• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Chelsea 3

paulw66   
3 hours ago, Ham said:

Chilwell has been training for a few days now. 

1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Has he been doing full first-team training? My assumption was he was about 3 weeks away from full fitness when we signed him, so wasn't expecting to see him until the League cup match at earliest?

Expected to miss the first two league games 

paulw66   
4 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

My guess is:

Kepa

Azpilicueta  -  Zouma  -  Silva  -  Alonso

Kante  -  Jorginho

Ziyech  -  Mount  -  CHO

Werner

With Kova suspended and Chilwell and Pulisic inujured, the above is pretty much it. James had a knock too. 

Zouma or Rudiger is probably a 50/50, and maybe Havertz starts over CHO or Ziyech (injury?) 

Ham   
4 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Has he been doing full first-team training? My assumption was he was about 3 weeks away from full fitness when we signed him, so wasn't expecting to see him until the League cup match at earliest?

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Expected to miss the first two league games 

Ah. Gotcha. 

15 hours ago, paulw66 said:

With Kova suspended and Chilwell and Pulisic inujured, the above is pretty much it. James had a knock too. 

Zouma or Rudiger is probably a 50/50, and maybe Havertz starts over CHO or Ziyech (injury?) 

Havertz will be an interesting call, from what I’ve read he’s very much impressed in his first training sessions (unsurprisingly), so wouldn’t be shocked to see Frank throw him straight in.

I'd be amazed if Havertz doesnt start, can't think of any reason why he wouldn't. Its not like a normal season where he has come in late and missed pre season as we haven't had one.

Obviously its exciting to see the new players come and play, but I would be very surprised if Giroud is not in the starting line up.

He made such a difference from New Year onwards last season and I don't think that will be lost on Frank. As Werner is comfortable in wider areas from the left, Giroud is almost the perfect player to play off and around for Werner, in the early stages of his PL and Chelsea career. 

If they are all fit, I fully expect a front three of Werner - Giroud - Ziyech to start this game.

9 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

Obviously its exciting to see the new players come and play, but I would be very surprised if Giroud is not in the starting line up.

He made such a difference from New Year onwards last season and I don't think that will be lost on Frank. As Werner is comfortable in wider areas from the left, Giroud is almost the perfect player to play off and around for Werner, in the early stages of his PL and Chelsea career. 

If they are all fit, I fully expect a front three of Werner - Giroud - Ziyech to start this game.

Since the 2015/16 season he has played 224 games and only  17 games out wide.

It's a bit of a myth that he plays there, at least any serious amount of time. He is an out an out striker that very occasionally plays out wide and I would be shocked to see him play anywhere other than as our main striker unless we are seriously struggling with injuries.

Rob B   
6 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

unless we are seriously struggling with injuries.

You could argue that having lost Pedro and Willian,  Ziyech potentially injured, and Havertz only just joining,  that this could be the case.  

30 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Since the 2015/16 season he has played 224 games and only  17 games out wide.

It's a bit of a myth that he plays there, at least any serious amount of time. He is an out an out striker that very occasionally plays out wide and I would be shocked to see him play anywhere other than as our main striker unless we are seriously struggling with injuries.

Where does that information even come from and what level of accuracy can be attributed to it ? I have seen plenty of formations put up on SKy where they have the player playing in the wrong position. Just because some website somewhere thinks he started 17 games out wide from 224, does not mean the information is correct. It's a fluid situation, not an actual stat than can be verified like scoring a goal for example.

As for it being a myth.......I wouldn't be so sure of that.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8506533/Chelsea-best-Timo-Werner-playing-striker-wide-says-former-coach-Jesse-Marsch.html

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/Bundesliga/what-is-timo-werner-s-best-position-germany-winger-rb-leipzig-striker-512323.jsp

https://www.coachesvoice.com/bundesliga-timo-werner-leipzig-nagelsmann/

Edited by LeBoeufsGolfBall

20 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

Where does that information even come from and what level of accuracy can be attributed to it ? I have seen plenty of formations put up on SKy where they have the player playing in the wrong position. Just because some website somewhere thinks he started 17 games out wide from 224, does not mean the information is correct. It's a fluid situation, not an actual stat than can be verified like scoring a goal for example.

As for it being a myth.......I wouldn't be so sure of that.

Comes from transfer market.

I wouldn't know how accurate it is butI watch a lot of German football and can honestly say I can not really remember him playing out wide. It doesnt happen very often at all so would say those figures are fairly accurate.

Mentions him drifting out wide from a central position more than him playing there. Not unusual for a striker.

Doenst really say anything

'Werner also played on the left wing for a small but significant number of games in his last year at Leipzig'

Not sure what small but significant means, other than the fact that he didn't play much there.

At the end of the day we shall see in the next few weeks what Frank's plans are but I'd be very surprised to see a striker who averages a goal every other game to play out wide to accommodate Giroud.