• Current Donation Goals

My Blood Is Blue

Season expectations/predictions/peculiarities 2020/21

As another new season approaches, I thought it worth opening up the discussion around what people's expectations are for the current season and predictions... I'll start.

Expectations
My expectations for Chelsea this season are that we'll close the gap between ourselves and Liverpool and Man City, I don't expect us to be in the title race come the very end of the season, but I expect us to be the 3rd best team in the country and to stay in touch with the top 2 for a large chunk of the season. I expect a domestic trophy, ideally FA Cup, but I think any trophy for our manager and this young squad will be a huge boost. In terms of Europe, I would expect us to progress in to the knockout stages and depending on the kindness of the draw, get through to at least the 1/4 finals.

Predictions

Premier League:
1. Man City
2. Liverpool
3. Chelsea
4. Man United
5. Tottenham
6. Leicester

FA Cup:
Chelsea - Semi Final
Winners - Liverpool

League Cup:
Chelsea - Winners

Champions League:
Chelsea - 1/4 finals
Winners - Bayern Munich

Ham   

Thanks for setting this up.....

I think the last couple of seasons will have taken it out of Liverpool. They don't have the squad depth of City or Chelsea.  I see them 3rd or 4th. Man City to finish a good 15 points ahead of us.

Predictions

Premier League:
1. Man City
2. Chelsea
3. Liverpool
4. Man United
5. Arsenal
6. Tottenham

FA Cup:
Chelsea - Winners

League Cup:
Man United - Winners

Champions League:
Chelsea - Semi finals
Winners - Bayern Munich

I'm expecting a top 3 finish, with the gap being closer than it was this season among the top 3. Champions League knockout stage is a must. In the domestic cups I expect at least one final seeing as we have good squad depth now (if the signings being mooted are completed).

Despite the considerable outlay we need to tamper our expectations a little. The kind of wholesale changes we are making this summer don't always work out right away. Tactical training, team cohesion and player partnerships/chemistry take time to form. Remember this is the first active transfer window of our rebuild project. I'd give Frank another (summer) window at the very least until I start demanding trophies!

Above all I want to see a clear improvement on last season, particularly in the 'defensive phase' as the jobless Guaido would say.

Edited by Tammy's right foot

Very early to be saying much concrete, will try to remember to post again when the window is nearer to closing. 

For now, my gut is Liverpool walk away with it again. We are not yet looking in title challenging shape and City don't seem to be doing much of anything to narrow the gap. 

1 minute ago, thevelourfog said:

Very early to be saying much concrete, will try to remember to post again when the window is nearer to closing. 

Quite.
90+ point seasons are extremely rare - even if City and Liverpool have both done it twice in the last 3 seasons.
We are not going to be anywhere near that level.  But perhap City and Pool won't be either.
Even 80+ point seasons are rare enough, a big jump from last years 66.

Three big question before we can start predicting,

1.  Will playing with no spectators or a third of spectators devastate football finances?  
Will they be able to reclaw some money back from tV in return for showng more games (at more times all week end, Mondays and Fridays)?
Or will that end up as a turn off and see even TV viewers lose interest?

2.  Assuming yes (at least to some extent) when will clubs act on the finance shortage and try to offload players and/or cut wages and transfer fees?  (At present people are still pretending nothing has happened).

3.  And assuming that Chelsea go against the trend and set out to buy success, will we go for it this season?  Or simply buy the biggest talent as and when it becomes available (ie Werner but no giant CB or mega keeper till they are up for sale).

Predictions

Premier League:
1. Chelsea:  106 pts
2. Man United: 78 pts
3. Man City: 76 pts
4. Liverpool: 64 pts
5. Wolves: 62pts
6. Leicester: 61 pts

FA Cup:
Chelsea - Winners

League Cup:
Chelsea - Winners

Champions League:
Chelsea - Winners

• Thanks 2

Rob B   

It’s hard to predict a position in the league because we’re not in control of what everyone else does, but due to the investment alone, we should be AT LEAST 10 points higher next season. 

Most seasons, 76 points would be enough to get you third, but in 16/17 you would have been fifth, whereas 20+ years ago Man United won the league on 75!!

Fans (and the hierarchy) will need to see progression however and for me, that is cutting out some of the silly defeats (West Ham, Bournemouth, Newcastle) and having a more competitive champions league run.

Fix the GK/Defence and this team has got serious potential 

paulw66   
2 hours ago, Rob B said:

It’s hard to predict a position in the league because we’re not in control of what everyone else does, but due to the investment alone, we should be AT LEAST 10 points higher next season. 

Most seasons, 76 points would be enough to get you third, but in 16/17 you would have been fifth.

Good point. If we gain 10 points and get 4th again, that is still progress 

16/17 was a freak. 70+ is enough for top 4 95% of the time 

As a club, if you are investing IRO 200m on upgrading the squad, you would start by looking a where you can improve results from last season.

I have excluded the relegated teams who took points off us, and see the matches below where Frank and the squad need to improve this season

West Ham 6pts (H/A)

Sheffield Utd 4pts (H/A)

Southampton 3pts (H)

Brighton 2pts (A)

Newcastle 3pts (A)

ManUre 3pts (H)

Of the 21pts above surely a target of 15-18 points improvement is no unrealistic

As I stated in a previous post reviewing the first 10 fixtures of the new season Frank needs to target a minimus of 25pts.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, CostaTheBlue said:

Predictions

Premier League:
1. Chelsea:  106 pts
2. Man United: 78 pts
3. Man City: 76 pts
4. Liverpool: 64 pts
5. Wolves: 62pts
6. Leicester: 61 pts

FA Cup:
Chelsea - Winners