• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Sheffield United 3 Chelsea 0

Jasonb   

The Blades recently hammered Spurs 3-1 with Spurs not scoring until the 90th minute.

I haven't seen much of them yet know they work hard as a team.

Saying all this I expect we will win just don't ask me how. 

21 minutes ago, Diddymen said:

I’ve been seeing this quite a lot since the restart

Yep and I think we were extremely lucky that for whatever reason Watford chose to sit back and let us play for 75 minutes on Saturday. As soon as they started going for it near the end we looked petrified. Same happened last night when the first half hour was relatively comfortable until we were put under any kind of pressure.

Need mature team for this game similar to the line up against Chity. Only way to win this one is with a smash and grab approach of sucking united in and hitting them hard on the counter.

This is not a game for Gilmore

I wonder if this is a match where frank will match united with five at the back to counter their height advantage?

1 hour ago, Willian Dollar Baby said:

You may well be right however I would say Barkley is playing higher up the pitch than we have seen previously. This has resulted in him looking more threatening going forward however frequently getting caught out ahead of the ball. I prefer this version as at least he provides something rather than his usual, useless self but our midfield looks very weak especially without Kova, Kante and Jorginho. 

Yes I agree.  I think against weaker teams there is a good case for one No8 to push up closer to the striker and Barkley has done it at times.  
Of course the natural candidates are Mount, Ziyech, Harvetz or even Willian or Pullisic. 
RLC and Barkley can do it, but they tend to treat it as if it is a privileged position that doesn't require much effort when we don't have he ball.   Frankly Bats could do that as well.

The problem is that in the frequent absences of Jorginho Kante and Kovacic we often only have one DM/CM and sometimes that is Gilmour.  2 natural No8 players are forced to fill the 2nd and 3rd CM roles, and IMO only Mount is willing to drop deep enough to take much responsibility.

So yes a better version of Barkley but not really in the interests of the team.  It isn't as though the team is being rebalanced.  The wingers don't drop deeper, the FBs advance just as far forward as ever before.  Neither Gilmour nor Kante are inclined to sit (nor should they be with their energy).

Wolves just lost 1-0 to a last minute headed goal for Sheff United. 

We really need to win this one. 

Jasonb   
2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Yes I agree.  I think against weaker teams there is a good case for one No8 to push up closer to the striker and Barkley has done it at times.  
Of course the natural candidates are Mount, Ziyech, Harvetz or even Willian or Pullisic. 
RLC and Barkley can do it, but they tend to treat it as if it is a privileged position that doesn't require much effort when we don't have he ball.   Frankly Bats could do that as well.

The problem is that in the frequent absences of Jorginho Kante and Kovacic we often only have one DM/CM and sometimes that is Gilmour.  2 natural No8 players are forced to fill the 2nd and 3rd CM roles, and IMO only Mount is willing to drop deep enough to take much responsibility.

So yes a better version of Barkley but not really in the interests of the team.  It isn't as though the team is being rebalanced.  The wingers don't drop deeper, the FBs advance just as far forward as ever before.  Neither Gilmour nor Kante are inclined to sit (nor should they be with their energy).

TBF, Willian is one of the few that does bust a gut to get back and help out at times yet some of the others seem to be at the Teddy Bears picnic.

Jorgy does seem quite vocal in calling players back to help out though if Kante is fit I would expect him to be the deepest CM.

Edited by Jasonb

Ham   
3 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Wolves just lost 1-0 to a last minute headed goal for Sheff United. 

We really need to win this one. 

Yeah.  8 points clear of 6th. No way the City ban is getting completely overruled. 

😊

That Sheffield Utd/Wolves result is big. 4 points from the Sheffield United and Norwich games and we should be fine now with our goal difference being well ahead of Wolves.

Provided City's ban isn't overturned completely of course which most people don't think is remotely likely.

Edited by Bridge Soldier

bert19   

Great incentive to go and get a result on Saturday now. Come on Chelsea!

3 hours ago, Jasonb said:

Jorgy does seem quite vocal in calling players back to help out though if Kante is fit I would expect him to be the deepest CM.

The thing I find odd is that although Jorginho has been replaced by Kante or a teenager, we have continued to play the same pass the ball to and from the Deep CM that we did with Jorginho.  It is as though we are as much a Sarri-ball team as before.  Dropping Jorginho while the team got used to playing a different way - that would make some sense.  Maybe the plan is to replace Jorginho next year with a similar player at a similar level (if one exists - Frank get your boots on).