• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Arsenal 2 Chelsea 1

Blue Rod   
2 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

I'm still pretty pissed off at the refereeing in this game and what is worse is the Daily Mail are basically saying the VAR made the correct call.

Any idiot can see that the entire ball left the penalty area... that's as clear a foul as you would see. 

And Frank Lampard didn't even mention it. He didn't even complain about the Pedro foul and he made a joke about the Kovacic sending off too!

I mean I love the guy but to be a winner you have to be nasty sometimes. This team could really use a lot more nastiness about them. Cynical fouls, criticism of the refs post match.. cynical fouls alone can win you points.

Nobody can deny that Jorginho should have fouled Robertson and that Rudiger should have fouled Bellerin. Could have both been totally different outcomes. Xhaka basically rolls around and gets Kova booked twice and it secures the trophy for them!

Arteta has clearly learnt from Pep and the generally Barca way. Most Chelsea fans can remember Del Horno "tackling" Messi and Sanchez getting JT sent off at the Camp Nou all those years ago or even Busquets playacting to get Motta (?) sent off.

SFL has to be a nastier guy IMO. The team can definitely benefit from that mentality. City in particular are not averse to fouling to break up the opponents attack.

You've made very important points. I think there's a certain mentality amongst some of our fans that we've done enough this season and that things will definitely be different next. The manager seems to have bought into it too. So it's:  hey,  calm down,  we're fine. 

But will things suddenly become different next season? I'm not so sure. The mentality to do whatever is legally permissible to secure a win, is not something you pick up during a pre-season trip. It can't be bought by signing a few new players.

I'm just not convinced that our team shows enough "steeliness" and fighting spirit for the skills and experience we have in the squad. We too often look like we are in a pre-season friendly - no passion, no fight. You rarely hear a senior player shooting instructions to a younger one, or getting frustrated when things are not going according to plan

There was a moment after the first goal, when Mount could have played in Giroud for a clean chance and a possible 2-0 scoreline. He decided to try a curler. Okay, its about confidence and responsibility. But a young player ignoring a senior striker in a better position, who has run his socks off to get there,  is not a good sign for team discipline and authority.

And that was our last real chance of the match. Who knows what might have been if Mount had picked out Giroud. Matches like these can be won and lost by a single decision of a single player. 

2 hours ago, chara said:

Hey NB...you just got up?...it's nearly 11-00pm here...did you really think anyone let alone bbc would actually ask for a balanced view of what might not suit the anti Chelsea agenda..like maybe we are paranoid but that doesn't mean they aren't out to get us!!

Well Chara I'm living the dream right now. I'm house sitting in France for my sister whose away. Fab place next to a stunning river with outside heated pool... and its hot hot hot!!...its tough but sometimes you gotta help your family out. Only fly in ointment was the match which I had to watch alongside a gooner. Tbh he was decent and didn't rub it in too much. That cup saved their season...for us it would have been the cherry on the cake. 

Anyway time to cycle to the shops for breakfast then back to the pool to reflect on next season!

2 hours ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Ah the Pulisic chance, so much had happened thereafter I had forgotten. Straight after the restart wasn't it. 

More than the ref, that decided everything. I think he'd have scored. They would have caved and that would be that. Instead he pulls and our main attacking threat up gets taken off. Dave as well. Two torn hamstrings , one dislocated shoulder, a sending off and a cheating ref. It really wasn't our day.

Edited by NoblyBobly
  • Sad 1

chelboy   
4 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

I'm still pretty pissed off at the refereeing in this game and what is worse is the Daily Mail are basically saying the VAR made the correct call.

Any idiot can see that the entire ball left the penalty area... that's as clear a foul as you would see. 

And Frank Lampard didn't even mention it. He didn't even complain about the Pedro foul and he made a joke about the Kovacic sending off too!

I mean I love the guy but to be a winner you have to be nasty sometimes. This team could really use a lot more nastiness about them. Cynical fouls, criticism of the refs post match.. cynical fouls alone can win you points.

Nobody can deny that Jorginho should have fouled Robertson and that Rudiger should have fouled Bellerin. Could have both been totally different outcomes. Xhaka basically rolls around and gets Kova booked twice and it secures the trophy for them!

Arteta has clearly learnt from Pep and the generally Barca way. Most Chelsea fans can remember Del Horno "tackling" Messi and Sanchez getting JT sent off at the Camp Nou all those years ago or even Busquets playacting to get Motta (?) sent off.

SFL has to be a nastier guy IMO. The team can definitely benefit from that mentality. City in particular are not averse to fouling to break up the opponents attack.

The whole team is poor at knowing when to foul and not foul. We seem to have this problem of fouling in dangerous areas when we are sitting deep with numbers behind the ball and don’t need to commit any fouls. This gives away free kicks in good positions. We saw at least 2 yesterday. This shows naive moments from certain players. 

Then when we are caught open we tend to give less free kicks away which is rather dumb and teams run through the softest middle I have seen since Arsenal’s post invincible team. Midfield is all about balance and we have had one of the most unbalanced midfields I can remember this season. 

I watched the 2nd goal again and how easily that goal could have been avoided. James is caught way high up the pitch but we technically still have 4 defenders behind the ball. Our DM’s literally move at the slowest speed while all the danger unfolds in front of them. Not one of them smells danger or the need to help our defenders out until it’s too late. This is where Kante is completely different. He would have sensed that and would have been inside the box acting as a support defender the moment Christensen commits himself. In the defensive transitions phase Kova and Jorg are basically non existent. Lack of protection for the CB’s has been the biggest problem  all season. Followed by individual mistakes. Lamps knows this league well and how important balance is. If we are still seeing unbalanced midfield combinations like this next season then he only has himself to blame. Amapadu’s season was the biggest loss. He would have brought far more balance to this midfield as well as giving us many things we lack such as physical presence, good engines and height.

SS_89   

Putting taylors shocking refereeing aside we still played incredibly poor and outside of pulisic honestly was there anyone playing well? 

Kante has been a massive miss in midfield. 

Christensen - Zouma - Keeper

Zouma - Christensen - Keeper

I scream at the TV when Chistensen and Zouma play together. They spend the whole game moving and passing backwards.

Rudiger is becoming a liability along the back line. He was the main culprit for there second goal. 

1 hour ago, exiledblue said:

Christensen - Zouma - Keeper

Zouma - Christensen - Keeper

I scream at the TV when Chistensen and Zouma play together. They spend the whole game moving and passing backwards.

On 27.7.2020 at 10:20 AM, Ibn Battuta said:

It would be harsh on him, but I would bench Giroud for Abraham. That Arsenal defense has a mistake in them, so a more fluid attack is the way to go. We need to exploit their aggressiveness in defense with good movement and interchanging of positions upfront. I would go for this:

Azpi Zouma Rudiger Alonso

Jorginho Kante

Willian Mount Pulisic

Abraham

I don't like Kovacic against teams like Arsenal, where playmakers are more valuable than ball carriers. Jorginho will be a weakness defensively against their rapid attacks, so the tactic would need to change if Kante isn't 100% fit, which I doubt he is. However, the upside of playing Jorginho is big in this match. The cool head and passing of Jorginho will be key in a pressure cooker final. 

I said before the game that Abraham would have been a better option than Giroud. It would have been a gutsy call considering his form but sadly Lampard didn’t go with that option. 

Made it easy for Arsenal. 1-0 up and we play with such a high back line? Just incredibly naive and unnecessary risk taking. Just didn’t take advantage of our lead.

Jasonb   

Giroud did well,  in the first he was instrumental in our goal and was in space ready to be slid in for our second when Mount decided to go for glory. 

He might have switched earlier yet Abraham may not have been any better.

Fine margins, injuries and a ref not giving us much.

I expect Mike Riley had sleepless nights last night over Anthony Taylors appalling performance yesterday. I expect he will be on the phone to the club first thing Monday to apologise. 

Whilst he's there he can throw in one for the 2017 final and the United game where Batshuyai had his nut sack rearranged by Slabhead.