• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Chelsea 3

31 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

Not a match I will spend too long thinking or worrying about to be honest. Poor performance for sure, but job done and we start with a win.

Positives - Zouma and Christensen did fairly well, but stiffer tasks ahead. Werner looked very sharp in that first half and Barkley improved the team when he came on.

Negatives - The shape/formation didn't look right and didn't seem to suit any of the midfielders. RLC was woeful after being given a chance to impress, looks more a mental issue to me. Havertz probably the less said about that debut the better, but its one game after a few days training and in a new league. Still maintain that we look a far better team centrally with Kovacic than without him. Glad to have him back available at the weekend and he needs to start.

Again, we concede a goal that the GK should save and it has the potential to completely change the result. We got bailed out but an undeserved great goal a minute later. The Kepa mistakes will continue to happen, getting bailed out by 30 yard rockets moments later , will not continue to happen!

Agree with pretty much everything here. Loftus-Cheek was dreadful, no fight, no passion. It was like he wasn't even trying to play. He's way off being anywhere near match fit, question then is why on earth did he start? Barkley looked lively and may have booked himself a start for Liverpool. But I wouldn't be surprised to see a different shape on Sunday - perhaps even a 433 with Kanté, Kovacic and Jorginho in midfield. 

Havertz I can excuse, but I am slightly worried. He looked well off the pace and a bit slow on the ball. I think we will have to have realistic expectations for him this season. He won't rock up here being an instant star. I reckon this season is about him getting used to the pace and intensity of the league and to pack on some more muscle and strength. I was already thinking that he will need time and patience, nothing I saw yesterday has changed my mind. 

The defense is a bit more tricky. I've been very, very vocal about Christensen in the past but he was very good yesterday. He got stuck in, defended well and wasn't afraid to put his body in the way. Zouma was also solid which makes it so much harder to pick a back four agaist Liverpool. Silva I reckon has the qualities we lack in terms of leadership. The logical CB-pairing for me is Silva/Christensen - Zouma/Rüdiger. But it would be harsh to bench Christensen after that display...

Kepa is just not good enough. The issues with him was well displayed yesterday, he simply cannot concede a goal like that. It wasn't a howler, but it was a shot that he should save 95% of the time. His problem is that he rarely saves such shorts unless the fall in the ultimate height for him (their chance in the first half). He is below average in most attributes needed for a keeper and it's an absolute joke we have paid £72m for him. He's a £20m keeper at best (if even that). I fully expect Mendy to walk into the starting XI and I say that without ever having seen him play. If he isn't able to do that, signig him makes no sense at all. We need a first choice keeper, not another pretender. 

2 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

I don't think they have got a point. We are one of the few teams who respected the fifa fair play rules ( I don't hear Klopp having a pop at City) , United spent 200 mill last season ( don't hear Klopp having a pop at United) , Liverpool's squad was not built on a shoestring .. It cost big money and Dippers regularly outspent us. And finally Kloppy, we got 150mill from Hazard sale burning a hole in our balance sheet and two seasons of spending to do in one season. I'm sure you'd love a little walk in the park this season. Toothy idiot. 

Every player bar Trent Arnold and Neco "who" Williams in their first team squad was bought in. 

They have two more "Youth" players too. 

One they bought from Chelsea and one they bought from Fulham. 

Klopp is, a hypocrite and the smiling avuncular figure is a mask. 

Bison   
10 hours ago, Whataloadofballacks said:

So why do so many of us disagree with you?

A cretinous post following a 3-1 opening day win.

Because many can't separate Lampard the footballer and Lampard the coach. Not my fault.

paulw66   

Are people really crying about Lamptey? 

Yes, he's a good footballer, and he played well last night, but he is the same age as Reece James, who was Captain and POTY in that youth side, and the same bloke that banged one in for us from 30 yards last night. Lamptey made the sensible choice to move on, and good luck to him. The thing that will stop being a top full back is his size. He is 5"5 which is very limiting in the modern game. If you are small, you need to be an incredilbe player to play at the top level. Even Cole was 5"9 and he was the best player in the world in his position. James, on the other hand, is built like a tank.

• Like 1

paulw66   
1 hour ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

Not a match I will spend too long thinking or worrying about to be honest. Poor performance for sure, but job done and we start with a win.

Positives - Zouma and Christensen did fairly well, but stiffer tasks ahead. Werner looked very sharp in that first half and Barkley improved the team when he came on.

Negatives - The shape/formation didn't look right and didn't seem to suit any of the midfielders. RLC was woeful after being given a chance to impress, looks more a mental issue to me. Havertz probably the less said about that debut the better, but its one game after a few days training and in a new league. Still maintain that we look a far better team centrally with Kovacic than without him. Glad to have him back available at the weekend and he needs to start.

Again, we concede a goal that the GK should save and it has the potential to completely change the result. We got bailed out but an undeserved great goal a minute later. The Kepa mistakes will continue to happen, getting bailed out by 30 yard rockets moments later , will not continue to happen!

Nice summary.

I would add that in the long run, it might be the best thing for Havertz. It was a very good snapshot of what playing against a bottom half team away from home in the PL is all about. You can't stroll about and expect to get away with it. There are very few walkovers in the PL, unlike the Bundesliga whose bottom 6 are awful. 

On the goal we conceded, of course he should save it, but blaming him alone disguises that their goal was coming and was completely deserved. We got in at HT 1-0 a touch fortunately and I was thinking surely the second half we can't play as poorly. I was dissapointed not to see a reaction from the start of the second half, and luckily 2 things happened, 1. they got their equaliser with a lot of time left, and 2. RJ got us out of jail with his wonder strike. 

RLC had a shocker, and as much as I hate to say it, Barkley played well when he came on

paulw66   

Plus point.....2 point gain on last season. Anything earned on Sunday is a plus too.

40 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

Agree with pretty much everything here. Loftus-Cheek was dreadful, no fight, no passion. It was like he wasn't even trying to play. He's way off being anywhere near match fit, question then is why on earth did he start? Barkley looked lively and may have booked himself a start for Liverpool. But I wouldn't be surprised to see a different shape on Sunday - perhaps even a 433 with Kanté, Kovacic and Jorginho in midfield. 

Havertz I can excuse, but I am slightly worried. He looked well off the pace and a bit slow on the ball. I think we will have to have realistic expectations for him this season. He won't rock up here being an instant star. I reckon this season is about him getting used to the pace and intensity of the league and to pack on some more muscle and strength. I was already thinking that he will need time and patience, nothing I saw yesterday has changed my mind. 

The defense is a bit more tricky. I've been very, very vocal about Christensen in the past but he was very good yesterday. He got stuck in, defended well and wasn't afraid to put his body in the way. Zouma was also solid which makes it so much harder to pick a back four agaist Liverpool. Silva I reckon has the qualities we lack in terms of leadership. The logical CB-pairing for me is Silva/Christensen - Zouma/Rüdiger. But it would be harsh to bench Christensen after that display...

Kepa is just not good enough. The issues with him was well displayed yesterday, he simply cannot concede a goal like that. It wasn't a howler, but it was a shot that he should save 95% of the time. His problem is that he rarely saves such shorts unless the fall in the ultimate height for him (their chance in the first half). He is below average in most attributes needed for a keeper and it's an absolute joke we have paid £72m for him. He's a £20m keeper at best (if even that). I fully expect Mendy to walk into the starting XI and I say that without ever having seen him play. If he isn't able to do that, signig him makes no sense at all. We need a first choice keeper, not another pretender. 

The problem with Christensen is this is what happens. He plays well and often against average teams, Lamps looks to cement him as first choice and then he gets caught out when the opposition increases in terms of quality or physicality.

Villa home and away last season. He produced good dominant displays, then was completely caught out in the next couple of games (I can't remember who the opposition was now)

Edited by LeBoeufsGolfBall

paulw66   
3 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

The problem with Christensen is this is what happens. He plays well and often against average teams, Lamps looks to cement him as first choice and then he gets caught out when the opposition increases in terms of quality or physicality.

Villa home and away last season. He produced good dominant displays, then was completely caught out in the next couple of games (I can't remember who the opposition was now)

Yes, he along with others have a window to impress before all the new signings are ready, and one or two are back to fitness. he needs to put a run together. Same goes for Zouma (my MOM yesterday), RJ, RLC, Barkley etc.

Kovacic back next week, and suddenly RLC could find himself out of the squad. 

21 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Are people really crying about Lamptey? 

Yes, he's a good footballer, and he played well last night, but he is the same age as Reece James, who was Captain and POTY in that youth side, and the same bloke that banged one in for us from 30 yards last night. Lamptey made the sensible choice to move on, and good luck to him. The thing that will stop being a top full back is his size. He is 5"5 which is very limiting in the modern game. If you are small, you need to be an incredilbe player to play at the top level. Even Cole was 5"9 and he was the best player in the world in his position. James, on the other hand, is built like a tank.

The bold bit is the key here.

Yes he played well and I hope he goes on a has a really good career. He deserves praise for his performance and enjoyed the batlle between him and Mount throughout the game, but it will only be a matter of time before teams look to expose his height.

Playing a wing back role does probably reduce that to some degree. In a back four, he will become targeted. Had they played a back four last night, we would just need to keeping pinging long balls to Alonso all evening.

James is clearly built to be a modern day footballer and has versatility. Lamptey's lack of height will add limitations to his effectiveness.

3pts away in a game we only got 1pt in last year.
Lots of new signings coming in, some unavailable, who haven't yet gelled after just a few training sessions.
Some regulars from last season missing for various reasons.
What little pre-season we've had has been disrupted by internationals and isolating due to C-19 regulations.
... and people are complaining that we didn't look brilliant!

RLC looked way off the pace, but he was out for 13 months and played very little once he returned. Yes he was disappointing last night, but I'm willing to give him time. He won't be a starter once everyone is fit, but I believe he can still offer us something.

Kepa can't grow the extra inches needed to stop the goal, but he looked devoid of confidence before then, anyway. He needs to go.

Zouma and Christensen looked solid. Kanté looked as if he was back to the player of 2016-17, 17-18 & 18-19

Havertz had a quiet game but showed a few glimpses of what's to come. After he lost the ball upfield, it was good to see him chase back 80m or so to win it back.

Werner was excellent. Good movement, tireless running. Once the front players have got used to each other I can see him getting plenty of goals.

Not an exciting or particularly entertaining performance, but 3 points when you don't play well is what champions do on a regular basis. Tougher game on Sunday, but in some ways better suited to the style of our attackers.

Edited by Bob Singleton
Typo
  • Like 1