• Current Donation Goals

Diddymen   
1 hour ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

its between ourselves and Leicester for the 4th spot. Woy and his palace side and Moyes unhappy Hammers will rollover for Olle.

Can you imagine the side Olle would put out against Leicester if they have qualified for the CL and are in the FA cup final.

I think Moyes will be up for playing against Man Utd - considering how he was sacked. point to prove

paulw66   
1 hour ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

its between ourselves and Leicester for the 4th spot. Woy and his palace side and Moyes unhappy Hammers will rollover for Olle.

Can you imagine the side Olle would put out against Leicester if they have qualified for the CL and are in the FA cup final.

For United to have already qualified before the last game of the season, it means that they will be more than 3 points clear of Leicester by then or 3 or more points clear of us. By definition, as they are currently level with Leicester, you are saying United would need to gain at least 4 points (Leicester have a marginally better GD)  on Leicester or Chelsea (point ahead) in the next two games.

If that happens to Leicester, then Leicester are going to have a max 61 points going into that last game, and therefore 64 max at the end of the season. We'd need 65 therefore to gurantee being above Leicester, irrespective of what happens there. 

Alternatively, for United to be 3 points clear of us by then (and therefore uncatchable by us due to goal difference) that means they would need to gain 4 on us over the next two games, something we can prevent by winning tonight. And to be quite honest, if we fail tonight, we deserve everything we get (or don't get)

In summary, it is difficult to picture a scenario where United are "on the beach" going into that game.   

Edited by paulw66

Diddymen   
6 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

I think Palace may also spring a surprise against Utd.

agreed. Especially as Utd played only yesterday and play Palace on Thursday - so only two days for prep.

****, were really clutching at straws here. This is only relevant if we beat Norwich tonight 

paulw66   
31 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

For United to have already qualified before the last game of the season, it means that they will be more than 3 points clear of Leicester by then or 3 or more points clear of us. By definition, as they are currently level with Leicester, you are saying United would need to gain at least 4 points (Leicester have a marginally better GD)  on Leicester or Chelsea (point ahead) in the next two games.

If that happens to Leicester, then Leicester are going to have a max 61 points going into that last game, and therefore 64 max at the end of the season. We'd need 65 therefore to gurantee being above Leicester, irrespective of what happens there. 

Alternatively, for United to be 3 points clear of us by then (and therefore uncatchable by us due to goal difference) that means they would need to gain 4 on us over the next two games, something we can prevent by winning tonight. And to be quite honest, if we fail tonight, we deserve everything we get (or don't get)

In summary, it is difficult to picture a scenario where United are "on the beach" going into that game.   

If United had held on last night, it would have been a real possibility that going into the last game, United had already qualified and them losing to Leicester could have been very damaging. 

37 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

I think Palace may also spring a surprise against Utd.

zaha might also think he has something to prove

30 minutes ago, Diddymen said:

agreed. Especially as Utd played only yesterday and play Palace on Thursday - so only two days for prep.

****, were really clutching at straws here. This is only relevant if we beat Norwich tonight 

Straws maybe but in theory they are in our hands. It shows what a strange season its been. Liverpool have won by default in some ways given even city have lost 9 games and the rest have also been so inconsistent. Given our results after the initial games its incredible we are in 3rd (11 losses) and have any chance of CL. So we have to grab it.

chelboy   

Spurs lost 13 last season and for the majority of the season they were in the top 3. You can still lose that amount and have a good chance of CL. 

7 minutes ago, chelboy said:

Spurs lost 13 last season and for the majority of the season they were in the top 3. You can still lose that amount and have a good chance of CL. 

Yes, I hadn't realised. Still think LFC have got a bit lucky with others results. Not saying they wouldnt have won it anyway but 2nd team having already lost 9 and 3rd team 11 is quite unusual. I am just so pleased they didn't go a season unbeaten.

13 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

I see he is already getting a bit of a kicking and a bit of "he should never have come here....bloody useless"  etc etc and I totally get those emotions when we play as badly as we did against SU.  

Honest question ... Where are you seeing this? On this forum? I don't read every thread, or every post in the threads I do read*, but my view is there's far less criticism of Frank than there would be of any other manager with these results, and what criticism there is has been very mild, certainly in comparison to how those who did not rate (or like) Sarri talked about him. 

I don't think Frank is even close to getting a kicking, be it on here, in any other Chelsea circles or (somewhat surprisingly) the media.

I'm not suggesting he should be getting a kicking; my assessment of our season and his performance and development would be nowhere near as positive as yours, but I'd not want the boot stuck in.

* There are a few comedy posters whose shtick is to be unrelenting negative about everyone and thing, so they don't count!

3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Hold on...........where were these statements last season? When the "supporters" were singing f8ck Sarriball at Cardiff (for one)? 

The idea that supporters aren't really supporters unless they're unrelentingly positive isn't worth engaging with. You can think we're sh*t, as long as you stick around to think that.