• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Sheffield United 3 Chelsea 0

48 minutes ago, chelboy said:

Sheff defended the crosses better. That was the main difference in the game. 

That much is obviously painful. We cannot defend aerial balls to save our lives be it crosses, free kicks or corner kicks. It’s so obvious that every opponent knows to chuck the ball in our box on a set piece from 50+ yards from our goal and give themselves a 50/50 chance to score. Long throw in’s as well.

If you are a manager and 35 games into a 38 game season you still haven’t figured out how to organize your boys to defend routine aerial balls - especially knowing you have the weakest most mentally fragile goalie in the league - it’s wreaks of incompetence for me. If Frank wasn’t the massive legend he is, I’d have been calling for his head after today’s performance (which sums up our season long defensive disorganization).

I give him the benefit of the doubt being a relatively rookie manager but to succeed and improve as a manager next season he needs an experienced assistant by his side. Having a youth team coach as your ‘gray haired’ assistant is akin to the blind leading the blind: both are rookies learning their trade on the job. 

Great post match press conference from Frank. You can see the disappointment in his face but he kept a lid on it.

I think the players will be really down after that defeat and maybe they would benefit more from not dwelling on it and moving on.

Ham   
18 minutes ago, MikelBlue said:

That much is obviously painful. We cannot defend aerial balls to save our lives be it crosses, free kicks or corner kicks. It’s so obvious that every opponent knows to chuck the ball in our box on a set piece from 50+ yards from our goal and give themselves a 50/50 chance to score. Long throw in’s as well.

If you are a manager and 35 games into a 38 game season you still haven’t figured out how to organize your boys to defend routine aerial balls - especially knowing you have the weakest most mentally fragile goalie in the league - it’s wreaks of incompetence for me. If Frank wasn’t the massive legend he is, I’d have been calling for his head after today’s performance (which sums up our season long defensive disorganization).

I give him the benefit of the doubt being a relatively rookie manager but to succeed and improve as a manager next season he needs an experienced assistant by his side. Having a youth team coach as your ‘gray haired’ assistant is akin to the blind leading the blind: both are rookies learning their trade on the job. 

Funny you should mention Jody.  I've noticed for a while that he tends to look absolutely helpless on the touchline when things aren't going well for us. 

I agree SFL deserves a better number 2.

Not much more to be said that hasn't already been covered here, but Tammy REALLY needs to learn to stay on his feet and stop the incessant flailing, slipping and sliding. It seems he can hardly pass the ball without falling over one way or another. I would understand if he was an 18 year old that had just undergone a growth spurt and was getting used to things but Tammy has had the same physique for years. There's simply no excuse for having such poor awareness and control of your own body as a professional athlete.

chelboy   
10 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Great post match press conference from Frank. You can see the disappointment in his face but he kept a lid on it.

I think the players will be really down after that defeat and maybe they would benefit more from not dwelling on it and moving on.

I think that was a few players last chance this season. My bet, Barkley, Christensen, Jorginho and Kepa won’t be anywhere near first 11 next season. Rudiger is only staying based on possibly 2 German internationals arriving. Wouldn’t make sense selling him if he’s telling them to come over lol.... 

The issue with this now is some players probably know their futures are done but we may still be forced to play them if options are limited. 

25 minutes ago, MikelBlue said:

He is an inexperienced manager so these type of tactical naive moments can be expected. I think he actually underestimated Sheff. You have to match them in formation. We need 3 CB considering how quickly they pack the box and how poor we have been in the air all season. I don’t know how fit Kova was today but I felt we needed more athleticism in that midfield. We got overrun on multiple occasions today. Some players did look tired which I can understand. I was surprised to see Christensen start but the person that replaced him also made a mistake so it’s kinda a lose-lose situation but I still think we are better defensively without Christensen. 

Holymoly   

Just watched Frank's post match interview on Chelsea TV and I have to say he had the air of a frustrated man. He didn't shun his responsibilities however he also alluded to the fact the defense isn't good enough, that they don't play the way they told in training. He wasn't throwing anyone under the bus but reading between the lines you get the feeling that a lot of the  players are going to be given some hard truths and that if they don't screw their heads on properly they will be off the squad come next season. He certainly wasn't ruling out the possibility of new defenders in place come September.

paulw66   

Have calmed down a bit now..... I can't work out if it's Frank's fault or the players .... We shipped 3 at West ham, so out went rudiger and Alonso..... Did it help? Not a bit. 

The way we are set up just leaves us so exposed. Sheffield United had 24% possession and scored 3 times. That's quite remarkable.

God knows there we go from here. Have to beat Norwich.... Maybe Leicester will drop points against Bournemouth or Spurs.... Wolves and Liverpool thereafter.... 

Diddymen   

The issue of defense is not JUST a personnel problem. We had these same players under Maurizio Sarri & we had the 3rd Best defensive record last season! So, this is also down to the coach. Lampard needs to figure out the systematic issues if he wants to compete at the top

1 minute ago, Diddymen said:

The issue of defense is not JUST a personnel problem. We had these same players under Maurizio Sarri & we had the 3rd Best defensive record last season! So, this is also down to the coach. Lampard needs to figure out the systematic issues if he wants to compete at the top

We had David Luiz last season.

People can say what they want about him but I loved him and thought he was class. This season shows how good he was.

• Haha 1

When Kurt Zouma is your best centre back you know your in trouble.

Not one of our defenders would get into any other side in the top 6 possibly even top half.

We all laughed at United spending £80m on Harry Maguire,  he would walk into this side, probably as captain and be by far and away our best defender.