• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Arsenal 2 Chelsea 1

Oh and next time we are denied a penalty and the ball is brought back outside the area for a free kick because "that's where the foul started" the PGMOL can do one. 

paulw66   
19 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

I heard that it would be a disappointment to any ref who got this behind doors event as his single FA cup.  Normally friends and family get to sit in luxury seats and it is a celebration of the ref too.

Not that I agree - at least give it to some lesser known ref who is going to retire on age this year anyway.

19 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I cannot imagine we will encounter another Anthony Taylor Cup final seeing as, breaking precedent this was his second. (I wonder why?) 

Mind you a fish rots from the top down and Mavis is as rotten as the day is long so I'm sure they'll do us again. 

I completely agree that for a referee to get his one cup final the year it is behind closed doors is somewhat dissapointing for that person.......BUT.......

1. Why give it to the one who refereed Chelsea v Arsenal in 2017, who incorrectly awarded them a goal and sent a Chelsea player off. There must be plenty of other referees who could have had their second go, but who wasn't Anthony Taylor.

2. Or you give it to a new person this season, and he gets a second go when things are back to normal, and when neither Cheslea or Arsenal are involved. 

After hearing Lampard once more stating the players did not carry out his instructions deciding to slow the game down and allow Arsenal onto them I'm just throwing this out there because for some time I have been a tad worried about our senior players.

Willian , when he has Tammy as a target man does as little in his power to pick him out as possible , strolls around uninterested.

Willian with Giroud , tears around like a man possessed interplaying with Giroud wherever possible 

Giroud with no Willian , was it just an off day , he was pretty ineffectual all game bar the early Pulisic interchange ? Remember the "little Tammy" snark from earlier in the year ?

Is there something more sinister going on in the background here ?

I feel there may be a little men V Boys clique going on and I hope it dies once Willian goes .

Probably me just reading too much into things but I'd like to know what others think .

27 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Probably me just reading too much into things but I'd like to know what others think .

When I hear managers say the staff don't carry out his instructions I worry for  the manager.  In any business, but especially football.

35 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

After hearing Lampard once more stating the players did not carry out his instructions deciding to slow the game down and allow Arsenal onto them I'm just throwing this out there because for some time I have been a tad worried about our senior players ...

6 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

When I hear managers say the staff don't carry out his instructions I worry for  the manager.  In any business, but especially football.

If it was said in complete sincerity, I'd agree with you.

But I think it's Frank just doing what he does best (PR/diplomacy in front or cameras) and saying the least offensive thing he can. The alternative is to say the players are rubbish. I suppose you could argue the subtext is that they're rubbish, but at least this way no specific person or weakness is being pointed at in public.

My struggle though is trying to get my head round what instructions he issued that they ignored. It seems from what he's said and watching the game like the instruction was 'do what you're doing, only be better at it' and while I can appreciate the sentiment and likely frustration (a recent return to line management has aged me years in just a few weeks), I'm not sure that it really counts as an 'instruction' or is likely to achieve much. Arsenal were having such repeated and simple joy playing the ball over the advanced James that I can well imagine that being told to be faster and more aggressive would have felt impossible. Indeed, given how some of the players physically broke and the ref's predilections, any such instructions might have literally been impossible to work with.

21 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Arsenal were having such repeated and simple joy playing the ball over the advanced James that I can well imagine that being told to be faster and more aggressive would have felt impossible.

Ferdinand went on a h/t rant about how any decent defenders should have worked it out early and dealt with it after the 2nd time.  Joe Cole assured everyone that certainly the coaching team would have spotted it and instructed the players on it at the break time.  Hate to say it but I suspect Ferdinand was more right than Joe Cole on this one.

21 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Indeed, given how some of the players physically broke

Are you suggesting that Azpi was struggling with his hamstring from early on, and the Bangyermam or Arteta had spotted this and was playing on it?
If so good shout.

paulw66   
9 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Ferdinand went on a h/t rant about how any decent defenders should have worked it out early and dealt with it after the 2nd time.  Joe Cole assured everyone that certainly the coaching team would have spotted it and instructed the players on it at the break time.  Hate to say it but I suspect Ferdinand was more right than Joe Cole on this one.

We played 3 at the back at the emirates and it worked so poorly, we ditched it after half an hour........then we repeated the trick, this time for the whole game.

When Azpi got injured, it was the perfect opportunity to go 4-3-3

5 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Are you suggesting that Azpi was struggling with his hamstring from early on, and the Bangyermam or Arteta had spotted this and was playing on it?
If so good shout.

I said exactly the same thing myself , if you're a professional footballer , you shouldn't need every decision to be made for you , Reece , Jorginho and Azpi should have noticed immediately what was happening and stopped it.

Post match Lampard said that the tactics were to press them which worked for the first goal then we just stopped doing it and started playing the ball around our own box in triangle inviting them on , something else he didn't want to happen.

Once this Bayern Munich farce is over with expect a volcanic eruption and players flying out the door , Lamps has high standards , if they players haven't they'll be off.

I'm expecting , Kepa , Caballero , Christensen , Emerson, Jorginho , Willian and Pedro for starters .

39 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

If so good shout.

I wish I had that foresight. 

I think Arteta knew Auba would win a foot race against Azpi and that's about it. He was right. 

28 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I said exactly the same thing myself , if you're a professional footballer , you shouldn't need every decision to be made for you , Reece , Jorginho and Azpi should have noticed immediately what was happening and stopped it.

Even if that means ignoring your manager's instructions? Being a bit facetious because to a degree we're all supposing what the instructions were based on what we saw with our own eyes and from what Lampard says to cameras (which should always be held lightly), but if you're told to press high and then the oppo don't meet you and start pinging the ball straight above your wing-back towards two pacy attackers who force their nearest CB to commit ... What can you actually do about that other than stop pressing so high?

Perhaps that is at least part of the issue. Players who lack the leadership to do one or the other.

1 minute ago, thevelourfog said:

I wish I had that foresight. 

I think Arteta knew Auba would win a foot race against Azpi and that's about it. He was right. 

Even if that means ignoring your manager's instructions? Being a bit facetious because to a degree we're all supposing what the instructions were based on what we saw with our own eyes and from what Lampard says to cameras (which should always be held lightly), but if you're told to press high and then the oppo don't meet you and start pinging the ball straight above your wing-back towards two pacy attackers who force their nearest CB to commit ... What can you actually do about that other than stop pressing so high?

Perhaps that is at least part of the issue. Players who lack the leadership to do one or the other.

Personally, I think after the first goal went in we thought we'd won the game and dived headfirst into complacency. 

I would imagine there has to be a meeting point between what the coach wants you to do and what you are able to do to combat your opponent and an understanding between the two parties. 

As destructive to our game plan the ball over the top to Aubamayang and Pepe was, the thing that really got my goat was constantly trying to play out of defence and inviting pressure onto ourselves when Alonso was stuck unable to go forward as he didn't have the pace to beat his man so kept having to give it back to Rudiger to hoof it into touch. It must have happened fifty times. 

Lampard mentioned that he could not understand why we kept doing that in his post match interview.