• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Sheffield United 3 Chelsea 0

45 minutes ago, Rob B said:

If you go back through our defeats this season, generally speaking, the next game has been followed up with a win.

I’m hoping Frank gets stuck right into them so they come out all guns blazing against Norwich as I get the feeling Frank can be too nice at times. 

Given Leicester’s run-in, 6 points from our last 3 games will possibly be enough and whilst we may be limping over the line, every single one of us would have taken that at the start of the season having lost Hazard and Luiz and not been able to replace them. 

As fans, we need to be patient because this is Frank & Jody’s first season in the PL and they would have learned a lot.  It took Klopp four years and he was already an experienced, reputable manager. 

4 years and a lot of money. Liverpool’s transfer activity has been excellent which is why they are where they are.

Holymoly   
11 hours ago, chelboy said:

Perhaps his leadership skills were undervalued. 

Well he did captain Brazil in the WC semi against Germany.....oh wait...

Jasonb   

I can't help wondering if Frank prepared for Sheffield Utd, he should have done they have got a good home record.

With Jorgy coming in we are already compensating for the loss of Kante and then he compounds this by putting on Tammy, meaning our attacks falter as Tammy dies not have the necessary skill set and cannot read the game.

We have Norwich next, this now becomes a must win game.

I still think we will make 4th though this leaves a bad taste as it is now out of our hands.

Liverpool did very well out of that Coutinho deal and were able to spend more as a result. Pretty sure they still haven't spent nearly as much as us over the last say five years but the difference was that almost all their signings have been hits. The year we spent £250m on Rüdiger, Morata, Zappacosta, Drinkwater, Bakayoko, Emerson, Barkley and Giroud, they spent £150m on Salah, van Dijk, Robertson and Oxlade-Chamberlain (and brought Alexander-Arnold through that season too). Year after we spent £120m on Jorginho & Kepa. They spent £160m on Alisson, Keita, Shaqiri and Fabinho. 

Edited by Bridge Soldier

Holymoly   
11 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

The trouble with Frank is he talks a great game but whatever ideas he has about anything don't appear to be being listened to.

I wouldn't call that the trouble with Frank, more the trouble with the players?

Giroud moaned earlier in the season about "little Tammy" getting picked in front of him, maybe they don't rate Frank and Frank feels its his remit/duty to play the kids and in doing so has put the senior pros noses out of joint? 

I don't think there is any danger of them "not rating" Frank. I also don't agree with your theory on Willian either but if the "senior pros" just amount to him and Giroud then I don't see a problem. The rest of the experienced players, including the captain, seem well onside. I think it just comes down to the fact that there is little leadership on the pitch and most of the players are incapable of original thought.

So all in all I think we're done for and we need a serious rebuild of the defence, you could argue we need six players to improve anything. 

And that is just patent rubbish. I'll reiterate my comment about the Scum. The inclusion of just one player VVD did wonders. It's not a cartload of players we need, it's one or two leaders that we need. One player leading by word and example will allow the existing players to realise their potential.

7 hours ago, Blue Rod said:

Great players don't always make great coaches.  In fact they rarely do. Relationship with world class coaches has no manning whatsoever in terms of being a good manager. 

Quite right.  Highly promising teenagers who spend much of their career at St Johnstone are even less likely to become a world class coach.  

6 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

I definitely read and heard Frank say in interviews Frank that he's on pretty good terms with JT, Cech and Ashley. I believe Drogba as well. 

I just don't think it would be comfortable for 2 very accomplished former teammates, one the captain and the other the vice captain, both with huge egos, to work together like that in opposite roles. The assistant manager, IMO, has to have a less dominant personality.

JT certainly has a very dominant personality. Hell, half the time I get the feeling that Aston Villa would do better with him in charge! 

Sure I wasn't saying they didn't get on.  But I'm pretty sure I have heard one of them (Frank?) say they didn't spend nearly as much time together as many people presumed.
Yes I agree the JT & SFL together is not a great recipe.

16 minutes ago, Super Kenny Monkou said:

4 years and a lot of money. Liverpool’s transfer activity has been excellent which is why they are where they are.

And first he took apart Liverpools best team for15 years.

3 minutes ago, Bridge Soldier said:

Liverpool did very well out of that Coutinho deal and were able to spend more as a result.

That and stealing both the City scouting team and then they continued to hack the city scouting computing system.
In contrast when was the last decent purchase by City.

4 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

I still think we will make 4th though this leaves a bad taste as it is now out of our hands.

If we win all 3 games we will finish in the top 4 so still in our own hands.

2 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

The inclusion of just one player VVD did wonders. It's not a cartload of players we need, it's one or two leaders that we need. One player leading by word and example will allow the existing players to realise their potential.

Robertson joined 6 months earlier.  Allison joined 6 months after.  Terence Trent Darby emerged at the same time.  That is 4/5 the defence changing pretty much together, not just 1 player.

Blue Rod   
6 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Aren't you tired of blaming the manager year in year out like a broken record?

Seriously.. I remember you taking shots at JM, Hiddink when he came in, Conte, Sarri and now with SFL.

And its always the same thing too - that they aren't supposedly able to "change" our football.

I don't think any of these managers are magicians. You work with what you have and you keep them in the mix for as long as you realistically can.

Conte struggled for top 4. Sarri came in and snuck into the top 4. SFL comes in and we are struggling for top 4 and its because he is out of his depth???

Managers are paid to manage, just like players are paid to play. It's total nonsense to suggest that I always blame managers for everything. I point out where I think they are wrong, imo. I treat managers the way I treat players. That is why you will never get me into your club of sycophantic managers' little fanboys. 

We are systematically underperforming - from goalkeeping, defending, midfield, attacking. Every single player is playing poorly and by every passing match. You don't need to be a football genius to work out that the team is not being properly coached. We have played the same tactics all season. 

It's a bit lazy to come out with names of players we should sign every time the team plays poorly. I put my hands up; I don't remember a single name from that Sheffield team yesterday. 

Edited by Blue Rod

chelboy   
10 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Well he did captain Brazil in the WC semi against Germany.....oh wait...

Don’t get me wrong I don’t think he’s a great footballer but maybe him playing with either Chris or Rudi gave them a vocal defender at the back. We never saw a Rudiger and Christensen partnership last season. I think they only played one game together in the league and it was against Fulham. The amount of individual mistakes I have seen from both Rudi and Chris makes me wonder if they are natural CB’s. Luiz made some too but perhaps his mistakes took away the limelight from Rudi and Christensen. I have been saying for a while that Zouma is probably our best defender but I didn’t think the gap was as big as it is compared with Rudi and Chris.