• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Chelsea 3

paulw66   
3 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

3pts away in a game we only got 1pt in last year.
Lots of new signings coming in, some unavailable, who haven't yet gelled after just a few training sessions.
Some regulars from last season missing for various reasons.
What little pre-season we've had has been disrupted by internationals and isolating due to C-19 regulations.
... and people are complaining that we didn't look brilliant!

RLC looked way off the pace, but he was out for 13 months and played very little once he returned. Yes he was disappointing last night, but I'm willing to give him time. He won't be a starter once everyone is fit, but I believe he can still offer us something.

Kepa can't grow the extra inches needed to stop the goal, but he looked devoid of confidence before then, anyway. He needs to go.

Zouma and Christensen looked solid. Kanté looked as if he was back to the player of 2016-17, 17-18 & 18-19

Havertz had a quiet game but showed a few glimpses of what's to come. After he lost the ball upfield, it was good to see him chace back 80m or so to win it back.

Werner was excellent. Good movement, tireless running. Once the front players have got used to each other I can see him getting plenty of goals.

Not an exciting or particularly entertaining performance, but 3 points when you don't play well is what champions do on a regular basis. Tougher game on Sunday, but in some ways better suited to the style of our attackers.

Seconded. 

Blue Rod   
3 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

One game in. 3 points. 3 goals. Same old moaning.  I seemed to remember a bet we had last season at some point. I said we'd finish top 4 and you said we had no chance!! 

I can't remember having a bet on finishing top 4. Never thought that was such an impossible or breathtaking feat anyway.

People should stop talking up this top 4 finish. This team has multiple problems and I don't see the solutions right now. 

Had a good laugh at this from one of the paper's reviews of the match last night...

Alonso, who seems to be playing each game through his own portable section of peat bog.

Not a great performance but as FL said it's been a disrupted and short pre season with some players in quarantine and the international break.

Kepa was too slow to move for their goal. Best players were Werner, Barkley, James and Kante improved as the game went on.

Edited by charlie_sw69

Blue Rod   
1 hour ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

yeah - looks good in a side destined for the championship.

If he was that good, one of the bigger boys in the PL would have taken him or even  a Bundesliga team "the current trend"

I can't say why a top team hasn't come for him any more than I can say why Chelsea would pay £70m for Kepa, or why no one has offered £100m for, say Mason Mount. All I can say is, Lamptey looks good each time I watch him, no matter the opponents 

• Like 1

I've calmed down a bit now but that was as poor a first half as I can recall, no shape, no confidence, no idea. The collective midfield was appalling, Kante diabolical as was RLC. 

Second half much the same until James got a worldy. 

OK it was the first game of the season, different players had different fitness levels but, not for the first time when the side was playing so poorly I had to question what they do in training and whether anyone's game had improved under the new regime. 

I am absolutely certain we are not working on shape or patterns of play, nobody seems to know what to do or where to be there is literally no cohesion to anything we do, everything is done on the fly. 

The midfield selection was made as if nobody had ever met the players before and didn't know their individual strengths or weaknesses . RLC was garbage and needs to be sold, maybe we  can do a twofer with Kepa somewhere? 

Kante improved immensely in the second half as did James. 

The opposition suited Christensen to a tee. Maupay is short and runs around a lot and doesn't dish it out so of course Christensen looked more assured. Silva gets his place no doubt about it, crikey Long John Silver, he of the wooden leg would fancy his chances. 

Christensen was still second best to Zouma. 

Werner looks a great player with a great attitude, Havertz was dreadful one or two glimmers aside but I don't expect he thought he'd be playing on the wing whilst RLC stole some more oxygen. 

Barkley absolutely man of the match. 

Let's hope we do some, you know, training, before the Liverpool game, five a side and practicing shooting isn't enough. 

Hilariosly we're two points up on last year. 

A penalty (what are they?) a Worldy and an OG. Lol. 

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Every player bar Trent Arnold and Neco "who" Williams in their first team squad was bought in. 

They have two more "Youth" players too. 

One they bought from Chelsea and one they bought from Fulham. 

Klopp is, a hypocrite and the smiling avuncular figure is a mask. 

It was a ridiculas jibe meant to ruffle Lampard. We started this campaign with 3 academy products in our first team...AC, James and Mount, and this season will also see plenty of games for Abraham and Gilmour.  As for last season , I'd like to know the last time Liverpool finished top 4 of the Prem with the amount of academy players and minutes we did. Never under Klopps reign is the answer. And probably the answer is 'never' full stop. 

JaneB   
4 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

....what's that Skippy....(tut tut tut).....its Timmy you say?.....( tut tut tut).....Timmys fallen down the well!!!....( tut tut tut)....come on guys we gotta follow Skippy!!!

Only pulling your leg Chara and I don't really know why your post reminded me of Skippy The Bush Kangaroo show....however....mostly agree with you. I'd have hated to have played really well and dropped points. Some dodgy performances but Werner s was the highlight. Liked his interview too. Seems a nice character. When asked about his injury for Liverpool game he said " I will play...you don't have injurys for a game like that". You'll do for me Mr Werner. 

Yes, I saw the interview, very impressive.  I wasn't expecting that answer at all.

29 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

I can't remember having a bet on finishing top 4. Never thought that was such an impossible or breathtaking feat anyway.

People should stop talking up this top 4 finish. This team has multiple problems and I don't see the solutions right now. 

I think it was one of those moments when you were on one of your " everything I ever predicted has come true" moments. So I said "well predict if we will finish top 4 if you're so clever" and you said "zero chance". I then said we would definitely finish top 4 and we shook on the outcome for £500!! Pretty sure that's how the conversation panned out. Shall I pm my bank details to you?   

• Haha 1