• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Official: Chelsea Sign Timo Werner

5 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

What if they have a £300m plus bank account just sitting there. 

I'm certain even you don't know how much they have in their savings! 😂 

I bet they don't.  
Not difficult to check either.  (They don't)

Ham   
29 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Actually BM is easier to guess than some.  It is Germany so they won't be breaking any rules about social distancing.    Stadium revenues are usually pretty big.  And there are no external shareholders who might simply write-off 2 years of big losses (unlike us, or perhaps City or PSG).  And they have a large, static wage bill.

Their tickets and season tickets have been historically cheap as chips.  There's scope to increase ticket costs, unlike here, regardless of recession. 

3 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Tbh most of the pundits as well had the same to say about him in terms of his inconsistency. Its easy to get carried away about him as he clearly has a lot to work with but this guy is no Haaland or even a Sancho IMO in terms of standing out every week. And lets not kid ourselves on that. He doesn't consistently set the field on fire. 

In fact, I think it is telling that we are the ones seriously in the frame for him. Now, maybe that's financial (like the case with RM, Barca, Bayern, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, etc), but you look at his stats (underwhelming), you listen to the Bundesliga pundits (they basically all talk about his potential and not so much about his actual work), you look at where Bayer finished, and then the picture starts to get a little clearer. 

I wonder what the Bundesliga pundits thought of CHO when BM allegedly bid (40m) last year ?

4 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Tbh most of the pundits as well had the same to say about him in terms of his inconsistency. Its easy to get carried away about him as he clearly has a lot to work with but this guy is no Haaland or even a Sancho IMO in terms of standing out every week. And lets not kid ourselves on that. He doesn't consistently set the field on fire. 

Youd have to show me where these pundits talk about his inconsistency, I've not heard many people mention it at all. And trust me he does stand out almost every week.

In fact, I think it is telling that we are the ones seriously in the frame for him. Now, maybe that's financial (like the case with RM, Barca, Bayern, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, etc), but you look at his stats (underwhelming), you listen to the Bundesliga pundits (they basically all talk about his potential and not so much about his actual work), you look at where Bayer finished, and then the picture starts to get a little clearer. 

It's very much financial, due to the current climate, I mean its ridiculously obvious. 

46 goals and 31 assists in 150 games for someone that has literally just turned 21 is underwhelming? Your very hard to please.

The pundits I hear absolutely rave about him, sure they are going to mention his potential, the boy has just turned 21 and is already seen as one of the best players in Germany. They talk about his potential, not as a negative or that he's not that good now but because he has the potential to be on of the best of his generation. 

Yes, we can sign him, but this can still go either way. Oscar looked a sure bet before he got here as well. 

Now, if we have the money and we can do all of our business and ALSO get him, then great. I am all for that scenario.

But can anyone seriously make the claim that this kid is what we desperately need heading into next year? In front of a left back like Chillwel? Or a great goalkeeper? Or a DM like Rice - or even a CB like Rice? Come on, you cannot be serious.

And maybe we get them all, best to wait and see maybe?

I am curious to know how much of Bayer you look at though.

Lots. I watch lots and lots of Bundesliga as both my boys have a thing for it for some reason. I can only assume you dont judging by your comments.

I'd just like to point out that I was very keen on us signing Pulisic when an awful lot of people were not and had many a debate about how good he was and that's because I'd watched him. A lot

Because you talk about this kid like he is the second coming of Messi and I would say that it has been very difficult to find anyone else who praised him that much.

Well I never compared him to Messi, he's nothing like him but he seems to be pretty highly regarded by everyone except you. For example, Dietmar Hamann claims he's the best player in Germany. Rudi Voller claims he's Leverkusen's greatest ever player.

There are countless articles online about him being one of the best young players in the world, literally everyone is raving about him. Except you.

3 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

Youd have to show me where these pundits talk about his inconsistency, I've not heard many people mention it at all. And trust me he does stand out almost every week.

It's very much financial, due to the current climate, I mean its ridiculously obvious. 

46 goals and 31 assists in 150 games for someone that has literally just turned 21 is underwhelming? Your very hard to please.

The pundits I hear absolutely rave about him, sure they are going to mention his potential, the boy has just turned 21 and is already seen as one of the best players in Germany. They talk about his potential, not as a negative or that he's not that good now but because he has the potential to be on of the best of his generation. 

And maybe we get them all, best to wait and see maybe?

Lots. I watch lots and lots of Bundesliga as both my boys have a thing for it for some reason. I can only assume you dont judging by your comments.

I'd just like to point out that I was very keen on us signing Pulisic when an awful lot of people were not and had many a debate about how good he was and that's because I'd watched him. A lot

Well I never compared him to Messi, he's nothing like him but he seems to be pretty highly regarded by everyone except you. For example, Dietmar Hamann claims he's the best player in Germany. Rudi Voller claims he's Leverkusen's greatest ever player.

There are countless articles online about him being one of the best young players in the world, literally everyone is raving about him. Except you.

A generational talent - like Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, CR7, Messi.... We will see how that pans out. 

And that's pretty much the point. You act like its a sure investment when it is very much anyone's guess at the moment. 

If this kid is as consistent as you say he is, why make excuses for his performances in the 2 Europa League games? 

All I saw was a very talented kid, flashes of brilliance and moments where he could have done better.

I do watch a reasonable amount of the Bundesliga - specifically Dortmund and Bayern, and I will say that Havertz takes a long time on the ball. That may be an issue in the PL.

Regarding Pulisic, any idiot could see his talent and his pace and directness. Only a few couldn't.

Is Havertz the best player in Germany like Hamman says? Obviously not. Is he the best Bayer ever had? No. Not yet anyway. 

I will agree to disagree on this really. I have seen far too many players hailed as generational talents to be really convinced by any of them until it actually happens.

14 hours ago, Sir said:

I think price wise, though, it’s pretty superb, isn’t it? Only seen him on YouTube but he is a brilliant finisher, extremely quick, great age, and German! And as others have mentioned, a striker. Really hoping he plays down the middle and doesn’t get bundled on the damn wing all the time. He has great pace so hoping we will really be able to utilise this and play to HIS strengths, and not just in the counter attack.

I very much doubt that he's been bought to be "bundled on the damn wing all the time"  He will be our main striker.

If Havertz comes, it gives us him and Ziyech as the predominantly right sided wingers, with Pulisic and Hudson-Odoi for the left; Werner, Abraham and Giroud as the strikers and Mount as the attacking/creative midfielder in the 3 behind.

I'm guessing Michael Ballack watches quite a bit of Bayer Leverkusen and Chelsea, below are his opinions of him. Some from before we were linked, and after which includes his brief thoughts on Werner joining us

https://bulinews.com/news/5347/michael-Ballack-kai-havertz-not-yet-a-finished-product

https://www.football365.com/news/havertz-important-requirement-chelse-transfer-Ballack

https://metro.co.uk/2020/08/08/chelsea-boss-frank-Lampard-100-per-cent-behind-kai-havertz-transfer-move-says-michael-Ballack-13102913/

I've only personally seen him play once but every opinion I have read overt the last 18 months has been very positive

3 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

I very much doubt that he's been bought to be "bundled on the damn wing all the time"  He will be our main striker.

If Havertz comes, it gives us him and Ziyech as the predominantly right sided wingers, with Pulisic and Hudson-Odoi for the left; Werner, Abraham and Giroud as the strikers and Mount as the attacking/creative midfielder in the 3 behind.

I think people are a little in denial about Werner coming in as competition to Tammy, so placing him on the wing. I would see Havertz playing in the Mount role you described but able to play on the right, Mount being the same on the left.

1 hour ago, Lump Of Celery said:

I think people are a little in denial about Werner coming in as competition to Tammy, so placing him on the wing. I would see Havertz playing in the Mount role you described but able to play on the right, Mount being the same on the left.

Yes, I think some don't want to see Tammy's position being threatened, so push Werner out wide.

If we play 4-3-3 I'm guessing our strongest three at the top (if Havertz is signed) are Pulisic, Werner, Havertz with Hudon-Odoi, Abraham, Ziyech as the back ups. then Mount as the more attacking/creative member of the 3 behind.

In a 4-2-3-1 it's Werner up top, with Pulisic, Mount and Havertz.

I'm not saying they won't switch positions, but Havertz is better suited on the right than as a 10 and Mount is better suited to the 8/10 position than out on the left.

Sir   
On 13/08/2020 at 2:46 PM, Bob Singleton said:

Yes, I think some don't want to see Tammy's position being threatened, so push Werner out wide.

If we play 4-3-3 I'm guessing our strongest three at the top (if Havertz is signed) are Pulisic, Werner, Havertz with Hudon-Odoi, Abraham, Ziyech as the back ups. then Mount as the more attacking/creative member of the 3 behind.

In a 4-2-3-1 it's Werner up top, with Pulisic, Mount and Havertz.

I'm not saying they won't switch positions, but Havertz is better suited on the right than as a 10 and Mount is better suited to the 8/10 position than out on the left.

Ziyech coming in as back up? Formation and others aside, I’d like to think and assume he will be in the starting 11, and if not at the start, fairly quickly. I have doubts over Mount starting in the 11, unless he can offer a lot more in his consistency. He’s a good young player no doubt, but he got lucky to be starting and playing so much for us last season.