• Current Donation Goals

1 minute ago, NoblyBobly said:

I haven't even seen the Sheffield game ( family barbeque) and I'm not sure I need too...got the gist from the thread but obviously SU are a half decent side. Norwich are not. A convincing thrashing and we are back on track for 4th. Anything less and I'm going to chew my own arm off. Any suggestions for our two CBS?

Sheff Utd are an excellent side, well drilled and play as a unit, more than the sum of their parts so when they're up against a rabble who think they're World beaters it's no surprise. 

If we're playing four at the back against Norwich I think I'd go for 

Azpillicueta, Rudiger, Zouma, Alonso 

There's an obvious flaw with Alonso and his dawdling when coming back from the attack but I suppose you have to make concessions elsewhere as he's great going forward. 

Rudiger has been shocking recently but Baresi or Beckenbauer would look like idiots paired with Christensen. 

paulw66   
10 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

I haven't even seen the Sheffield game ( family barbeque) and I'm not sure I need too...got the gist from the thread but obviously SU are a half decent side. Norwich are not. A convincing thrashing and we are back on track for 4th. Anything less and I'm going to chew my own arm off. Any suggestions for our two CBS?

If we don't beat Norwich, we get what we deserve. Europey league ties against cr@p opponents on a Thursday night.

2 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Sheff Utd are an excellent side, well drilled and play as a unit, more than the sum of their parts so when they're up against a rabble who think they're World beaters it's no surprise. 

There's an obvious flaw with Alonso and his dawdling when coming back from the attack but I suppose you have to make concessions elsewhere as he's great going forward. 

Rudiger has been shocking recently but Baresi or Beckenbauer would look like idiots paired with Christensen. 

Yes, Sheffield United are everything we aren't, especially at the back. Everyone knows exactly what they are supposed to be doing. 

Would endorse that back 4........Alonso might pinch a goal too, and defending shouldn't be something we will be doing a lot of.  

On 7/13/2020 at 1:39 PM, Mark Kelly said:

How did Rudiger do generally. I saw the fec up for their third but apart from that how was the performance?

Edit: and did Jorginho offer any thing extra. He made a difference as a sub agAinst Palace but how was it over 90 mins? 

Edited by NoblyBobly

16 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

How did Rudiger do generally. I saw the fec up for their third but apart from that how was the performance?

Edit: and did Jorginho offer any thing extra. He made a difference as a sub agAinst Palace but how was it over 90 mins? 

I didn't think he was awful, once or twice he was out powered in the midfield but he wasnt alone re that. On the ball he was mostly what you expect from him and despite the scoreline we were looking better in the second half until their goal killed it (they may have had a 4th too) as a contest.

Overall our final ball was random, either it didn't beat the first defender or it flew over everyone or found their centre halves like a fly finds crap..definite off day as we only awoke at 0-2 but there was signs of recovery in the 2nd half. Had we nicked a goal at 0-2 it may have been interesting, but overall our movement up front didn't pose them any major issues, Giroud did more than Tammy but after his initial two or three chances he went quiet too. Tammy had a chance with a header which he really should have guided into the corner but put it straight at the keeper. We were poor but make no mistake Sheffield Utd are a well drilled decent side.

On 7/13/2020 at 2:26 PM, fillerywhereru said:

I didn't think he was awful, once or twice he was out powered in the midfield but he wasnt alone re that. On the ball he was mostly what you expect from him and despite the scoreline we were looking better in the second half until their goal killed it (they may have had a 4th too) as a contest.

Overall our final ball was random, either it didn't beat the first defender or it flew over everyone or found their centre halves like a fly finds crap..definite off day as we only awoke at 0-2 but there was signs of recovery in the 2nd half. Had we nicked a goal at 0-2 it may have been interesting, but overall our movement up front didn't pose them any major issues, Giroud did more than Tammy but after his initial two or three chances he went quiet too. Tammy had a chance with a header which he really should have guided into the corner but put it straight at the keeper. We were poor but make no mistake Sheffield Utd are a well drilled decent side.

Thanks for that. I wanted another good look at Ake in the Bournemouth game but he was injured early. I can't help thinking he's an upgrade on what he have. Zouma and Ake as a pair would be a solid partnership. 

Diddymen   

I agree with some of the some comments. It we don't beat Norwich - then we don't deserve to be in next seasons champions league:

image.png.0b01705877db4f89615301360d10748d.png

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

A Lester Piggott.  We have had 5 so far.  JM mk1, Scolari, CA, JM mk2 and Conte.
4 of them won the title - 3 of them in their first season (and JM Mk2 got 80+ points in his first season).
The other got thrown off by the horses when they realised he wasn't up to the task.

But not Klopp apparently - just extended his contract.

Must be nearing the time for Allegri to pop his head above the parapet?

Blue Rod   
3 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

If we can't beat a Norwich side , already relegated with no partisan crowd behind them influencing the officials and we're not completely out done by VAR or the PGMOL underhand tactics then as far as I am concerned Frank should offer his resignation and the entire first team squad should be sold (except for Pulisic as they're already expecting him to do everything for them like Hazard had to anyway.)

I'm really hoping that FL can sort out his issues with the team and just pull us over the finishing line in 4th place. I don't buy  the notion of our players being worse than those of West Ham (suddenly) not one bit. We are not Man City by player quality, but we are not worse than Sheffield Utd.

I have watched football long enough to know that what we are seeing now is more delicate and more nuanced than just our players suddenly undergoing group lobectomy. I can see when players are almost deliberately overhitting or underhitting passes. I saw some of it with the senior players at the start, and it's coming back. Call me conspiracy theorist, I don't mind.

We should finish 4th. But FL would be gone by end of next season regardless. He was never up to the job. 

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Back 5 for me for the remaining game to try and stop the flow of conceding goals

Azpillicueta, Rudiger, Christensen Zouma, Alonso

to utilize Alonso attacking prowess and height with Dave to support William on the right

paulw66   
6 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

I'm really hoping that FL can sort out his issues with the team and just pull us over the finishing line in 4th place. I don't buy  the notion of our players being worse than those of West Ham (suddenly) not one bit. We are not Man City by player quality, but we are not worse than Sheffield Utd.

I have watched football long enough to know that what we are seeing now is more delicate and more nuanced than just our players suddenly undergoing group lobectomy. I can see when players are almost deliberately overhitting or underhitting passes. I saw some of it with the senior players at the start, and it's coming back. Call me conspiracy theorist, I don't mind.

We should finish 4th. But FL would be gone by end of next season regardless. He was never up to the job. 

you're suggesting our players are trying to lose on purpose?