• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Official: Chelsea Sign Timo Werner

paulw66   
52 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Unquestionably a striker. I've seen him a lot and can hardly remember him ever playing out wide, even though some think he's come to play on the left 

According to transfer market he has:

Played 23 out of 29 games for Germany as a striker.

Played 143 games as a striker, 4 as a Second striker and 11 out wide for Leipzig. 

He has 95 goals and 40 assists for Leipzig, and 11 & 2 for Germany, the man is a goal scoring machine that plays straight down the middle the vast majority of the time.

I made the classic error of watching a YT video of all of his goals this season for Leipzig - I got very excited. 

31 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I made the classic error of watching a YT video of all of his goals this season for Leipzig - I got very excited. 

Me too, super quick 

paulw66   
1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Me too, super quick 

He's super quick, or you got excited super quick?

1 minute ago, paulw66 said:

Probably both!

31 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

He's super quick. 

3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

And rightly so mate, he's class.

I can honestly say if you asked me what one striker I could have signed this summer it would have been him, partly because of his age compared to someone like Lewandowski but I can't think of many that are better than him, certainly not at his age.

If we sign Havertz, who again I have seen loads of and trust me he is extra special, a front line of Pulisic, Havertz, Ziyech, Werner is potentially up there with the very, very best.

32 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

If we sign Havertz, who again I have seen loads of and trust me he is extra special, a front line of Pulisic, Havertz, Ziyech, Werner is potentially up there with the very, very best.

Could you tell me a little more about Havertz? What are his main strengths? I've only watched his youtube clips and though he does have talent he doesn't strike me as 80million-pounds 'special'. Clearly Frank sees something in him though because that kind of money could buy us some top class players in positions which we haven't already strengthened.

6 minutes ago, Tammy's right foot said:

Could you tell me a little more about Havertz? What are his main strengths? I've only watched his youtube clips and though he does have talent he doesn't strike me as 80million-pounds 'special'. Clearly Frank sees something in him though because that kind of money could buy us some top class players in positions which we haven't already strengthened.

Everything about him mate. He has amazing technique, is quick, skillful, scores goals, has a wonderful eye for a pass and can play pretty much anywhere. He seems to always be in the right place, one of those players that seems to just understand the game better than his opponent and just knows what to do when he gets the ball, like he sees what should happen long before he receives it. It's like he's a step ahead of the everyone else,  a bit like a master chess player.

he's a very clever, very technical player, with pace and size, so a bit of a freak, reads the game incredibly well and is just 21 so only going to get better.

he's the most complete player I have seen in a long time and under normal circumstances I dont think we would have a hope of signing him.  

We need to strengthen in other positions, no doubt, but you just dont turn down the opportunity to sign someone like him if it presents himself.

I'll make a bold claim right now and will hold my hands up if I'm wrong but I think he will be the best player in the premier league if he comes.

I'm a little iffy on if its the right time to buy Havertz. Leverkusen are clearly gonna dig their heels in and at the moment he's simply not worth 80mp. The risk of the investment is very very high IMO. I caught the last 2 Europa Lge games and I can't say he looks quite as refined as Hazard, for instance, did at Lille before he came to Chelsea. 

If its crunch time, who do we need more? Rice or Havertz? A LB or Havertz? A goalkeeper or Havertz? A CB or Havertz? There are just too many areas where we can do better work IMO.

Having watched Havertz these last couple games, I would leave him at Bayer another year. Yes, the price might increase but thats still less risk IMO than blowing 80 million pounds on the guy and he never meets his potential. Look at Mario Gotze or Mesut Ozil. At Havertz's age, I personally felt that Gotze looked the better player.

I would just feel better if instead of Havertz I saw the club purchase a GK, LB, Declan Rice and a CB.

47 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

I would just feel better if instead of Havertz I saw the club purchase a GK, LB, Declan Rice and a CB.

Why does it have to be 'instead of'? Maybe we'll see all of those, or most of them. From what I've read, Roman appears to be in the mood, so why not?