• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Chelsea 3

JaneB   
1 hour ago, Bison said:

Because many can't separate Lampard the footballer and Lampard the coach. Not my fault.

Speaking for myself, I most definitely can.  If Frank doesn't cut it he'll be gone, we all know that.  It's just almost as if some supporters want him to fail so they can say 'I told you so'.

Last night wasn't great but we got a result, job done.  I'm worried about certain things but Frank is an intelligent man and if we can see the problems, surely he can.  This is his job of a lifetime, maybe it's come too early, but he deserves a real shot at it.

I've also read elsewhere people saying we only won because James scored a wonder goal (forgetting our third).  What does that even mean?  We should be encouraged that the guy can do that for us.  

JaneB   
2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Are people really crying about Lamptey? 

Yes, he's a good footballer, and he played well last night, but he is the same age as Reece James, who was Captain and POTY in that youth side, and the same bloke that banged one in for us from 30 yards last night. Lamptey made the sensible choice to move on, and good luck to him. The thing that will stop being a top full back is his size. He is 5"5 which is very limiting in the modern game. If you are small, you need to be an incredilbe player to play at the top level. Even Cole was 5"9 and he was the best player in the world in his position. James, on the other hand, is built like a tank.

I think Joe Cole was actually only 5'7 as was Dennis Wise and Zola was only 5'6.

But I guess the game has moved on since then as everything does. 

paulw66   
42 minutes ago, JaneB said:

I think Joe Cole was actually only 5'7 as was Dennis Wise and Zola was only 5'6.

But they didn't play in defense either 

If you play a back 4, it is very hard to accomodate someone that small at FB 

2 hours ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

The problem with Christensen is this is what happens. He plays well and often against average teams, Lamps looks to cement him as first choice and then he gets caught out when the opposition increases in terms of quality or physicality.

Villa home and away last season. He produced good dominant displays, then was completely caught out in the next couple of games (I can't remember who the opposition was now)

True. We’ve been here before and he has a history of not being able to keep up form for a full season. The few glimpses here and there is his hallmark. But if we have any interest in giving him a chance then I’m not sure the right course of action is to bench him after that performance. 

Yes, he along with others have a window to impress before all the new signings are ready, and one or two are back to fitness. he needs to put a run together. Same goes for Zouma (my MOM yesterday), RJ, RLC, Barkley etc.

Kovacic back next week, and suddenly RLC could find himself out of the squad. 

And rightly so... 

Are people really crying about Lamptey? 

Yes, he's a good footballer, and he played well last night, but he is the same age as Reece James, who was Captain and POTY in that youth side, and the same bloke that banged one in for us from 30 yards last night. Lamptey made the sensible choice to move on, and good luck to him. The thing that will stop being a top full back is his size. He is 5"5 which is very limiting in the modern game. If you are small, you need to be an incredilbe player to play at the top level. Even Cole was 5"9 and he was the best player in the world in his position. James, on the other hand, is built like a tank.

I don’t think anyone is crying about Lamptey. Rather I think most have acknowledged that he made the right decision to move on, having both Azpi and James ahead of him in the pecking order. 

But he has probably showed that he’s a fair bit better than what the club or us fans thought he was. 

1 hour ago, JaneB said:

Speaking for myself, I most definitely can.  If Frank doesn't cut it he'll be gone, we all know that.  It's just almost as if some supporters want him to fail so they can say 'I told you so'.

Last night wasn't great but we got a result, job done.  I'm worried about certain things but Frank is an intelligent man and if we can see the problems, surely he can.  This is his job of a lifetime, maybe it's come too early, but he deserves a real shot at it.

I've also read elsewhere people saying we only won because James scored a wonder goal (forgetting our third).  What does that even mean?  We should be encouraged that the guy can do that for us.  

It means that Reece's goal arrived out of nowhere, rather than as a consequence of our superior level of play in the match generally. Of course it's good that we have a player, (hopefully more), who can do that from time to time, but it's obviously not something that cannot be relied upon week on week. These are early days obviously, but the comment is valid all the same.

2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I've calmed down a bit now but that was as poor a first half as I can recall, no shape, no confidence, no idea. The collective midfield was appalling, Kante diabolical as was RLC. 

Second half much the same until James got a worldy. 

OK it was the first game of the season, different players had different fitness levels but, not for the first time when the side was playing so poorly I had to question what they do in training and whether anyone's game had improved under the new regime. 

I am absolutely certain we are not working on shape or patterns of play, nobody seems to know what to do or where to be there is literally no cohesion to anything we do, everything is done on the fly. 

The midfield selection was made as if nobody had ever met the players before and didn't know their individual strengths or weaknesses . RLC was garbage and needs to be sold, maybe we  can do a twofer with Kepa somewhere? 

Kante improved immensely in the second half as did James. 

The opposition suited Christensen to a tee. Maupay is short and runs around a lot and doesn't dish it out so of course Christensen looked more assured. Silva gets his place no doubt about it, crikey Long John Silver, he of the wooden leg would fancy his chances. 

Christensen was still second best to Zouma. 

Werner looks a great player with a great attitude, Havertz was dreadful one or two glimmers aside but I don't expect he thought he'd be playing on the wing whilst RLC stole some more oxygen. 

Barkley absolutely man of the match. 

Let's hope we do some, you know, training, before the Liverpool game, five a side and practicing shooting isn't enough. 

Hilariosly we're two points up on last year. 

A penalty (what are they?) a Worldy and an OG. Lol. 

I'm absolutely in agreement with this post in general, and the emboldened part in particular. Congratulations to you Mr Kelly and not for the first time.

There have been a number of interviews I've seen Frank do in which he says that he needs time to get across, (particularly to the large contingent of newcomers), how HE want the team to play. The style of play that he's aiming for. That's not a new comment, he made it on more than one occasion last season too.

Well, I think like Mark, I'm of the opinion that, so far at least, I can't see any evidence of any shared style of play having been adopted. Everything is indeed - "done on the fly".

OK, it's early days for this season of course, but that state of affairs was apparent last season too. 

1 hour ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

Where's DWMH Summary?

On that subject, Droy was very prominent by his absence on the MDF last night. Might have been for the first time in my memory. Maybe others might remember others or know more about this present occurrence.

Hope he's OK. You know, given "the times we're living through" and all that.

1 hour ago, JaneB said:

messi

I'm not going to have a go at the coach, the tactics, the players, individual performances, the fans, the weather or our 3rd strip. To suggest coherence should be evident with players that are strangers to each other and almost zero preparation is not being fair. Lets get a few games under our belt but can we please beat dippers next week.

JaneB   
37 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

It means that Reece's goal arrived out of nowhere, rather than as a consequence of our superior level of play in the match generally. Of course it's good that we have a player, (hopefully more), who can do that from time to time, but it's obviously not something that cannot be relied upon week on week. These are early days obviously, but the comment is valid all the same.

Thank you.
Good lord, where have you sprung from?