• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Official: Chelsea Sign Timo Werner

43 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Why does it have to be 'instead of'? Maybe we'll see all of those, or most of them. From what I've read, Roman appears to be in the mood, so why not?

I don't think Roman's going to just throw away years of being cautious to go on a splurge during a pandemic year tbh.

We would all like to hope that he would but realistically he held back on transfers in January when he could have made them because he is still searching for value in the transfer market. 

If we look at the guys he has purchased thus far, its more along the lines of players who are ready to make a real impact - Werner and Ziyech.

Would an inconsistent 21 year old (admittedly a talented one) convince Roman to spend 80 odd million on him? Besides Kepa, when has Roman ever done that? 

36 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Would an inconsistent 21 year old (admittedly a talented one) convince Roman to spend 80 odd million on him?

Well, I don't think that he's the one doing the convincing. But that aside, I'm sure that the club (Marina) is offering less than 80 mill. My point is simply that buying him (if indeed we do) doesn't change the dynamic of the other players we've been linked to. Roman is either in the game for those players, or he isn't. We'll see.

kratos   

Rather have an inconsistent 21 year old with talent than an inconsistent 27 year old in Ross Barkley.

6 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

I'm a little iffy on if its the right time to buy Havertz. Leverkusen are clearly gonna dig their heels in and at the moment he's simply not worth 80mp. The risk of the investment is very very high IMO. I caught the last 2 Europa Lge games and I can't say he looks quite as refined as Hazard, for instance, did at Lille before he came to Chelsea. 

If its crunch time, who do we need more? Rice or Havertz? A LB or Havertz? A goalkeeper or Havertz? A CB or Havertz? There are just too many areas where we can do better work IMO.

Having watched Havertz these last couple games, I would leave him at Bayer another year. Yes, the price might increase but thats still less risk IMO than blowing 80 million pounds on the guy and he never meets his potential. Look at Mario Gotze or Mesut Ozil. At Havertz's age, I personally felt that Gotze looked the better player.

I would just feel better if instead of Havertz I saw the club purchase a GK, LB, Declan Rice and a CB.

Not being funny but how much have you watched him? I hope your not judging him on 2 games during this strange period?

I've watched  him a lot and can honestly say he's every bit a £80m player already. In a year or two he will end up going for a huge amount of money to one of Europes elite.

4 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

I don't think Roman's going to just throw away years of being cautious to go on a splurge during a pandemic year tbh.

We would all like to hope that he would but realistically he held back on transfers in January when he could have made them because he is still searching for value in the transfer market. 

If we look at the guys he has purchased thus far, its more along the lines of players who are ready to make a real impact - Werner and Ziyech.

Would an inconsistent 21 year old (admittedly a talented one) convince Roman to spend 80 odd million on him? Besides Kepa, when has Roman ever done that? 

Should have read it all before I replied. 

You clearly haven't watched much of him, he's certainly not inconsistent, pretty much the best player on the pitch most times he plays.

paulw66   
6 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

I'm a little iffy on if its the right time to buy Havertz. Leverkusen are clearly gonna dig their heels in and at the moment he's simply not worth 80mp. The risk of the investment is very very high IMO. I caught the last 2 Europa Lge games and I can't say he looks quite as refined as Hazard, for instance, did at Lille before he came to Chelsea. 

If its crunch time, who do we need more? Rice or Havertz? A LB or Havertz? A goalkeeper or Havertz? A CB or Havertz? There are just too many areas where we can do better work IMO.

Having watched Havertz these last couple games, I would leave him at Bayer another year. Yes, the price might increase but thats still less risk IMO than blowing 80 million pounds on the guy and he never meets his potential. Look at Mario Gotze or Mesut Ozil. At Havertz's age, I personally felt that Gotze looked the better player.

I would just feel better if instead of Havertz I saw the club purchase a GK, LB, Declan Rice and a CB.

Leave him at Leverkusen for a year and run the risk he joins Real Madrid in 12 months.

Not for me.

Ham   
2 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Leave him at Leverkusen for a year and run the risk he joins Real Madrid in 12 months.

Not for me.

Bayern Munich also reportedly asked him to wait another year until their finances replenished.

paulw66   
4 minutes ago, Ham said:

Bayern Munich also reportedly asked him to wait another year until their finances replenished.

yes, RM just an example, but BM perhaps the most real threat if we p*ss about 

https://chelseaecho.com/2020/07/30/havertz-signing-fills-the-void-left-by-the-current-chelsea-boss/ 

Edited by paulw66

chelboy   

I know some may not think we need Havertz but we badly do. His composure and vision are what I would say are his best qualities. He is close to being all round midfielder but still has some things to work on. The problem with leaving him to next season is that he would probably end up in Bayern. The price this year might not be perfect but we need a midfielder like him. 

Ziyech and Havertz would bring a much better passing ability especially in between the lines. Tammy and Werner will be relying on such passes especially Werner. If we don’t give him the type of passes he needs then we won’t get the best out of him. Ziyech is the one I am looking forward to seeing the most. In terms of set pieces, crosses, vision and long shots he would add such a new dimension to the team. 

1 hour ago, kratos said:

Rather have an inconsistent 21 year old with talent than an inconsistent 27 year old in Ross Barkley.

Since when has Barkley been accused of being inconsistent?

42 minutes ago, Ham said:

Pretty sure that they know as well as us,that next years finances will be tougher than this year.  This year the PL I gather is paying out the full "rewards" for participating in the Prem.  And most unused seasons ticket advance revenue is being rolled over into next year.  For next season we have no idea when seats can be sold (or how many) and by 2021 a lot of commercial deals will have expired over and need replacing with lower deals.  It would be a brave seller that waited a year - especially as Chlesea will be offering 100% cash now whereas BM will be ofereing the standard 50% in 2021 and 50% in 2022.