• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Sheffield United 3 Chelsea 0

Holymoly   
2 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Robertson joined 6 months earlier.  Allison joined 6 months after.  Terence Trent Darby emerged at the same time.  That is 4/5 the defence changing pretty much together, not just 1 player.

Firstly Allison is a GK. Secondly Trent-Arnold was home grown like our emerging kids and Robertson was very much a punt that worked out. It was van Dyke that was the catalyst without a single doubt. The fact that we're underperforming as a team in certain games is not a reason to sell the whole lot and start again as some people are suggesting. Maybe a little consideration for this season's circumstances is in order. No signings for over a year and an over reliance on kids, yet we are still going to end up in the CL places (probably) compared with pre-season forecasts of mid table mediocrity (or worse). I think people need to grow up and start backing the players we've got rather than rubbishing them every time we don't win. Sometimes I despair of our so called supporters.

Juni   
32 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

With Jorgy coming in we are already compensating for the loss of Kante and then he compounds this by putting on Tammy, meaning our attacks falter as Tammy dies not have the necessary skill set and cannot read the game.

Wanna watch every pass played to him yesterday and tell me what chance he had?

https://streamable.com/3yxdmf

18 minutes ago, Juni said:

Fed on scraps. 

I'm convinced Willian prefers playing with Giroud. 

12 hours ago, Diddymen said:

The issue of defense is not JUST a personnel problem. We had these same players under Maurizio Sarri & we had the 3rd Best defensive record last season! So, this is also down to the coach. Lampard needs to figure out the systematic issues if he wants to compete at the top

Really

So lets compare apples for apples - At the beginning of Restart Lampards team had 9 fixture remaining in the PL lets compare the against Sarri's last 9 games?

Last 9 Games Under Sarri

L    W    W    W    L    D    D    W    D    - 15 pts

Last 9 Games Under Lampard

W    W    L    W    W    L    RF    RF    RF    -12 pts (RF = Remaining Fixture")

You also seem to have missed in your analysis that the bloke who was flogged for 100 million was the top scorer with 16 goals,

50 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Firstly Allison is a GK. Secondly Trent-Arnold was home grown like our emerging kids and Robertson was very much a punt that worked out. It was van Dyke that was the catalyst without a single doubt.

Sorry - not a bad argument, but certainly one which carries quite a lot of doubts.  I can't quite see how one of 4 punts made all the difference and 3 punts are irrelevent.

53 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

The fact that we're underperforming as a team in certain games is not a reason to sell the whole lot and start again as some people are suggesting.

Not my suggestion, but if you want to make Liverpool the great example you have to accept that Klopp has changed pretty much every member of the first team since he arrived.  It has been a dramatic overhaul, not just 1 player.

46 minutes ago, Juni said:

The service to both CFs was appalling yesterday,

Jasonb   
46 minutes ago, Juni said:

He does not move to receive the ball and the league knows to stop Tammy you just cut out the through ball to him as he cannot convert a cross.

12 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Not my suggestion, but if you want to make Liverpool the great example you have to accept that Klopp has changed pretty much every member of the first team since he arrived.

Quite, and that it took 4 years for him to win a trophy and 5 years for him to win the league. Oh, and that that time was tolerated because of lower starting expectations and not amazing loyalty or foresight.

Credit to Klopp, who is clearly a great manager, and also to Liverpool, who have been a fantastic team the last two years. But let's not pretend there are any amazing lessons for us or indeed anyone else in football to learn from them. They've signed loads of players in the last 5 years, some of them great successes but plenty of them average or forgettable, because that's how rebuilding a squad player by player works.

Also, whoever you quoted said something about underperforming as a team in certain games. No, I'd have thought we could all see that by now. We perform in more or less the same way every single game and all that differs is the result.

Edited by thevelourfog

Holymoly   
11 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Not my suggestion, but if you want to make Liverpool the great example you have to accept that Klopp has changed pretty much every member of the first team since he arrived.  It has been a dramatic overhaul, not just 1 player.

Yeah and he didn't do it in one season after having a one year transfer ban. 

Ham   
1 hour ago, Martin1905 said:

If we win all 3 games we will finish in the top 4 so still in our own hands.

A huge "IF" based upon yesterday.