• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Official: Chelsea Sign Timo Werner

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Leave him at Leverkusen for a year and run the risk he joins Real Madrid in 12 months.

Not for me.

This ...

42 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Pretty sure that they know as well as us,that next years finances will be tougher than this year.

... and this, both agreed. For me, there is no giving it a year with Havertz; this is a deal made possible (if it is indeed possible, the stories could be a load of nonsense tbf) but circumstances that exist here and now and are unlikely to be replicated any time soon. 

Not usually one to get carried away by the prospect of signing players from other leagues because I rarely watch them, but everything I have seen of Havertz suggests to me that we get him while we can. Under different economic circumstances, we'd probably not have much hope of competing with the clubs who would otherwise be looking at him. And his motivation to go should be high; he will struggle to get a contract in a year that matches what we can offer now.

Anyway, Timo Werner then ...

48 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Since when has Barkley been accused of being inconsistent?

Yeah strange one that, he's very consistent, consistently crap.

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

Since when has Barkley been accused of being inconsistent?

1 hour ago, Martin1905 said:

Yeah strange one that, he's very consistent, consistently crap.

I'd call him consistently underwhelming. Not crap per se, just not quite good enough. 

Ham   
2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Pretty sure that they know as well as us,that next years finances will be tougher than this year.  This year the PL I gather is paying out the full "rewards" for participating in the Prem.  And most unused seasons ticket advance revenue is being rolled over into next year.  For next season we have no idea when seats can be sold (or how many) and by 2021 a lot of commercial deals will have expired over and need replacing with lower deals.  It would be a brave seller that waited a year - especially as Chlesea will be offering 100% cash now whereas BM will be ofereing the standard 50% in 2021 and 50% in 2022.

Don't forget that they were already able to spend big on Sane. They used up this window's budget apparently. 

6 minutes ago, Ham said:

Don't forget that they were already able to spend big on Sane. They used up this window's budget apparently. 

Yeah - So if BM have just $40m this summer, it'll be no more next summer.
I guess I wasn't clear, but the "they" I as talking about was Bayer Leverkusen who will probably be needing some transfer income to survive the next couple of years (like most clubs).  And Harvetz's contract expires in 2022.  There is clearly some pressure on them to cash in this year if they get a decent bid.

If we are going a quiet period for Harvetz rumours, then that is probably a good thing, our club doesn't like the media reporting accurately.  BL only completed their season on Monday.

Ham   
2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Yeah - So if BM have just $40m this summer, it'll be no more next summer.

Who knows what they're budget will be?

I guess I wasn't clear, but the "they" I as talking about was Bayer Leverkusen who will probably be needing some transfer income to survive the next couple of years (like most clubs).  And Harvetz's contract expires in 2022.  There is clearly some pressure on them to cash in this year if they get a decent bid.

Noted.

If we are going a quiet period for Harvetz rumours, then that is probably a good thing, our club doesn't like the media reporting accurately.  BL only completed their season on Monday.

Fingers crossed

8 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

Should have read it all before I replied. 

You clearly haven't watched much of him, he's certainly not inconsistent, pretty much the best player on the pitch most times he plays.

Tbh most of the pundits as well had the same to say about him in terms of his inconsistency. Its easy to get carried away about him as he clearly has a lot to work with but this guy is no Haaland or even a Sancho IMO in terms of standing out every week. And lets not kid ourselves on that. He doesn't consistently set the field on fire. 

In fact, I think it is telling that we are the ones seriously in the frame for him. Now, maybe that's financial (like the case with RM, Barca, Bayern, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, etc), but you look at his stats (underwhelming), you listen to the Bundesliga pundits (they basically all talk about his potential and not so much about his actual work), you look at where Bayer finished, and then the picture starts to get a little clearer. 

Yes, we can sign him, but this can still go either way. Oscar looked a sure bet before he got here as well. 

Now, if we have the money and we can do all of our business and ALSO get him, then great. I am all for that scenario.

But can anyone seriously make the claim that this kid is what we desperately need heading into next year? In front of a left back like Chillwel? Or a great goalkeeper? Or a DM like Rice - or even a CB like Rice? Come on, you cannot be serious.

Teams basically run right through us. Kante looks like his legs are gone, Jorginho sorry to say has never panned out, Kova is a regular 7 out of 10 guy, Barkley has not progressed, Mount may be better further ahead, Alonso is convincing noone, Rudiger looks like the pitch is made of ice, Christensen has failed, Kepa has failed... and Havertz is where the money should go...?

I am curious to know how much of Bayer you look at though.

Because you talk about this kid like he is the second coming of Messi and I would say that it has been very difficult to find anyone else who praised him that much.

Sir   

I think price wise, though, it’s pretty superb, isn’t it? Only seen him on YouTube but he is a brilliant finisher, extremely quick, great age, and German! And as others have mentioned, a striker. Really hoping he plays down the middle and doesn’t get bundled on the damn wing all the time. He has great pace so hoping we will really be able to utilise this and play to HIS strengths, and not just in the counter attack.

3 hours ago, Ham said:

Who knows what they're budget will be?

Actually BM is easier to guess than some.  It is Germany so they won't be breaking any rules about social distancing.    Stadium revenues are usually pretty big.  And there are no external shareholders who might simply write-off 2 years of big losses (unlike us, or perhaps City or PSG).  And they have a large, static wage bill.

21 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Actually BM is easier to guess than some.  It is Germany so they won't be breaking any rules about social distancing.    Stadium revenues are usually pretty big.  And there are no external shareholders who might simply write-off 2 years of big losses (unlike us, or perhaps City or PSG).  And they have a large, static wage bill.

What if they have a £300m plus bank account just sitting there. 

I'm certain even you don't know how much they have in their savings! 😂