• Current Donation Goals

👔
38 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

1. Only amongst a weird group of Sarri haters.
Anyone who had a sensible approach to what was a good seaon with largely crap players was really quite proud of last season.
I'm sure the players were too.

2. He really hasn't.  There are 4 players who had cracking seasons in the Championship and would have been bought and played for top half PL teams this season if they hadn't been ours already.
Actually the failure to recognise how James, Abraham and Mount (and to some extent Tomori) have broken through with their own performances is rather offensive to them.  I think much of this has been due to the repeated failure of RLC and a few others to break through when given chances before when fans but not managers thought they were ready.

3. Absolute bollox.  He has used 4 of the best half dozen Championship players from last year.  And only 2 of them regularly.  The only other Academy player he has used on more than a handful of times is Christensen (who was never strictly Academy anyway).  

4. I liked Sarri's.  I like Sarri's honesty even more because it came across as more genuine if much less polished.
it dos appear that at least 50% of the love-in for SFL is about a reason-less dislike for his predecessor.

1. Disagree. The mood around the club after the way in which Conte departed was never really recovered in Sarri's season, for various reasons and not down to a group of fans that didn't like Sarri or his methods and to label them weird is pretty low, I thought you were better than that Droy. People can have differing opinions to your own without being weird.

2. So are you telling me, you would have been happy if last summer, we had gone out and signed James, Tomori, Mount and Tammy (if they weren't already ours?)... I know that you wouldn't and most others wouldn't either. Obviously, to an extent using the youth players has been somewhat forced upon Frank, especially Tomori, however, James could easily have been loaned out and Zappacosta kept hold of, we could have stuck with Higuain for another season or Frank could have gone with Giroud as no.1 from day one with Bats as no.2. 

Whilst I agree credit has to be given to the players for the performances and earning the amount of game time they have this season, to try and claim Frank had not real involvement in that, is ridiculous.

3. Name a side in the top 6, maybe even top half that has played as many academy players as us this season?

4. Yawn.

Blue Rod   
8 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

1. Disagree. The mood around the club after the way in which Conte departed was never really recovered in Sarri's season, for various reasons and not down to a group of fans that didn't like Sarri or his methods and to label them weird is pretty low, I thought you were better than that Droy. People can have differing opinions to your own without being weird.

Not sure what makes you think Droy was better than that. You are making it sound as if words like "haters", " "weird" are a slip of the tongue in Droy's forum posts.  Here is someone who labels people just for expressing their opinion in a football forum. No one regularly uses such emotive and condescending language in this forum as Droy. And yet he is free to criticise the managers and players he does not like. No one that I can see calls him weird or hater.  

• Like 1

Holymoly   
10 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Firstly thank you Southampton......

<a lot of bloody sensible stuff>

....The moment is approaching to show us what you can do.  

Well said Mr Bobly. Unfortunately far too many "supporters" on these forums approach the game from a Football Manager point of view... one loss, the morale drops through the floor and the board sack the manager.

That should not be the way it is. A supporter will follow the team through thick and thin and when we're in 3rd place in the league, in the semi final of the cup and all done with a bunch of developing kids I'm sorry to have to tell you but these are NOT thin times. Quite the opposite. We could be on the verge of 5 or so years of tremendous success. Remember there can only be one winner of the league and your eventual position in the table is the true reflection of your season, not individual games in isolation.

paulw66   
14 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

3. Name a side in the top 6, maybe even top half that has played as many academy players as us this season?

So what? As much as we like seeing academy players break through, it shouldn't be regarded as some sort of "trophy" to laud over other teams.... "we didn't win anything but heh, we used x number of academy players" .......the converse was true when we were hoovering up trophies, other teams fans' would say stuff like, "your youth players have no chance of getting of game"..........no, our first team was too strong, and mind out the way whilst I polish the Premiership and FA cup. 

I also don't buy into this notion that we been sending out teams laden with youth players. Abraham, Mount and to a lesser extent Tomori and James have played a significant part in the league. We also added Pulisic and Zouma from a squad that lost just 2 important players in Luiz and Hazard. The academy players replaced Higuain (not hard), Zappacosta (ditto) and Cahill (who didn't play last year anyway).

The real test is next year when the excuses dry up. My biggest worry is our complete lack of defensive organisation, and I am not sure that gets fixed by replacing players. If it did, then there'd be little need for a coach at all, just a bloke to pick the team. What I do know is that Frank is clearly a bright bloke and has been part of several teams that know how to win things. He needs to find a way to translate that into a team structure, and with more players that he has chosen to play his way. 

paulw66   
6 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Well said Mr Bobly. Unfortunately far too many "supporters" on these forums approach the game from a Football Manager point of view... one loss, the morale drops through the floor and the board sack the manager.

That should not be the way it is. A supporter will follow the team through thick and thin and when we're in 3rd place in the league, in the semi final of the cup and all done with a bunch of developing kids I'm sorry to have to tell you but these are NOT thin times. Quite the opposite. We could be on the verge of 5 or so years of tremendous success. Remember there can only be one winner of the league and your eventual position in the table is the true reflection of your season, not individual games in isolation.

Hold on...........where were these statements last season? When the "supporters" were singing f8ck Sarriball at Cardiff (for one)? 

Sarri was taking pelters, and he finished 3rd, won the EL and nearly won the LC. (yes, yes he had Hazard and there was no transfer ban)

Not turning this into Sarri v SFL, but it seems it's not ok to criticise SFL, where it was with Sarri. The double standards, I find incredible.  

20 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

So what? As much as we like seeing academy players break through, it shouldn't be regarded as some sort of "trophy" to laud over other teams.... "we didn't win anything but heh, we used x number of academy players" .......the converse was true when we were hoovering up trophies, other teams fans' would say stuff like, "your youth players have no chance of getting of game"..........no, our first team was too strong, and mind out the way whilst I polish the Premiership and FA cup. 

I also don't buy into this notion that we been sending out teams laden with youth players. Abraham, Mount and to a lesser extent Tomori and James have played a significant part in the league. We also added Pulisic and Zouma from a squad that lost just 2 important players in Luiz and Hazard. The academy players replaced Higuain (not hard), Zappacosta (ditto) and Cahill (who didn't play last year anyway).

The real test is next year when the excuses dry up. My biggest worry is our complete lack of defensive organisation, and I am not sure that gets fixed by replacing players. If it did, then there'd be little need for a coach at all, just a bloke to pick the team. What I do know is that Frank is clearly a bright bloke and has been part of several teams that know how to win things. He needs to find a way to translate that into a team structure, and with more players that he has chosen to play his way. 

My point was more around the fact that Droy was claiming we hadn't used many academy players, so I was suggesting he compare our numbers vs the other teams around us and he would then see that actually, yes we had.

paulw66   
Just now, My Blood Is Blue said:

My point was more around the fact that Droy was claiming we hadn't used many academy players, so I was suggesting he compare our numbers vs the other teams around us and he would then see that actually, yes we had.

gotcha.

We are making it hard for ourselves but with 3 games to play, it will look ok with a win tonight. We are always up for Liverpool and Wolves are sadly out of the race now but safe for Europe so may relax a bit.

Us

Chelsea v Norwich

Liverpool v Chelsea

Chelsea v Wolves

Leicester

Leicester v Sheff Utd

Spurs v Leicester

Leicester v Man Utd

Utd 

Palace v Utd

Utd v WHU

Leicester v Man Utd

That last game at Leicester could be a cracker, if Leicester can stop their decline and Utd can continue their luck, could be winner takes all and certainly one or both teams will lose points

Edited by exiledblue

2 minutes ago, exiledblue said:

We are making it hard for ourselves but with 3 games to play, it will look ok with a win tonight. We are always up for Liverpool and Wolves are sadly out of the race now but safe for Europe so may relax a bit.

Us

Chelsea v Norwich

Liverpool v Chelsea

Chelsea v Wolves

Leicester

Leicester v Sheff Utd

Spurs v Leicester

Leicester v Man Utd

Utd 

Palace v Utd

Utd v WHU

Leicester v Man Utd

That last game at Leicester could be a cracker, if Leicester can stop their decline and Utd can continue their luck, could be winner takes all and certainly one or both teams will lose points

its between ourselves and Leicester for the 4th spot. Woy and his palace side and Moyes unhappy Hammers will rollover for Olle.

Can you imagine the side Olle would put out against Leicester if they have qualified for the CL and are in the FA cup final.

2 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Weird was being kind.  If people can legitimately claim they are justified in saying what has been said of Sarri, then I think I am legitimately justified in calling them dickheads.
But just for clarification, the issues with Conte as a person disappeared when he went, and Sarri contributed in resolving them.  The issues with the squad quality and lack of proper first team players take longer.

Man U.
Maybe not as many players (since Anjorin and some other guy and Lamptey were just for show) but I'm pretty sure they have had more Academy starts.

2. So are you telling me, you would have been happy if last summer, we had gone out and signed James, Tomori, Mount and Tammy (if they weren't already ours?)... I know that you wouldn't and most others wouldn't either. 

I would have been hugely delighted had we bought Abraham and Mount last summer.  So would any manager.  Just look at the wage figures being bounded about for Tammy's contract renewal.  

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Quite - and some of us are getting very excited about new acquisitions that will effectively squeeze the three regular starters - Tammy, Mount and Christensen - onto the margins, and squeeze the marginals (RLC, CHO, Tomori) possibly out of the club.

2 hours ago, Blue Rod said:

Not sure what makes you think Droy was better than that. You are making it sound as if words like "haters", " "weird" are a slip of the tongue in Droy's forum posts.  Here is someone who labels people just for expressing their opinion in a football forum. No one regularly uses such emotive and condescending language in this forum as Droy. And yet he is free to criticise the managers and players he does not like. No one that I can see calls him weird or hater.  

There is a guy called Blue Rod who comes close.  Then there is the guy who wrote the post just before this.
I'm a neither criticizing or justifying here, just pointing out that this is more common than you pretend.