date) (Live on Sky Sports)

JaneB   

Could be tricky.

paulw66   

So, been doing some basic maths.

3. Chelsea, 60 points, 4 games left

4. Leicester 59 points, 4 games left

5. Man Utd 55 points, 5 games left

If we take worst case scenario and Leicester and Man Utd win all their remaining games, Leicester can get 71 and Man Utd can get 70. The kicker being they play each other on the final day, so:

If they win their next 3 and 4 games respectively, then

a. A win for Leicester puts them on 71, and Man Utd on 67

b. A win for United puts them on 70 and Leicester on 68

c. A draw puts Leicester on 69 and United on 68

So, we need 9 points from the remaining 3 games to gurantee a top 4 finish. have to win our next 2 I think before we play Wolves and Liverpool. That said, I don't think Man Utd and Leicester will win those 7 games collectively, so I actually think 67 points will do it. 2 wins and a draw. 

Jorginho back please Frank. It was so bleeding obvious he needed to come on last night when our midfield was getting absolutely battered in the second half. Jorginho comes on and within 10 seconds is winning the ball back, spraying passes and releasing pressure on the whole team. Palace immediately backed off 15 yards.

It seems Frank since just before the restart has decided that 2 attacking number 8s is the way he wants to go with the midfield which perhaps explains Kante's move central and Jorginho's disappearance. I don't know what's gone on behind the scenes, perhaps Frank has decided he doesn't fit, maybe they need to raise funds, maybe Jorginho's head has been turned. I personally would be gutted to see him go, especially now it looks like we are finally building a team that will be on his level. If however he is going, with Kova and Kante injured it is absolute madness to leave this guy out of the team. Whatever problem there is, patch it up and use him for these last 5 or 6 games. Gilmour will be a good player one day but he is nowhere near ready to play a mature role at the base of the midfield at Chelsea. I felt yesterday we were extremely close to throwing away 3 crucial points over some silly behind the scenes nonsense. The fact Jorgy didn't come on until 78th minute was insulting. 

For some reason we seem to have a history of leaving high quality, playmakers to rot on the bench. It feels like yesterday I was screaming at the telly to bring Cesc on and being gutted to see him get 10 minutes at the end. Cesc managed to win over Conte, not so much Sarri, I still hold hope Jorginho can do the same. Where the situation is different is Jorg started the season in favour and became VC. I wonder if his stupid yellows before lockdown have anything to do with it. At the time our midfield was thread bare and in consecutive games Jorgy got silly yellows and ended up missing 3 games. Who cares now, the aim is to hold off United and Leicester and the best way to do that is to play your best players. 

• Like 1

bert19   
22 minutes ago, Willian Dollar Baby said:

Jorginho back please Frank. It was so bleeding obvious he needed to come on last night when our midfield was getting absolutely battered in the second half. Jorginho comes on and within 10 seconds is winning the ball back, spraying passes and releasing pressure on the whole team. Palace immediately backed off 15 yards.

Agree about his effect on the game yesterday.  If others hadn't been so set on passing backwards or not taking the ball towards the penalty area, that 4-5mins of complete dominance in possession could well have led to a fourth goal to kill the game.  Palace looked like they were struggling.  

I think he should start on Saturday to be fair.  

My team would be: 

Kepa

Reece Rudiger Zouma Azpi 

Kante (if fit) Jorginho 

Willian Mount Pulisic 

Giroud

(More 4-2-1-3 than 4-2-3-1 though.  I like Mount much more as a CM rather than '10')

Edited by bert19

15 minutes ago, Willian Dollar Baby said:

It seems Frank since just before the restart has decided that 2 attacking number 8s

I doubt it.  I think we lost Jorginho for reasons unexplained and he has rarely been able to pick Kovacic and Kante in the same team.
I'm sure he has said he wanted 2 attacking 8s - but managers usually claim decisions forced upon them are decisions made by them.  And Frank is more media savvy than most.

20 minutes ago, Willian Dollar Baby said:

The risk of pressing up on Gilmour and the backs 2 suddenly became no longer worth the reward.
But the big difference was not so much Jorginho over Gilmour as the way everyone else started listening to the real on the field captain.  They suddenly looked a lot more confident on the ball.

23 minutes ago, Willian Dollar Baby said:

I wonder if his stupid yellows before lockdown have anything to do with it. At the time our midfield was thread bare and in consecutive games Jorgy got silly yellows and ended up missing 3 games.

Hope it is something silly that they can get over.  I fear the guy winning Serie A has demanded his favourite player.  Indeed he might have been promised him a year ago only with a 1 year delay.

36 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Hope it is something silly that they can get over.  I fear the guy winning Serie A has demanded his favourite player.  Indeed he might have been promised him a year ago only with a 1 year delay.

Perhaps we could get Ronaldo in exchange seeing as Sarri isn't getting the best out of him 😂 

Actually haven't they got an ex Ajax centre half we could have? 

Edited by Mark Kelly

bert19   
1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Perhaps we could get Ronaldo in exchange seeing as Sarri isn't getting the best out of him 😂 

Actually haven't they got an ex Ajax centre half we could have? 

They do.  A Mino Raiola client that happens to be playing very well by all accounts..

3 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

I doubt it.  I think we lost Jorginho for reasons unexplained and he has rarely been able to pick Kovacic and Kante in the same team.
I'm sure he has said he wanted 2 attacking 8s - but managers usually claim decisions forced upon them are decisions made by them.  And Frank is more media savvy than most.

You may well be right however I would say Barkley is playing higher up the pitch than we have seen previously. This has resulted in him looking more threatening going forward however frequently getting caught out ahead of the ball. I prefer this version as at least he provides something rather than his usual, useless self but our midfield looks very weak especially without Kova, Kante and Jorginho. 

See in the image below when 2-0 up and having a comfortable period of possession. There is no need for both number 8's to be ahead of the ball and all the Palace midfield. Now perhaps this is just Barkley doing Barkley things but I'm fairly sure he has played a more withdrawn role previously. A couple seconds later the ball gets turned over and none of our 3 CM's are to be seen. Whatever the cause, the midfield was all over the place yesterday. 

Edited by Willian Dollar Baby

Diddymen   
8 minutes ago, Willian Dollar Baby said:

See in the image below when 2-0 up and having a comfortable period of possession. There is no need for both number 8's to be ahead of the ball and all the Palace midfield. Now perhaps this is just Barkley doing Barkley things but I'm fairly sure he has played a more withdrawn role previously. A couple seconds later the ball gets turned over and none of our 3 CM's are to be seen. Whatever the cause, the midfield was all over the place yesterday. 

I’ve been seeing this quite a lot since the restart