• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Chelsea 1

I thought Werner looked sharp.His touch, movement , weight of pass all looked spot on.

Good pass by Ziyech which led to the goal. We certainly have lacked that creativity in behind since Cesc left. He also looks like he likes a foul! 

Despite never really being under much pressure, the defensive frailties are there to see. Let’s hope Silva and Chilwell can make us look more solid.

We still lack a big physical holding presence in midfield for me. Though we are seemingly not looking for this player. Unless the Rice links are to play there, but it seems that is being viewed as more a signing at CB. 

Edited by LeBoeufsGolfBall

Quite a few of the players out there really were just making up numbers rather than being promising youngsters for the future.  I guess loads of players are not fit or quarantined.

I counted 10 first team squad players H1, and 4 H2. = 14.
Then there were 3: Gallagher, Maatsen, Ampadu, who might be hoping to get into the squad one day and were typical pre-season players
4 who are really on their way out to Championship or lower level football, but got dragged across the Cobham fence to make up numbers as they wouldn't let the side down (Clarke-Salter, Baker, Baxter and McCormcik).
And 2, Lawrence and Vale, who were probably not expected to play at all but might be pushing in the future.

I can't help thinking that if Lewis Baker can get picked, players like Bats or Baka could.  I guess Frank can ask Baker he isn't in the squad but does he fancy a game at Brighton.  Harder to do the same with Bats of Baka.

No idea how weak the Brighton team was after h/t.  But we only looked better than them for the first 25 mins of H1.

Ziyech - I guess that goal from the corner for Ajax wasn't a fluke!  He looks fun.  Werner harder to judge but hopeful..
Sloppy penalties, one good Pen save, but an awful moment when Cabs came out, got nowhere near the cross and a tame header looped goalwards where he got extremely lucky and it hit the bar.

20 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

"Doesn't make risky runs"?  Not Tammy bashing?

Agenda driven from you. You've been crowing about him for years. 

He's not making any runs at the moment his confidence is completely shot. 

Near post, he's not there, rear post he's not there, offside he's there every time. 

Ham   
16 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Hypothesising where we would or wouldn't have been in a game he isn't involved in is just pointless supposition. Much like the saves Kepa wouldn't have made when he is not on the field 

He did very well to score 18 goals bearing in mind he makes the wrong runs, is always offside and makes low risk runs. If only he knew what he was doing 

I think you're mixing me up with someone who isn't a Tammy fan.  I am.  He did some amazing things last season but I'm still going to point out that in my opinion we wouldn't have scored that type of goal. 

He WAS offside far too many times last season. Totally unnecessarily too.  It was massively frustrating and I lost count of the number of times we had a breakaway which broke down or paused because nobody else had supported the break, not just Tammy. 

Most players have faults in their game and Tammy is no different. Just my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, Ham said:

He WAS offside far too many times last season.

So was Giroud.  So was Bats.  Previous seasons too as were Higuain and Morata.

3 minutes ago, Ham said:

Totally unnecessarily too. 

Mostly it is tactical.  Striker roams off side and either the defence line back off  or it relaxes knowing the CF is offside and the AMs or Kante or RLC or Mount sprint through into the space.  City do it all the time and it works for them.
It has been an intentional policy for us too - though not so successful.

paulw66   
31 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

We can't "wish" him a great player Paul, he is what he is, a good back up option. He did extremely well to get his goals but the second half of the season he was dreadful. 

Who'd have thought a 21 year old playing his first season in the first team would have a dip in form? 

Played a lot of football from August to December and in my opinion rushed back from injury too soon on at least one occasion. 

I can't really fathom why he is even being discussed in a pre season friendly he wasn't involved in 

2 pens given to Brighton, don't know what the first was for, 2nd was never a pen in a million years, Ref obviously told to make it a draw.

players took the knee and for some reason the crowd clapped, they should have given them dogs abuse

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Never happy said:

2 pens given to Brighton, don't know what the first was for, 2nd was never a pen in a million years, Ref obviously told to make it a draw.

players took the knee and for some reason the crowd clapped, they should have given them dogs abuse

The first wasn't a pen but the second was an unnecessary clip by Ampadu (after watching the replay). All he had to do was crowd his space and danger averted. That said, Ampadu can be a useful player and hopefully stays with the team this season (especially given we're likely not signing Rice).

46 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Who'd have thought a 21 year old playing his first season in the first team would have a dip in form? 

Played a lot of football from August to December and in my opinion rushed back from injury too soon on at least one occasion. 

I can't really fathom why he is even being discussed in a pre season friendly he wasn't involved in 

Mate, we're discussing marching bands and Chelsea pensioners, this is CFC net, we discuss everything! 

Anyway Ham and myself are both Tammy fans but the fact is once he was dropped for Giroud he seemed to fall apart. 

I'm willing him to be the player he hinted at myself. 

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

... an awful moment when Cabs came out, got nowhere near the cross and a tame header looped goalwards where he got extremely lucky and it hit the bar.

I caught the game from the 50th minute on, but noticed this and a few other occasions (that in fairness came to nothing, not even Brighton chances) where Caballero rushed out unnecessarily. It's a friendly so not digging him out, but worth pointing out given it's been denied on here that it's part of his game. It clearly is; when it goes well he'll look memorably commanding, but most often it's an issue.

Literally nothing of any consequence to take from the game. My first look at Gallagher live and I enjoyed watching him; had a good, busy hustle to him that might cause trouble with refs in a real game but stressed Brighton and speaks well of his mentality. 

How many fans were there? The attendance I saw (I think on screen during the game?) was about 8k but the match report says 2.5k were allowed in?