• Current Donation Goals

Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

No chance. 

Pulisic on the left, Willy on the right. 

I don't really understand your argument. You say Pulisic, Willian and Pedro would be playing, but Kalou walks into the side........where?

Centre half , obvs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GURJ SS   
1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

No chance. 

Pulisic on the left, Willy on the right. 

I don't really understand your argument. You say Pulisic, Willian and Pedro would be playing, but Kalou walks into the side........where?

Willian and Pedro are on borrowed time, the only reason Willian plays is because the rest aren't even close to being starters. My whole point is that by now Kalou would have been starting because he'd have been closer to the quality of Pulisic as a younger player than the rest, Kalou would easily make it on the field because Lamps only plays 1 of either Willian or Pedro; Kalou would get in ahead of RLC and Barkley for that attacking mid role all day long.

Our young players have potential, but in terms of actually being usable on a regular basis they're not even close yet; at least when Kalou played he'd pick the ball up and have a serious go and look to link up with teammates. At the moment we've either got bottlers who just pass the ball backwards or they put their head down and can't see their own players in space. After Willian and Pedro leave, Pulisic is the only player left with Mount a far 2nd that we can look to, Ziyech and Werner are going to be new to the side so can't say much of them; but RLC, Barkley and CHO have shown nothing to suggest they can be relied on at all, if anything they've shown this season that there's more negatives than positives to their game (harsh on CHO because he's been injured but when he gets the chance he hasn't played like someone who wants to break into the starting lineup).

I don't mind to be honest because I don't see us as title challengers for another two seasons at least, because if I did then we really haven't got time for the likes of Barkley and RLC to come good(truth is they never will).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
8 minutes ago, GURJ SS said:

Willian and Pedro are on borrowed time, the only reason Willian plays is because the rest aren't even close to being starters. My whole point is that by now Kalou would have been starting because he'd have been closer to the quality of Pulisic as a younger player than the rest, Kalou would easily make it on the field because Lamps only plays 1 of either Willian or Pedro; Kalou would get in ahead of RLC and Barkley for that attacking mid role all day long.

 

Not sure any of this makes sense. 

Kalou was never a midfielder either. Kalou would be competing for Pulisic or Willian's place, and he'd be on the bench. 

What RLC and Barkely have to do with this argument, I am lost.  

Edit - Kalou would be ahead of CHO at the moment, but that's about it. Kalou was lucky to be surrounded by such great players. he certainly wasn't one. 

Edited by paulw66

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know 99% of people on here love Frank, BUT Roman won't be scared to fire him, even if we get top 4.

Remember if we spend big (and it's looking like we will), if Roman thinks there's another coach out there, who he believes will do a better job, with the set of players we will have next season, he won't hesitate to dump Frank.

Its his club, and he hires and fires managers as has been shown before, Carlo won the double, Di Matteo CL, Jose 3 PL, etc....

And there's a coach out there who a lot of people rate who won't be unemployed for much longer, sentiment won't come in to it, step forward Mauricio Pochettino,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

What RLC and Barkely have to do with this argument, I am lost.  

last of the pecking order, only play when all else are injured?  I can see that.

For all the abuse I have laid at RLC and Barkley, it doesn't come close to what others have said about Kalou, let alone me.

6 minutes ago, Never happy said:

I know 99% of people on here love Frank, BUT Roman won't be scared to fire him, even if we get top 4.

Remember if we spend big (and it's looking like we will), if Roman thinks there's another coach out there, who he believes will do a better job, with the set of players we will have next season, he won't hesitate to dump Frank.

Its his club, and he hires and fires managers as has been shown before, Carlo won the double, Di Matteo CL, Jose 3 PL, etc....

And there's a coach out there who a lot of people rate who won't be unemployed for much longer, sentiment won't come in to it, step forward Mauricio Pochettino,

Yes - and getting in the top 4 makes it harder for Frank to keep his job, not easier, as the challenge next year will be greater.

But surely not Poch.  4 manager of the year awards sound very impressive for Spurs fans, but it won't cut much ice with RA.  Even the guy RA twice hired still only has 3 and he is on his 4th round.

Just as a reminder, the last club old favourite and re-build manager only lasted 8 months (before going to Spurs for just 6 months).  Frank has lasted 13 months already

Edited by Droy was my hero

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
10 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

 

Just as a reminder, the last club old favourite and re-build manager only lasted 8 months (before going to Spurs for just 6 months).  Frank has lasted 13 months already

I think AVB lasted 18 months at Spurs and from Wikipedia : Villas-Boas left the club with the highest percentage of league wins of any Tottenham manager in the club's Premier League era.[37]

Edited by paulw66

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I think AVB lasted 18 months at Spurs and from Wikipedia : Villas-Boas left the club with the highest percentage of league wins of any Tottenham manager in the club's Premier League era.[37]

Probably right - I guess I rushed the arithmetic again.  Still in 18 months at Spurs your expected to achieve as little as 8 weeks at Chelsea.
But I do think there are a lot of comparisons between AVB and SFL.  24 months after AVB arrived the horses in the stables were ready for Lester Piggott to ride them at speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Perhaps cruel, but my thoughts last night were that it is time to cash in; he is still well regarded generally and the narrative remains it is Chelsea to blame when a young player fails rather than the player themselves. Now might be the time he could still command a decent fee.

But no one is going to have any money, so ...

Frank seems to be willing to give him a shot after a good preseason and that's a reasonable approach IMO. The achilles tear is a very difficult injury for athletes to recuperate from and I feel that the club doctors would be guiding SFL on what to reasonably expect from Loftus-Cheek.

RLC looks like he is out of form rather than being physically below par IMO. I would persist with him and give him a pre-season as well. 

There are other players that can be moved on to raise funds - Michy, Emerson, maybe Alonso, Andreas Christensen/Zouma, Kante (29, dodgy calf and looks on the decline) or Jorginho seem to spring to mind...

Edited by Blue_In_Every_Way

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Blue Rod   
28 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

last of the pecking order, only play when all else are injured?  I can see that.

For all the abuse I have laid at RLC and Barkley, it doesn't come close to what others have said about Kalou, let alone me.

Yes - and getting in the top 4 makes it harder for Frank to keep his job, not easier, as the challenge next year will be greater.

But surely not Poch.  4 manager of the year awards sound very impressive for Spurs fans, but it won't cut much ice with RA.  Even the guy RA twice hired still only has 3 and he is on his 4th round.

Just as a reminder, the last club old favourite and re-build manager only lasted 8 months (before going to Spurs for just 6 months).  Frank has lasted 13 months already

There is always another way of looking at a coach's performance and on what basis a manager gets sacked. I find it quite funny though that people find it almost unacceptable to talk about where Frank may be failing and where he can improve, and yet have no qualms about speculating who replaces him. It's like you either love Frank and wish him to remain or you don't. The football is beyond discussion. 

 If you disregard the nonsense that RA fires managers at a whim, take a look at his record, then you open your mind to accepting that he or at least his advisers do understand football.

Managers are hired and fired based on what the owner thinks he might do going forward. And of course what he has done so far helps to make that judgement. No one employs a new manager because he has just won them trophies, unless the club and the ownership have been time-travelling. And no one waits for a club to completely go bankrupt before sacking a manager. 

For Frank, the question RA and his advisers would ask is, do we think, based on what he is doing so far, that he would do enough to get us where we want to be next seaaon? Does the fundamentals of his football add up? If FL can get the team doing the essentials of football, new signings would take us forward without any problem. If he can't, then we can sign the whole of Europe and he'd still fail. It's that simple. Sentiments are for the fans.  

Edited by Blue Rod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.